Moss
Admin & IT Bod

Carbon Filtering

Post by Moss »

Here is Gert Strand's activated Charcoal eBook
Gert Strands Activated Charcoal Book..pdf
(645.39 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

Thanks to @Easydrinker & @Myles

Please take note of the copyright instructions at the beginning of the book.

Moss
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

If it’s broken, it might be my fault, is my responsibility and there is even a slight chance I can fix it 😳

phantom
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Re: Carbon Filtering

Post by phantom »

There's also some video over at YouTube - think it's Richard from love Brewing that show the basics of how it's done.

There's a few bits in it that are more dubious i.e. sales schpiel, cos he alludes to using each carbon charge only once and says that once used to bin it. This is despite the guidance from the Gert Strand e-book and personal experience (at least mine, though I'd guess others too).

But it's handy to watch to get your head round this a little........

Mash

Post by Mash »

I have learnt to treat anything from love brewing with a pitch of salt.
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Elecrafter

Post by Elecrafter »

Hmm.. maybe not related to this carbon filter, but I use the little SS one, and stagger my product twice through the 1 litre carbon blocks.
I put a litre through one block, then flow it through another new one for its second filtration. Then I put some new product through that same carbon block. Change the filter, and go again again. So I end up with the first use of a carbon block filtering some product that has already been filtered. This gives me a more efficient use of the blocks. so putting some prefiltered product thru a new filter, then the next batch of unfiltered product after that.
Not sure this makes sense to you, but basically get two lots of filtering through each block, with new product going through last.

Ele.

Mash

Post by Mash »

Are you using the ez inline filter? The blocks look like a large tube of polo's?

You can bake the blocks in the oven, 100c to clean them. Then wrap in foil until next use.

phantom

Post by phantom »

Mash wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:22 am
Are you using the ez inline filter? The blocks look like a large tube of polo's?

You can bake the blocks in the oven, 100c to clean them. Then wrap in foil until next use.
See, it's pretty straight forward cleaning up the carbon for my Z filter so it's good to see that someone has worked out how to clean up the "carbon polo's".........

And Richards stuff is fine, just remember he's there to sell stuff. Hence watch/read/whatever and then have a bit of a dig around for confirmation one way or another..........

It's why places like this are so good and helpful/useful etc. Social media i.e. FB or whatever is all well and good, but it's also a bit public, the info can be very "disjointed" - whereas forums with it's "question asked, then answered" format is superior IMO........

Mash

Post by Mash »

I get that Richard is selling stuff, and I understand that. What I cannot forgive is when he starts making it up. Perhaps he missed his calling as a fiction novelist!