Magic
6 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Magic
Am I alone in finding something almost magical about what we do? We take sugar and water then we add the special ingredient that transforms that mixture into alcohol. Those wonderful little creatures multiply and feed and their byproduct is a wash which when we heat and cool produces a heady spirit. Everything in the process is pretty simple yet produces something wonderful when treated with respect and moderation.
At this moment I have 2 airlocks bubbling away and it never fails to fill me with awe. Ever since I was a teenager with the first forays into horrible 1970s home-brew, and later on splattering the kitchen with wine that went berserk in the demijohn, the process has never failed to fill me with a sense of magic and anticipation. I'm not in the slightest bit religious, but if there is a god he certainly gave mankind an incredible friend in that micro-organism called yeast.
At this moment I have 2 airlocks bubbling away and it never fails to fill me with awe. Ever since I was a teenager with the first forays into horrible 1970s home-brew, and later on splattering the kitchen with wine that went berserk in the demijohn, the process has never failed to fill me with a sense of magic and anticipation. I'm not in the slightest bit religious, but if there is a god he certainly gave mankind an incredible friend in that micro-organism called yeast.
-

Thunderbird - Regular

- Posts: 92
- Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:24 am
- Location: The Cotswolds
Re: Magic
Oh the wonders of youth.
"Dont let your youthful enthusiasm over come your common sense."
said some old git to me once
"Dont let your youthful enthusiasm over come your common sense."
said some old git to me once

Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Magic
So the choices are a) you have had a long boozy lunch or b) or you are bored watching the still temps. Lol.
On a serious note, it is a bit too easy to take em for granted. Like you I have had my share of 'episodes' since Boots kits. But the current quality and knowledge is certainly much improved.
On a serious note, it is a bit too easy to take em for granted. Like you I have had my share of 'episodes' since Boots kits. But the current quality and knowledge is certainly much improved.
Last edited by Mash on Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Magic
These little yeastie feckers have been doing what they need to do to survive for millenia.
We came along and learned to harvest them to our own ends.
I see no magic, but accept that nature is fecking awesome.
And most days it makes me smile.
And that is as close to religion as I get.
Robert.
We came along and learned to harvest them to our own ends.
I see no magic, but accept that nature is fecking awesome.
And most days it makes me smile.
And that is as close to religion as I get.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Magic
Touche. Minus the implied French accent. My keyboard speaks many languages. I do not have the time to learn the needed keystrokes.
Je suis desolais.
Robert.
Je suis desolais.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
6 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest