Garden?

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Re: Garden?

Post by Easydrinker »

Mash wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:44 am
Is carrot fly that little white f***er that you also get on bassicas? I have a good kale crop but it does suffer fly.

Tried rubble netting tunnels... Great.

But a rubble net fruit cage breeds LWFF like crazy.

Marigolds seem to be the answer..
I have heard that Marigolds work.
Those 'orrible LWF's you refer to seem to be brassica specific, I have suffered them also in the past, they and their white detritus seem to adhere to leaves like glue.

Carrot fly are the cheekie chappies that you never seem to see as a fly, just as a wriggly thing eating the heart out of your carrots, before they fly off and start their life cycle over again.
An old organic deterent was proper old creosote, on a rag or two near the carrots.
Not the stuff available from B&Q, which I believe was introduced to stop creatures like bats being killed.
Real Creosote can be broken down by soil organisms, and so is considered by right thinking people to be organic.
Not widely available to anyone without a CPH number, but available online and at your local farm supplier.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

Yup thems the one. 'orrible LWF's.

Marigolds work(ish) because the scent is repugnant.

I wonder if a creosote rag, would help. Thanks

I have heard peeps wash down a poly with dilute creosote.
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

Our poly is anchored between timbers, which spans the hoops, and battens; not trenched.
I slap creosote on the base timbers every couple of years, currently around 20 years of service.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.

jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Easydrinker wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:59 pm
Mash wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:44 am
Is carrot fly that little white f***er that you also get on bassicas? I have a good kale crop but it does suffer fly.

Tried rubble netting tunnels... Great.

But a rubble net fruit cage breeds LWFF like crazy.

Marigolds seem to be the answer..
I have heard that Marigolds work.
Those 'orrible LWF's you refer to seem to be brassica specific, I have suffered them also in the past, they and their white detritus seem to adhere to leaves like glue.

Carrot fly are the cheekie chappies that you never seem to see as a fly, just as a wriggly thing eating the heart out of your carrots, before they fly off and start their life cycle over again.
An old organic deterent was proper old creosote, on a rag or two near the carrots.
Not the stuff available from B&Q, which I believe was introduced to stop creatures like bats being killed.
Real Creosote can be broken down by soil organisms, and so is considered by right thinking people to be organic.
Not widely available to anyone without a CPH number, but available online and at your local farm supplier.

Robert.
Try companion planting carrots with onions (or anything from allium family) the onions/leeks etc deter the carrot fly and the carrots deter the onion fly and leek moth, also they are most vulnerable when your thinning them out as they are drawn to the root of the plant so your creosote rags might be handy to keep them away as you are thinning them - jack
am pickled tink to yeet mou.....

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

That is food for thought Jacks.
I grow my garlic in buckets, which can moved at whim, but may try alternate beds of leek and carrot.

Robert
There is no ONE way.

Mash

Post by Mash »

Is creosote an element of jeyes fluid?

It has been suggested to me as a poly steriliser. Diluted it smells very similar.

myles

Post by myles »

Mash wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:44 am
Is creosote an element of jeyes fluid?

It has been suggested to me as a poly steriliser. Diluted it smells very similar.
Not sure, possibly a creosote derivative. Active ingredient is 4-chloro-m-creosol.
Description and MSDS can be found here https://www.amenity.co.uk/disinfectants ... ctant.html
It is useful stuff though.

phantom

Post by phantom »

Just for info, "proper" creosote (as in the original formula, which was obtained partly from refining waste) is very hard to find, as it's use (commercially) is now a licensed activity. If you live in the Boston area, it used to be the case that you could smell it before you could see it, as there was an industrial plant on the outer edge of town that did railway sleepers and telegraph poles - but the troops who work(ed ?) there would have had to put up with a regime of 6 weekly piss/blood testing because that "proper" creosote contains cadmium, arsenic, and a few other toxic heavy metals.

The stuff from B&Q (other DIY and homeware brands are available :lol: ) is the "fake" stuff to the modern formulation i.e. less environmentally damaging. And no, IMO it's not as good as the proper stuff - I just use cheap and cheerful from the local hardware store but mix it 50/50 with old engine oil (seems to help make the coating last longer and the oil part seems to help with the wood preservation - possibly wrong conclusion but I haven't had to re"paint" my shed for 10 years, so it looks like I know what I'll be up to this summer...........
Last edited by phantom on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

phantom

Post by phantom »

Oh, and if you have pets/animals, even Jeyes fluid can be iffy, because some pets (cats certainly) are sensitive to the tiny amount of PCB's that it contains...........

