Can I run alcohol through the air still?
25 posts
• Page 2 of 2 • 1, 2
Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?
Just ordered that book from Amazon to add to my library. Thanks for pointing me to it.
-

Myles - Master Distiller

- Posts: 692
- Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm
Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?
Does anybody think there might be some truth in this fire risk rumour?
I can't help wondering why the manufacturers are SO reluctant to recommend double distilling. And people like the LoveBrewing guy (who reckons he's an expert on distilling) has NEVER even suggested a double distil is possible on the AirStill - and he says for example that the Barrel 674 (whiskey from malt extract) can only be done on the Alembic. I know that's not true because I'm now drinking the barrel 674 from my very own airstill.
I wonder if the fear of the manufacturer is that some drongo is going to put some 60% spirit in for a second run so they avoid all talk of running high strength alcohol in the still.
iMake aren't stupid so there must be some underlying reason....guess I could ask them!
I can't help wondering why the manufacturers are SO reluctant to recommend double distilling. And people like the LoveBrewing guy (who reckons he's an expert on distilling) has NEVER even suggested a double distil is possible on the AirStill - and he says for example that the Barrel 674 (whiskey from malt extract) can only be done on the Alembic. I know that's not true because I'm now drinking the barrel 674 from my very own airstill.
I wonder if the fear of the manufacturer is that some drongo is going to put some 60% spirit in for a second run so they avoid all talk of running high strength alcohol in the still.
iMake aren't stupid so there must be some underlying reason....guess I could ask them!
-

ITMA - Regular

- Posts: 67
- Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:09 pm
- Location: South Yorkshire
- Stills: Air, T500 + Alembic
Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?
@ Robert...may I suggest you lock this thread....there's just something about it that does not ring true.
The last post from the OP poster is.....
Last visited: Thu Jan 18, 2018, 6:43 pm
Anyone with this limited knowledge should not consider running a craft still until they have grasped the basics on stilling.
ALSO.........
I give up...........

The last post from the OP poster is.....
Last visited: Thu Jan 18, 2018, 6:43 pm
Anyone with this limited knowledge should not consider running a craft still until they have grasped the basics on stilling.
ALSO.........
ITMA wrote:Does anybody think there might be some truth in this fire risk rumour?
YES IT'S TRUE...The vapour will go "BOOM" If there a naked flame anywhere near.
I can't help wondering why the manufacturers are SO reluctant to recommend double distilling. And people like the LoveBrewing guy (who reckons he's an expert on distilling) has NEVER even suggested a double distil is possible on the AirStill
I give up...........

I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
-

Icefever - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 2407
- Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
- Location: Kingdom of Mercia
Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?
As an aside ....at £8.62 to the excise man per 750ml bottle of 40% spirit, it’s frankly a wonder how anyone can make it a commercial success
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?
Ice, I agree that this has been an odd thread from the start.
I currently propose to keep it active for a couple of reasons.
The first is educative.
Anyone proposing a rectifying business that cannot afford to buy in neutral spirit and believes that HMRC will grant them a much harder to obtain distilling licence really needs to look at the facts, wake up and smell the coffee.
Another is that any vaguely intelligent person that has ever owned an Air Still and found this site has been given good advice on double distilling.
It is one of the reasons that I persist, to try and keep people safe.
I will add that at least once, most of us will have tried to go as high in % as we could!
I think I hit 85% once before quitting that game.
Robert.
I currently propose to keep it active for a couple of reasons.
The first is educative.
Anyone proposing a rectifying business that cannot afford to buy in neutral spirit and believes that HMRC will grant them a much harder to obtain distilling licence really needs to look at the facts, wake up and smell the coffee.
Another is that any vaguely intelligent person that has ever owned an Air Still and found this site has been given good advice on double distilling.
It is one of the reasons that I persist, to try and keep people safe.
I will add that at least once, most of us will have tried to go as high in % as we could!
I think I hit 85% once before quitting that game.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?
Icefever wrote:
I can't help wondering why the manufacturers are SO reluctant to recommend double distilling. And people like the LoveBrewing guy (who reckons he's an expert on distilling) has NEVER even suggested a double distil is possible on the AirStill
I give up...........
[/quote]I think you misinterpret my probably badly written post. I'm not saying the still is likely to catch fire or anything, I'm musing that maybe the manufacturers are frightened of recomming double distilling etc in cast a newbie muppet forgets to reduce abv before a spirit run. Just a musing, nothing to see here, move on.
-

ITMA - Regular

- Posts: 67
- Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:09 pm
- Location: South Yorkshire
- Stills: Air, T500 + Alembic
Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?
Just wading in to say that Icefever and ITMA may, or may not be perceived to be at loggerheads here.
I say not, and will let this point slide in the thread.
Robert.
I say not, and will let this point slide in the thread.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?
I think the manufacturers don’t advocate double distilling because it makes their product less appealing - *how* much work for a drink?
For the uninitiated taste-bud impaired novices wandering into the local HBS it makes perfect sense.
Follow the instructions and get cheap, foul-tasting booze in short order.
Alternatively, learn how to use an Airstill effectively, and the results can be really quite palatable.
Horses for courses.
Cheers
Hampk
For the uninitiated taste-bud impaired novices wandering into the local HBS it makes perfect sense.
Follow the instructions and get cheap, foul-tasting booze in short order.
Alternatively, learn how to use an Airstill effectively, and the results can be really quite palatable.
Horses for courses.
Cheers
Hampk
-

hampk - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 369
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
- Location: A hill with a view
- Stills: Airstill
Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?
You my have not the mail on the head there.
The truth however interesting is irrelevant to making sales.
The truth however interesting is irrelevant to making sales.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Can I run alcohol through the air still?
hampk wrote:I think the manufacturers don’t advocate double distilling because it makes their product less appealing - *how* much work for a drink?
For the uninitiated taste-bud impaired novices wandering into the local HBS it makes perfect sense.
Follow the instructions and get cheap, foul-tasting booze in short order.
Alternatively, learn how to use an Airstill effectively, and the results can be really quite palatable.
Horses for courses.
Cheers
Hampk
Definitely correct. Imake are a marketing company first and foremost. I don't know why I've been so puzzled about it, for years homebrew kits have come with instructions guaranteed to make a bad product ('ready in 5 days!') it's the same thing here.
-

ITMA - Regular

- Posts: 67
- Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:09 pm
- Location: South Yorkshire
- Stills: Air, T500 + Alembic
25 posts
• Page 2 of 2 • 1, 2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest