Page 1 of 2
Heating

Posted:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:00 pm
by H12rpo
Well afte4 a great start in this hobby......all my washes appear to have stalled. They’re in the garage and I’m guessing it’s the temperature that’s the f@ctor which has them stuck.
So what are people using for heating? I’m thinking of going down the ‘immersion tube’ type of route. Or are the belts ok for 25 litre fermenting tubs ? Are the chines cheap hobbies any good or should I spend the money on some other solution
Re: Heating

Posted:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:12 pm
by ITMA
I can't give any exeprience yet but coincidentally I've just bought an immersion heater after finally cracking the problem of getting an extension lead up to the loft (via a corner cupboard).
http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/immersion-heater/It has a fairly ropey looking temperature control on it; but I think it will do the job. I was recommended to calibrate it first by heating some water and checking against a thermometer.
I was considering using one of those thermostats like here. If you go for a brew belt I would definitely recommend a thermostat.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... YLSA&psc=1I might still get one.
Re: Heating

Posted:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 pm
by jonx69
I've currently got 50L sugar wash sitting at 24c with a brewbelt and a couple of blankets in my garage, using an inkbird,so 25L shouldn't be a problem, I use a heat tray also without problems.
I'd play safe and get a UK youngs or similar belt, I think wilkos do a heat tray also.
Cheers
Re: Heating

Posted:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:18 am
by Mash
+1 That gets my vote. Camp mat rolls make good insulation too.
A big lump of polystyrene on the floor helps too.
Better solution is an old fridge or freezer.
Best is a working freezer, when are fermented out, you can go straight to stripping.
Re: Heating

Posted:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:57 am
by Pyro
I had bother with brews stalling, but now use an adjustable aquarium heater and all my brew bins are on a small table 1 ½ ft of the ground. This is in my den which has some heating, if my set up was in the garage or hut (den 2) I would defiantly have the bins lagged.
Re: Heating

Posted:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:25 am
by ITMA
I think I will get an Inkbird after all. I'm not convinced by the built in thermostat on the immersion heater and it will be much easier to see the wash temperature.
Where do you put the probe?
Re: Heating

Posted:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:36 pm
by Mash
ITMA wrote:I think I will get an Inkbird after all. I'm not convinced by the built in thermostat on the immersion heater and it will be much easier to see the wash temperature.
Where do you put the probe?
IMO they are shite - get the INKBIRD. Either sticky tape it the outside or drop it in. You will find the sweet spot and aim for 25. Airlocks pah!
AND then you just need one of these....
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/tilt-hydrometer.html
Re: Heating

Posted:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:40 pm
by ITMA
I'll be using it for beer brewing as well so I'll carry on using an airlock for now! I'll definitely invest in an inkbird even with the immersion heater. Will drop the probe into the bucket, maybe through a second hole if necessary.
I can't quite get my head around how it would work if taped to the side - the interior and exterior temperatures would be different, no?
Ah the Tilt, yes. I WANT one of those. Right now it's one expense too many but I've got my eye on it!
Re: Heating

Posted:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:17 pm
by Easydrinker
For me, it is aquarium heaters all the way.
I buy in bulk.
I have six on the go and four still in boxes as backup.
You do it or you don't.
I also check the thermostat on each one, and label it, 'cos I don't trust cheap Chinese tecnology quality control.
No offence intended.
I would insulate the brew bins if using a shed, I don't, they are in my living space, the heaters seldom seem to be illuminated,(i.e. needed)
Robert.
Re: Heating

Posted:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:14 am
by Mash
I think the fact you buy in bulk is a clue

.....these are not a fit and forget.
That said they are a good solution if you accept that.
Many many many years ago (How Many manys too many manys) I used them to ferment a few dj's in a water bath.
I even designed a frame supporting 5 for a larger fermenter.
Re: Heating

Posted:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:16 am
by Mash
ITMA wrote:I'll be using it for beer brewing as well so I'll carry on using an airlock for now! I'll definitely invest in an inkbird even with the immersion heater. Will drop the probe into the bucket, maybe through a second hole if necessary.
Why is beer brewing different?
Re: Heating

Posted:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:31 pm
by Easydrinker
Aquarium heaters are as cheap as chips, so no major fuss when one fails or you bust the glass.
I used to do a lot of beer, never used an airlock, just a loose fitting lid.
The amount of CO2 given off is so big and fast that air locks can't really cope or aren't needed.
But I respect you going a different route.
Robert.
Re: Heating

Posted:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:47 pm
by ITMA
Mash wrote:ITMA wrote:Why is beer brewing different?
Mainly because in brewing, "that's what I've always been taught" and it takes a lot to unlearn at my age ;-)
There is still the difference that whilst we're boiling a wash a week after its pitched, my lagers spend a long time in the FV and then another long time in the bottles so there must be more potential for nasties to grow. I do wonder how much of brewing is "cargo culting" (as we call it in programming - useless activities that we do as a ritual because that's what we've always done).
Re: Heating

Posted:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:53 pm
by Easydrinker
Loving the phrase "cargo culting" .
I may now adopt it.
Robert.
Re: Heating

Posted:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 am
by Mash
ITMA wrote:Mash wrote:ITMA wrote:Why is beer brewing different?
Mainly because in brewing, "that's what I've always been taught" and it takes a lot to unlearn at my age ;-)
There is still the difference that whilst we're boiling a wash a week after its pitched, my lagers spend a long time in the FV and then another long time in the bottles so there must be more potential for nasties to grow. I do wonder how much of brewing is "cargo culting" (as we call it in programming - useless activities that we do as a ritual because that's what we've always done).
I think you have a good point with lager. Because you are leaving it for longer. I ONLY use air locks for storage never for fermentation.
My beer is 2+2+2. So nothing stays more that 2 weeks in primary.