Midges
13 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Midges
Just a heads up for anyone visiting Gods chosen land.
Yesterday the little blighters started biting.
You have been warned!
Robert.
Yesterday the little blighters started biting.
You have been warned!
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Midges
Thanks for the warning! I will not be on your side of the pond, but have read they are mean little creatures in deed!
Last edited by just sayin' on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
-

just sayin' - Regular

- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:18 pm
Re: Midges
Ah, well it's a non-issue as we don't get them down here
Plus I'm lucky in the sense that the only times I've visited your neck of the woods, it was anything but spring/summer.......
Dunno if it's any good, but something I was reading the other day said about the active ingredient in the most effective insect repellent. Apparently, the best natural source of it (sorry, the name escapes me ATM) is found in Catnip.
I'd suspect that you could find enough neutral to make a tincture and a good dig around the net should get you enough catnip to try for enough to fill a small hand spray.......... might not work but it's just a thought I figured would be worthy of passing on....
Plus I'm lucky in the sense that the only times I've visited your neck of the woods, it was anything but spring/summer.......
Dunno if it's any good, but something I was reading the other day said about the active ingredient in the most effective insect repellent. Apparently, the best natural source of it (sorry, the name escapes me ATM) is found in Catnip.
I'd suspect that you could find enough neutral to make a tincture and a good dig around the net should get you enough catnip to try for enough to fill a small hand spray.......... might not work but it's just a thought I figured would be worthy of passing on....
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: Midges
Thanks for the thought Phantom, I may give that a try.
I usually rely upon 40-50 % DEET.
Horrible stuff, melts plastic watch straps, or damages other plastics on contact.
But works.
Keeps the little feckers away.
What confounds me is that some folk only object to the painful "bite" of a midge, thereafter suffering no ill effects.
After the initial pain,I experience severe swelling and itching in the affected areas.
My limited knowledge puts this down to my body not being good at producing anti-histamines.
Oh well, not long now before the seasons change, and the cold weather kills them off
Robert.
I usually rely upon 40-50 % DEET.
Horrible stuff, melts plastic watch straps, or damages other plastics on contact.
But works.
Keeps the little feckers away.
What confounds me is that some folk only object to the painful "bite" of a midge, thereafter suffering no ill effects.
After the initial pain,I experience severe swelling and itching in the affected areas.
My limited knowledge puts this down to my body not being good at producing anti-histamines.
Oh well, not long now before the seasons change, and the cold weather kills them off
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
-

packapoo - Master Distiller

- Posts: 690
- Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
- Location: Marton, New Zealand
- Stills: Amphora PDA-1
Re: Midges
Would anti-histamine tablets help? Thinking piriton
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Midges
Avon SkinSoSoft, even used by the Army if you believe the stories. Lots of positive endorsements for it if you search hillwalking forums etc. Active ingredient seems to be citronella, a proven insect repellent.
-

Flump - Newcomer
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:55 pm
Re: Midges
I thought anti-histamine was prescription only in the UK?
Citronella candles seem to offer some protection on the odd night the Scottish weather is condusive to a summer BBQ.
Robert.
Citronella candles seem to offer some protection on the odd night the Scottish weather is condusive to a summer BBQ.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Midges
Nope. You can buy it over the counter. Piriton
Better.. you could get some lemongrass and some citronella essential oil. And add a few drops of each to a base (either a lotion, cream or oil).
You could buy a expensive beauty cream but it won't make a difference.
Better.. you could get some lemongrass and some citronella essential oil. And add a few drops of each to a base (either a lotion, cream or oil).
You could buy a expensive beauty cream but it won't make a difference.

email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Midges
I don't believe that I need expensive beauty cream, but will give the rest of your post sober consideration on the morrow,thanks Mash,
Robert.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Midges
Phantom wrote:Ah, well it's a non-issue as we don't get them down here![]()
Plus I'm lucky in the sense that the only times I've visited your neck of the woods, it was anything but spring/summer.......
Dunno if it's any good, but something I was reading the other day said about the active ingredient in the most effective insect repellent. Apparently, the best natural source of it (sorry, the name escapes me ATM) is found in Catnip.
I'd suspect that you could find enough neutral to make a tincture and a good dig around the net should get you enough catnip to try for enough to fill a small hand spray.......... might not work but it's just a thought I figured would be worthy of passing on....
The downside of this is that you'll probably suddenly become very attractive to both cats and their (generally mad ) cat lady owners !

-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: Midges
If I'm not mistaken, you have just increased the size of the pest LOL
Admittedly, you would stand a better chance of seeing them coming. And generally they don't come in swarms. hehe
I am sure an online boat trip across the bay or up the big River would avail you of a spray to test the theory.
Admittedly, you would stand a better chance of seeing them coming. And generally they don't come in swarms. hehe
I am sure an online boat trip across the bay or up the big River would avail you of a spray to test the theory.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Midges
I think swatting off a cat, or it's mad lady owner may be easier than coping with the "no see 'ums".
Mad, hellish busy this week, might try some suggested solutions next week, when life is a little more relaxed.
Robert.
Mad, hellish busy this week, might try some suggested solutions next week, when life is a little more relaxed.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
13 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
