cold starts
11 posts
• Page 1 of 1
cold starts
Would there be any issues turning the heat pad on in the morning as i go to work to pre heat the wash before running it, i noticed that being so cold cold at the moment it takes so much more to get the still up and running,
i have my heat pad set at about 25 so when i got home and transfer to still it would heat up much quicker.

i have my heat pad set at about 25 so when i got home and transfer to still it would heat up much quicker.

-

Tasturbo - Regular

- Posts: 29
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:33 am
- Location: Tasmania NW
- Stills: turbo 500
Re: cold starts
That seems like a reasonable work around to me.
I cannot forsee any problems.
Robert.
I cannot forsee any problems.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: cold starts
You shouldn't have any issue, after degassing and letting settle, I often switch the heat back on the day before I run it.
With my insulated fermenters I can get it up to Mid 30's, which makes a load of difference when the temps are in single figures over night.
With my insulated fermenters I can get it up to Mid 30's, which makes a load of difference when the temps are in single figures over night.
-

Capt-Cudellez - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 1139
- Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:22 am
- Location: Scotland
- Stills: SS VM, Stripper, Pot
Re: cold starts
Sounds like a plan thanx, the brews are just over 2 weeks old when goin to still.
-

Tasturbo - Regular

- Posts: 29
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:33 am
- Location: Tasmania NW
- Stills: turbo 500
Re: cold starts
sounds like an good idea - are you doing 1 run per night?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: cold starts
Until you try some stuff that is out of your comfort zone/experience level, it can seem pretty freaky.
With a little experience you will become a little more chilled and "fly"
Keep playin', it will soon become second nature.
Robert.
With a little experience you will become a little more chilled and "fly"
Keep playin', it will soon become second nature.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: cold starts
Mash wrote:sounds like an good idea - are you doing 1 run per night?
yes i only run it once per night, that takes long enuff and longer when its single digit start ups.
-

Tasturbo - Regular

- Posts: 29
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:33 am
- Location: Tasmania NW
- Stills: turbo 500
Re: cold starts
Although the nights are currently getting longer where I am, the idea of two reflux runs of an evening are a dream
Robert.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: cold starts
If you set the heat pad to 30c I don't think it would harm anything.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: cold starts
Mash wrote:If you set the heat pad to 30c I don't think it would harm anything.
IF YOU DO THIS TO A PREVIOULY RACKED WASH......
Otherwise I forsee off flavours coming through.
But hey, try it and let us know how it goes.
I know shit and mostly make it up as I go along.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: cold starts
I would agree with you and considered this in my answer and came to the conclusion it only a little longer than bringing it up to the boil.
Also might depend on how old the wash is.
Let's see
Also might depend on how old the wash is.
Let's see
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
11 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest