Non flavour stripping filtering

Filtering spirits after distillation
BlindXX
Valued Member

Non flavour stripping filtering

Post by BlindXX »

Just after some advice in filtering fine sediment from Gin. I have a load of particles at the bottom, despite using a coffee filter. I could re-run through the paper filters but was wondering if there was another way without altering the flavour in any way (cotton wool type material perhaps?). It must be using food grade, commercially acceptable stuff though. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Thanks to this forum, I found my passion. Now I'm licenced too.
www.oneeyedharry.co.uk
Mash
Admin/Donated to SS

Re: Non flavour stripping filtering

Post by Mash »

Two answers.

Best: Use a sputnik - the difference is stunning

For filtering: I use the cheap Chinese stainless coffee And a new clean wet flannel. The flannel. Adecco have a pre-filter.
The stainless steel coffee funnel is something very, very similar to what's in the link below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BCAE-B415-St ... Sw9J9cuFB5
To Gin-finity and beyond !
Mash
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

Here's the latest thread for a sputnik

forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=123&start=20
BlindXX
Valued Member

Post by BlindXX »

Thanks guys, I already use a sputnik - this is home distilled, not macerated gin that seems to get some sediment drawn through the still. I'm pretty sure it wasn't already in the bottle. It's a really fine, grey/white sediment. I did rinse the bottles but maybe put the next ones throug the dishwasher immediately before to be safe!
www.oneeyedharry.co.uk
billythekid
Valued Member

Post by billythekid »

I'm wondering if it's minerals that are already in the water you start with?

It doesn't help your immediate issue, but, on your next ferment, perhaps try starting with distilled water.

Bill
Mash
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

It probably is water based precipitation and the coffee filter will get it.
gaza the instructor
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Post by gaza the instructor »

Sometimes I get this after a few days, as Mash said just refilter.
We all have our own ways of filtering. I use makeup cotton wool
pads soaked in water and in the spout of the funnel.
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.
Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

I am sure that all that do this, get stubborn ones that don't fliter it all out.
These days, I let the bottle or DJ settle, rack off, leaving the sediment behind, and have a dirty drink or two myself, before sharing the remainder with the nobles of my acquaintance.
They never know that I had a problem.
It is only aesthetics, at the end of the day.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D
Mash
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

And of course all your leftovers can be collected. Like these bits above. And anything you don't like. And stuff with bits in...... And rerun it.
BlindXX
Valued Member

Post by BlindXX »

Thanks, a lot of sense spoken here. Hadn't even considered water precipitation, could well be our lovely, incredibly hard London water! I'll double filter a few days after mixing, see if that is indeed the cause.
www.oneeyedharry.co.uk
gaza the instructor

Yes I think our hard London water does not help.
As a benefit though we do not have Ph issues as a result.
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.
Mash
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

BlindXX wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:45 am Thanks, a lot of sense spoken here. Hadn't even considered water precipitation, could well be our lovely, incredibly hard London water! I'll double filter a few days after mixing, see if that is indeed the cause.
I think you are bang on the money. Furry kettles make brilliant beer & easy ferments. But yes indeed The mineral content does precipitate out.
You could use your still to distill some water [Tedious].
You could boil some water and leave it to cool naturally that reduces the chlorine and the temporary hardness.
Better still, and probably the easiest is to cut spring water or RO water.
Mash
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

gaza the instructor wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:34 pm Yes I think our hard London water does not help.
As a benefit though we do not have Ph issues as a result.
I think it's a small price to pay - he says, looking at kale wash bubbling away merrily, That's never seen a bath bomb in its life !!!
StillBrewing

Post by StillBrewing »

As others have mentioned, try a plug of cotton wool in the neck of a funnel. I do this as a matter of course for all my flavoured drinks using fresh fruit and the difference once its been put through is amazing. Just remember to run a little water through the cotton wool first to 'charge' it which removes any loose fibres.

