Blue Corn

The place to discuss Mashing
billythekid
Valued Member

Re: Blue Corn

Post by billythekid »

Beginning last year, I had read in a couple of places that blue corn produces a superior flavor. I've been researching, experimenting, making up recipes to get a Blue Corn spirit.

Somewhere along the line I had the idea that a blue color in the final product would be unique and fun. Thanks to all of you for helping with my questions early on, and I finally decided to order the dried blue Butterfly Pea Flower to use in the final spirit for the color.

It took far longer to arrive than it should have, but slow international shipping during a pandemic is to be expected, and it arrived yesterday. I plucked a blossom out of the package and dropped it into a half pint of experimental Blue Corn likker, waited a couple of hours and took a photo.

I think the color was fabulous and fit exactly with what I had imagined. To further experiment with the color, I vacuum sealed it and left it overnight. The color is a bit darker as of this morning. So I think using one blossom to a full pint will do just fine.

Next up will be more experiments with Blue Corn recipes and techniques to find what I think is the best flavor spirit. Family Christmas presents are gonna be extra fun this year!

Bill

Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

Gotcha. That delicate blue colour is very nice. Did it any anything to the flavour?

Hmm..
I wonder if you grow blue corn in this country?
To Gin-finity and beyond !

billythekid
Valued Member

Post by billythekid »

Mash wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:35 pm
Gotcha. That delicate blue colour is very nice. Did it any anything to the flavour?

Hmm..
I wonder if you grow blue corn in this country?
Thank you! I did find that it added a faint hint of herbal tea flavor that I felt was actually an improvement, creating a bit more complexity to this new-make spirit.

As for growing Blue Corn, it's mostly grown in arid places in countries that are south of the U.S. However, there are a small number of growers in the state of New Mexico. Otherwise, I don't know if it's grown outside of the Americas.

Bill

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

Mash wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:04 am
I think there is more to it than that. A blue mash, isn't going to make blue drink.
I thought this was discussed earlier in the thread...?

Glad it now seems to be sorted. :)
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D