Mash

Post by Mash »

phantom wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:44 am

The stuff from B&Q (other DIY and homeware brands are available :lol: ) is the "fake" stuff to the modern formulation i.e. less environmentally damaging. And no, IMO it's not as good as the proper stuff -
Lets cut to the chase "its proper shite!" I had it wash off a gate, in the rain just like it had never been there!

phantom

Post by phantom »

Mash wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:13 pm
Lets cut to the chase "its proper shite!" I had it wash off a gate, in the rain just like it had never been there!
Which is why I'm happy mixing the modern stuff with a little parafin and old engine oil.

Seems to work fine - been at least 10 years since I had to re-do my shed. So likely needs doing soon.........

Mash

Post by Mash »

Don't ave a fag in your shed lol.

I have a deal with the guy at the tip. They have to separate old creosote out..... Into a 25l jerry can.

The rest as they say is....Well.. Tea money :D

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

As I said above, you might be surprised what someone with a CPH number can buy online.
Last time, they didn't even ask.
All I ask is that you use it as responsibly as you would if you possessed the official ticket.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.

myles

Post by myles »

The new garden is developing nicely.
The two acre field has been ploughed, levelled, and re-seeded with grass, clover and wild flowers.
The bar table and corner posts are in - ready for me to fit a shade sail once the concrete has set.
bar1.png
bar2.png
The stone table top is over a tonne, and I have tested it for stability. Any dainty, celtic lasses, that wish to come and perch on it will be safe. Relatively!!!! ;)

Beans, potatoes, lettuce etc are doing fine. Should get the greenhouse next month - so next year should be a better season.
veg1.png

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

When you can sit at your table, and drink and eat your own produce, you will have deserved the smirk that then sits on your face! :)

Robert.
There is no ONE way.

Mash

Post by Mash »

Very nice. There is even conduit for the usb charger :lol:

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

Doh!
I thought it was a snake licking a mushroom! :lol:

Robert.
There is no ONE way.

Mash

Post by Mash »

Properly lol

Jennysgin
Moderator/Donated to SS

Post by Jennysgin »

That's looking good Myles :+1:

myles

Post by myles »

I had brought in 140 tons of graded topsoil. That has all been spread and levelled ready for turf.

The meadow was looking good, but now has lambs on it to eat off the new crop of grass. It still has some annual wildflowers but the cornflowers and poppies were munched off quite early. Next year should see the first flowering of the perennial wildflowers.
10 espaliered Howgate Wonder cooking apples are planted with about 250 catmint plants that we grew on from small plugs. The bees and butterflies have loved those.

Should be having a delivery of 600 rolls of turf in a few days. That will be a busy time. :roll: It looks like a garden now though. :)

Mash

Post by Mash »

You are working hard on that, can't wait to see the end result. Next year it should be glorious.

myles

Post by myles »

Meadow year 1. Just grass, clover and annual wildflowers this year. Most of the flowers are gone now, and next year should see the perennial flowers starting.
Meadow yr1.png
Veg garden all levelled and ready for turf.
Veg Garden.png
We are putting in a second hedge (wind break) and keeping a nice big patch of grass for ball games, croquet etc.
Veg garden1.png
We have made two gardens with the fences for supporting the apple espaliers. I have put in 10 of Howgate Wonder.
Howgate Wonder.png
A spring garden with flowering cherries. There are 5000 bulbs on order to put in at some point.
Garden room2.png
We will put in more plants once the turf has rooted.

myles

Post by myles »

The other garden room has a Rhododendron border planted.
Garden room1.png
We also put in some substantial compost bins and storage for leaves to make leaf mold for the garden.
Compost.png
All the timber in the garden is fresh cut green Larch. Should be good for 30 years or so. :lol:

Mash

Post by Mash »

You have put some work into that. When's the party?

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

Your problem myles is that you don't think big enough! :lol:
Serious respect for your work.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.