Also worth picking up a cheap secondhand wine filter from somewhere like ebay. I sometimes use mine for stubborn drinks that have very fine particles. Its the Harris Vinbrite one and works very, very well.
Mash
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

Harris Vinbrite - Are they still about? I had one of those, about 1 million years ago when I first started making wine in my teens.
phantom
Moderator/Donated to SS

Post by phantom »

Filters of that type, don't remove flavours. That's activated carbon type filtration that does that.

whether it's frame and plate, pads or cartridge and housing type, those remove particulate matter (for spirits, it generally has to be very fine grade media IRO 0.45 micron or less). The issue is generally cost of filter media type i.e. pads can be cheap, but I'm not familiar with any "stand alone" filter system like that, other than the one that built into devices like a mini-jet (pump and filter plates that take their pads) - downside is cost, the device is about the £150 area. Equally, I also have an enolmatic and filter housing for cartridges, so I can rig the enolmatic so that it's just providing the vacuum and an approriate size of cartridge media (0.45 for spirits and "sterile" filtration of wines/meads etc) but again, cost can be an issue - Enolmatic and housing with one cartridge (1 micron) is IRO £300-£400. Plate and frame systems can be configured for up to about 20 different grades of media, but not only cost of hardware, but also the media because it's basically a small to medium sized commercial set up. You need to have some way of passing the liquid through them, so a pump of some sort, then it depends on what you're filtering as to what sizes of media are required etc. All lots of £'s so not really for home use as it needs to be many hundreds of gallons to be cost effective.

Hard water isn't exclusive to London (most of the damn place is built on clay). So it's variations on a theme for a very large area of the south. A bit of research will show you that hard water seems to give a harsh flavour note (plus i understand that this is why most/all breweries in hard water areas soften their water before starting the mash process).

Personally, I use RO water and prefer to add all the relevant minerals via nutrient addition to a ferment. Any harsh note that may come about from incorrect nutrient additions are sorted with activated carbon filtration of my neutrals.......

Equally, I'd have thought that making gin by masceration would need filtering as that could pick up some colouration from the aromatics used. Haven't tried a sputnik yet, and don't have the money or facility to use a gin basket........
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away." Tom Waites
Mash
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

Woop woop opinion collision. I think all filtering removes some flavour. The finer particulate matter often carries flavour. That's the reason I try not to filter anything.
gaza the instructor

Filtering my Bitter Orange Gin certainly robs it of a small
amount of flavour, but better than pulling bits out your
teeth every two seconds.!
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.
phantom
Moderator/Donated to SS

Post by phantom »

Mash wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:31 pm Woop woop opinion collision. I think all filtering removes some flavour. The finer particulate matter often carries flavour. That's the reason I try not to filter anything.
Well all I know is that I've never noticed any flavour loss and it's a view corroborated by some of the more prominent names in the mead world (both serious amateur/home producers of repute and some of the more well known commercial producers).

Yes, if people are patient enough, it's definitely cheaper to let time and gravity do it's thing, but the only way it would reduce flavour is that if the flavour molecules were large enough to get caught in the filter media - they're not. The flavour carrying elements are generally at the molecular level so something that filters down to that level is never going to be available to a home market on price alone.

Hell, even those adverts we see on FB once the algorithm picks up on the key words, one I've seen many times is for a nice looking, small Alfa-Laval centrifuge. Was down there the other day and mentioned to the bloke about getting a rough idea as to whether it was gonna be a feasible price, it's not. well into 4 figures, so would be for commercial budgets (unless I dropped some lottery money of course) only.........
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away." Tom Waites
Mash
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

You have made the assumption that larger particles (That was nearly lager particles lol) carry no flavour? is that okay?

I have done testing with carbon and with plate filters is certainly a flavour different.

PS I flipped the switch and the red lights and klaxons have quelled :D
BlindXX
Valued Member

Post by BlindXX »

I had a thought - perhaps I could use distilled water. Now, if only I had a way of distilling my own water at home...
www.oneeyedharry.co.uk
Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

I hear that you can buy, or even build, equipment for distilling water....

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D
Mash
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

Water distilling equipment, whatever next!