Page 1 of 3
To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:04 pm
by Easydrinker
Hello and my apologies.
It has only just come to my attention that it is not currently possible to join this site due to a glitch on the security question at the end of the registration form.
I was wondering where you all were!
I cannot fix this, it is a problem caused by a third party security program, to which I have no access.
I have informed the site owner and sometime soon he will pop by, with two Magnums a'blazing.
How long can you hold your breath?
Is this gene pool closed?
In the meanwhile you will have to make do with reading the stuff that others have posted, TBH, an awful lot of that is worth reading.
Here's looking forward to normal service being resumed.
Robert.
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:20 pm
by Mickrick
This happened to me. I sent email to site admin informing them. However, even though there was a glitch it did register me...............
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:49 am
by Mash
Its seems to be properly kerfukKertated now. I have spent some time 'messing' - no go.
If you see 'ItsJonny' username it has worked! but I don't think so.
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:03 pm
by Icefever
This is about the third time there's been a problem but they used to get fixed in a day or so.
As email,text,pm,snail mail has had no effect from Jimmy I'm thinking the worst, it's seems to me that for what ever the reasons Jimmy is not or has not been around for some time.
There is a backup site for those interested in keeping it all together. There's been a suggestion that an email list of those members that want to, they add their email and we'll migrate over to the backup site??
It's all down to you guys now.
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:46 pm
by Maker
I'd hope Jimmy still has some interest, seems the easy/smart move would be to pop the keys in Easydrinkers shirt pocket, give him a couple of slaps on his bottom and tell him to 'Take the reins son'.
Peoples interests change and time passes.
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:24 am
by Easydrinker
@ Maker, LOL, bigtime.
@ Icefever, should you wish to post a link to this other site, I will leave it untouched.
I merely suggest that you take note of the number of "guests" that visit this site daily, despite it's current necrosis.
As Gandalf said, "keep it safe and keep it secret!"
"Guests" don't tend to visit sites that they don't know exist.
Maybe you could review members of this site and invite a few more?
That doesn't help newbies or the rozzers.
Life is shit sometimes.
Please put the thoughts of Mrs. Icefever into your action, Just sayin'
Robert.
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:04 am
by Pyro
I dont know much about the service provider side of the net. If contacted the service provider might be able to sort things out, or at least contact Jimmy as they will have access to his email address.
Pat
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:20 am
by Mash
This is the issue.
This is not an admin "task". It requires a component to be upgraded.
The "register as a user " is temporarily stuck because the bit that validates if you are a person not a robot. This is out of date and needs replacing with a newer version.
So the site as we know it (for members) is operating normally. We just can't get accept new members.
I am sure there are a few of us that would help if Jimmy needs it. He can certainly contact me.
In the meantime we could setup a list of email addresses if people want to be contacted if it all goes dark.
DO NOT POST 'EM HERE. Let's discuss it first and do it in a controlled and secure manner.
@Robert, do you have any "email newsletter" tools in the admin section?
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:52 am
by Icefever
What if someone setup a page ie..Facebook....from here ...post the link on here....which we log on to. I think it can be closed to everyone other than the guys on here...you must use the link.
That way all it is, is a FB page if it goes tits up those that want to can follow on via that page tp which ever site.
I think it would be safe, a lot safer than an open site.
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:02 am
by Icefever
Easydrinker wrote:@ Icefever,
As Gandalf said, "keep it safe and keep it secret!"
"Guests" don't tend to visit sites that they don't know exist.
Maybe you could review members of this site and invite a few more?
That doesn't help newbies or the rozzers.
Life is shit sometimes.
Please put the thoughts of Mrs. Icefever into your action, Just sayin'
Robert.
Cheers mate,
it is difficult to choose which way to go, I don't want any site to die as we have little enough UK sites for this hobby of ours. May I ask you guys out there for some input, do you want a site that is there for us? I know I tend to use it on more of a social site, answer Q's when I think my bit is needed.....so it's all down to the members who use the site regularly, shout out what you want...ideas? Any thing?
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:03 pm
by Easydrinker
@ Mash, and any others.
The only real admin tool available to Mods here is the ability to ban members and delete or move posts.
If I could I would do more.
Pat, I know Jimmy's home address, and have tried all methods of contact, to no avail.
Robert.
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:00 am
by Mash
I think he's on holiday.
Let's not panic.
FB. Really... Can't bring myself to type the full name let alone log in.
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:20 am
by Pyro
Thanks Robert, you seem to have covered all the points that I was going to ask.
Is it worth trying a snail mail contact or if you know someone who lives in the same area, ask them to give him a knock.
Failing every thing we can then look at last resort options.
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:43 am
by Mash
Just to be clear.
The site is not down. There is no issues for registered users.
The website name (and probably the hosting too) is secure for the next 2 years.
Robert is not getting a holiday anytime soon
There is an issue for new users. A component needs updating
AS A WORKAROUND.I have setup
still_smart@yahoo.com If you are a new user, drop a line and we will contact you when the problem is fixed.
ED. happy to share the password.
Re: To all prospective new members.....

Posted:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:07 am
by Toper
I have no insights into whatever updates might be required, but would be loath to see the collapse of a site which, for me, has been a source of help and encouragement, as well as amusement, for a number of years.