Why 50% is max to filter?

Filtering spirits after distillation
Leatherman
Valued Member

Why 50% is max to filter?

Post by Leatherman »

Hi everyone,

Hope all you are okey :)

So my question is straight forward. All over internet I find that you shouldnt filter stronger than 50abv alcohol. Otherwise filtering will not work. Can someone explain me why and maybe give any link to reference proving it. Went through book which can be downloaded from here. Didnt find nothing. Need reference because got my self involved into arguing about it :)
EchoSevenNine
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Re: Why 50% is max to filter?

Post by EchoSevenNine »

I think its something to do with viscosity. )EDIT - Solubility as per next post)

The higher the ABV the easier particulates can be broken down into smaller pieces and the carbon wont catch them.

I THINK!
Last edited by EchoSevenNine on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Something... something inspiring and Signature related.
myles
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Post by myles »

The best reason I can think of is solubility.

Generally you are using carbon as a way to separate fusel oils and some of the higher alcohols from the ethanol. Some of the impurities penetrate into the pores in the carbon, and some stick to the surface of the carbon.

Most of the impurities are soluble in ethanol. The higher the ABV the more soluble they are. Filter a really high ABV product and the carbon filter will not work at all. The ethanol just washes them off the carbon.

2nd reason is flammable vapour. Most folks do not filter in a sealed environment. The alcohol takes time to run through the filter and during this time some of it will evaporate into the air in the vicinity of the filter. If you are not careful, with high ABV spirit, this can result in a dangerous condition in the room.
Icefever
Valued Member

Post by Icefever »

The "Book" you downloaded was it the one by Gert Strand??

Ice.
It's better to try and fail than fail to try