First spirit run in progress

The distillation process itself

First spirit run in progress

Postby guest5234 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:01 pm

3 stripping runs of 3 x 25 litres of cider at 7% which made 3 gallon at 40%.....into grainfather which I turned down to 88c by turning to mash setting....started collecting after throwing first 250ml. Ist 250ml jar was 80% I am on my 15 250ml jar and it is still coming out at 70%...when should I stop collecting? I must be well into my tails by now.
User avatar
guest5234
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm

Re: First spirit run in progress

Postby Icefever » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:14 pm

When you hit 30% abv or lower.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
User avatar
Icefever
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Kingdom of Mercia

Re: First spirit run in progress

Postby guest5234 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:35 pm

Cheers, so chuck everything below 30%
User avatar
guest5234
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm

Re: First spirit run in progress

Postby Icefever » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:45 pm

That's the general consensus...some go down to 20%
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
User avatar
Icefever
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Kingdom of Mercia

Re: First spirit run in progress

Postby gaza the instructor » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:18 pm

is this on the reflux or copper?
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
User avatar
gaza the instructor
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: sunny surrey
Stills: s.s&t500 copper

Re: First spirit run in progress

Postby Easydrinker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:28 am

Looking at the numbers I would assume reflux,
I don't see a pot head running that high for that long.


Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: First spirit run in progress

Postby Curmudgeon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:39 am

I'm fairly sure it's pot head on grainfather boiler. Seems entirely probable to me as I do spirit run with 30% rather than 40% and run at full speed on T500 boiler and get a lot at 65%+. With the grainfather boiler turned down it should work fine for a slower run, especially if indoors and/or insulated.

Edit: if it is standard still spirits type pot head with a thermometer measuring temperature at top of vapour, I'd certainly start measuring/separating for tails at somewhere around 90 degrees centigrade, expecting to hit them around 92 degrees and be well into them by 95 degrees.

Slowing of temperature increase at around 85-86 when entering hearts is very obvious and same again for faster increase when exiting hearts at 90+ (depending on wash, ambient temperature, power limiting or not, etc etc)
Last edited by Curmudgeon on Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Curmudgeon
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
Stills: pot head

Re: First spirit run in progress

Postby RumJohn » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:50 am

@guest3254: What you might consider next time you do a run, is to do the math and determine before hand what you might achieve from the run. e.g. If you have a 100L wash at 10%, the maximum alcohol possible at 100% ABV is 10L. So if when done your final average is 50% ABV, you would have 20L.

Doing the math throughout the process will help you determine many factors. I often measure the ABV % left in the boiler after a spirit run. It helps me determine if I pulled the plug at the right time.
User avatar
RumJohn
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 am
Location: Sanya, China
Stills: Homegrown

Re: First spirit run in progress

Postby Curmudgeon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:53 am

RJ is right as always. Those of us with smaller stills need to either make super safe cuts or use inferior methods to guesstimate as we will have smearing.
User avatar
Curmudgeon
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
Stills: pot head

Re: First spirit run in progress

Postby Easydrinker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:10 am

I routinely measure the abv and volume left in the boiler.
Knowledge can be simply learned.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: First spirit run in progress

Postby guest5234 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:10 am

I started the grainfather on full power 2kw and when I started to get fast drips I turned it down to a quarter 500w, it came out fast drips till I hit 50% when I turned it back to fast strip down to 20% which I collected for feints.
User avatar
guest5234
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm

Re: First spirit run in progress

Postby guest5234 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:14 am

RumJohn wrote:@guest3254: What you might consider next time you do a run, is to do the math and determine before hand what you might achieve from the run. e.g. If you have a 100L wash at 10%, the maximum alcohol possible at 100% ABV is 10L. So if when done your final average is 50% ABV, you would have 20L.

Doing the math throughout the process will help you determine many factors. I often measure the ABV % left in the boiler after a spirit run. It helps me determine if I pulled the plug at the right time.

Thanks for the tips, the final spirits taste good in the hearts section....now the problem of blending after a couple of days of letting the spirit breath, ::)
User avatar
guest5234
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm

Re: First spirit run in progress

Postby guest5234 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:18 am

Curmudgeon wrote:I'm fairly sure it's pot head on grainfather boiler. Seems entirely probable to me as I do spirit run with 30% rather than 40% and run at full speed on T500 boiler and get a lot at 65%+. With the grainfather boiler turned down it should work fine for a slower run, especially if indoors and/or insulated.

Edit: if it is standard still spirits type pot head with a thermometer measuring temperature at top of vapour, I'd certainly start measuring/separating for tails at somewhere around 90 degrees centigrade, expecting to hit them around 92 degrees and be well into them by 95 degrees.

Slowing of temperature increase at around 85-86 when entering hearts is very obvious and same again for faster increase when exiting hearts at 90+ (depending on wash, ambient temperature, power limiting or not, etc etc)

Cheers, run 2kw till you hit hearst then cut to 500w, back up to 2kw when entering tails.
User avatar
guest5234
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm

Re: First spirit run in progress

Postby guest5234 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:46 am

decided to just keep the middle 30% and just maybe blend a bit of heads and tails and put the rest into feints jar
User avatar
guest5234
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm


Return to Distillation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest