T500 in pot still mode

Info specific to the T500
Muddy
Valued Member

T500 in pot still mode

Post by Muddy »

This is close to but different from similar posts in the forum.

I want to get into Gin making using botanicals and a double distilled method. My preferred method is to produce neutral, macerate the botanicals, strain and then redistill. To do this and retain all flavour from the flavoured neutral, I am considering running the T500 with saddles removed as a pot still. (cooling water into the still and out at the top and not going through the reflux condenser). There are plenty of posts advising not to do stripping runs as a pot still due to high temps and the plastic top etc but not much on anyone using this method as a normal pot still spirit run which I assume would involve much lower temps than a stripping run. Has anyone any advice as to if I can do this and what results I should expect? I'm not concerned about power consumption as we have plenty of solar and a battery. I also have too much time on my hands!! 8-)

Does anyone prefer using botanicals in the vapour path and running it as a reflux and if so how much flavour is lost?
Consciousness: That annoying time between runs.

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Re: T500 in pot still mode

Post by Easydrinker »

Your preferred method is tops in my book
If you intend many flavoured spirits, maybe get yourself a second lid and column for the still?
While tipping your saddles out regularly may ensure that they are clean, it will be a chore.
Running in Pot still mode should involve lower temps. than reflux mode?

Robert
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Icefever
Valued Member

Post by Icefever »

Make a pothead column if you're ok with DIY??

https://stillsmarter.co.uk/download/fil ... eafcee26b5

Ice

Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

What he said +

You are knocking on the door of a perfect setup..
Stripping: T500 with Vino's pot head (link above) is very good.

Spirit run: T500 with column.

Gin/flavour runs: Water distiller with a power controller (or an alcohol Air Still) for small batches (1 or 2 bottles) runs. https://stillsmarter.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... 1a42528ed3
To Gin-finity and beyond !

phantom
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Post by phantom »

Concur with Ice and Mash. If you want "flavoured" stuff, then use a pot head, which is known to work etc. Just leaving saddles out of a reflux column doesn't mean it will do that.

Building a pot head isn't hard (I'd guess the most difficult part is the connection to the lid - because just sweating copper together with "plumbers lead-free" is very easy - it must be for me to be able to do it :lol: )

Dunno where you are but BSS can do copper tubing from 6mm to 247mm last time I asked........

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

I was never here, you ain't seen me, keep schtum.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D