Klarstein Mundschenk XXL Pump Mod

Built or modified a still? Designed a great gadget? Tell us here!
Windoe
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Klarstein Mundschenk XXL Pump Mod

Post by Windoe »

I got up early today to brew up a lager for my son. He likes Stella, poor soul. I bought a Klarstein when they were on offer a year or so ago after ED had bigged them up! I got a 50ltr version as I didn't want the hassle of boil overs when I do a big beer. It has the disadvantage of being quite tall and even taller when the malt tube is lifted for sparging. So when brewing if I want to run the wort into the fermenter the Klarstein sits too high for me to sparge easily. I am not a fan of lifting my boiler above head height to get gravity to run the sparge water, I use an old shower head to distribute the water over the grain when sparging.

I had seen a mod elsewhere which replumbed the pump to gain access and use it for moving liquids in and out as needed. So after brewing and clean up I decided to bite the bullet and mod it. For anyone thinking of doing something similar, there are mods that put the pump outside the casing. All you need to do is reverse the mounting bracket, I did not want to do this as the pump is not then protected from damage.

A WORD OF WARNING when using one of these Klarstein's! These units are built down to a price and so don't have all of the fancy bits you might expect, like a discharge resistor for the power supply input capacitor. The manufacturer expects the consumer to discharge the capacitor by gripping any two of the three pins on the plug approximately 10 minutes after unplugging the device and swearing loudly to indicate the discharge is complete.

Unscrewing the bottom of the unit after completing the above procedure the pump is revealed.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_12dd.jpg
I have detached the short inlet pipe here.

I previously bought some fittings to match the style of camlock already on the Klarstein and a few screw in pipe nipples. The space around the pump is tight so careful planning is required to ensure that the pipes don't get kinked. (I wish I had done that!) Two 21mm holes need cutting in the casing, guess who has a 20mm step drill! Then the threads on the nipples were bound with plenty of PTFE tape before pipe wrenches and all manner of spanners were employed to tighten things up. I used a washer on the inside of each hole to stiffen things up trapping them between the fittings. The result is this.
O+wO121TTGy5z3yJ7HgGFg_thumb_12de.jpg
An additional silicon tube elbow is needed, fortunately supplied as a spare in the kit with two tie wraps.
After closing it back up, I filled it to check for leaks. I was dubious of the 'Colin Chapman' engineering technique of using the screw joint doing 'double duty' as a bulkhead fitting, but space is tight. You will know what I mean if you had a Lotus.
The sharp eyed among you will see I missed fitting the camlock on the ball valve. I discovered and fixed that when I did the test run.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_12df.jpg
The ball valve is on the outlet from the bottom of the boiler, the other fitting is the pump inlet.
It was working ok. Got to remember not to run the pump dry! So now I can circulate the wort (no change there then), by 'plugging' into the pump inlet I can pump sparge water and my sparge head can be connected at the top. After brewing I can pump the wort to my fermentation bucket. The next mod is to fit a 90 degree bend to the old outlet to allow it to whirlpool by pumping back thru it.
My previous mod/gadget for this Klarstein was to take the bottom out of a dog bowl.
RoOP0LJVRju9bq%6ZyzQZA_thumb_12e0.jpg
I drop this in at the end of the boil before whirlpooling and chilling, the immersion chiller centres it. It traps the cone of trub nicely so that a lot less is transferred with the wort and reduces the chance of the pump clogging.

The wort is chilled using an immersion chiller fed from a water butt with 100ltrs of water circulated thru my 'wombled' radiator.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_12d6.jpg
It took about 30 mins to get down to 23 degrees today. Finished off in my brew fridge, yeast pitched at 18 degrees. (Mangrove Jacks West Coast Lager)
Hopefully the next brew day will be that bit easier.

Jonx69
Valued Member

Re: Klarstein Mundschenk XXL Pump Mod

Post by Jonx69 »

Thanks for the info,Just ordered one of these, I may come back to this post once the warranty expires

Mash

Post by Mash »

Good write up. I like pumped wort. Did a similar mod myself.
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Windoe

Post by Windoe »

Mash wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:15 pm
Good write up. I like pumped wort. Did a similar mod myself.
Thanks Mash, I realised after posting that a lot of these boilers are clones of each other and this will apply to some of them as well.

Mash

Post by Mash »

You can also use it for cleaning up.

gaza the instructor

Post by gaza the instructor »

I am buying my beer from Costco ATM very sadly. Got let down on a couple of kits
and looked over their beers 24 440ml tins Red Stripe 5% andvery nice £20.38 so
84p per tin????? Leaves me to concetrate on the real deal. :lol: :lol:
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

Hats off to Windoe on a detailed write up.
TBH, I am not seeing the need for modding, but then I am a Luddite that never even uses the programming steps available to me with my Klarstein.
Different strokes, and I won't knock that.
My stout yesterday took a record amount of time, due to a 4 hour power cut....
I now make very good beers, in a few styles, if I say so myself, a select few friends seem to agree.
Always happy to see someone 'expanding the envelope' , even If I choose not to follow. :)

Robert
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Mash

Post by Mash »

gaza the instructor wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:17 pm
I am buying my beer from Costco ATM very sadly. Got let down on a couple of kits
and looked over their beers 24 440ml tins Red Stripe 5% andvery nice £20.38 so
84p per tin????? Leaves me to concetrate on the real deal. :lol: :lol:
Sorry mate for twenty smackers I could have 100-120 pints of glorious ale that would make red stripe taste like the stuff being whizzed down the Riverside by bunch of piss heads 🤣

Come on you could make fantastic ale!

gaza the instructor

Post by gaza the instructor »

I know Mash, but I am not supposed to be drinking ATM.
So it does for the time being.
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

My most expensive home brewed beer costs 25p/pint,
3.5 units/bottle.
I stand at the top of a slippery slope. :lol:

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D