Rice Wine : More like Wallpaper Glue!

Discuss fermentation, different types of wash, etc
Elecrafter
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Rice Wine : More like Wallpaper Glue!

Post by Elecrafter »

Well... I watched Jesses Rice brew video again just to refresh my memory and made a start.
I thought a 10 litre batch would be a good size for an initial test. So I divided down his quantities, and started.

Milled the rice in my Food Mixer grinder attachment, and that went well. I did it as a coarse gritty sort of flour, more gritty than fine flour consistency.

Heated the water, and added it to the rice, and in minutes I had a 10L bucket of thick glue!
So a change of plan was in order. I kept adding water until I ended up with a thin soup consistency.
Cooled it down and then pitched the yeast.
I gave it a serious stir. But I think I need a drill powered paddle for the future.

Oh it was some Jasmine Rice that I bought before lockdown last year. Its lovely rice to eat. But soon turned to glue, so hopefully it means a high Carbohydrate value.

Its now resting, and I will keep you all informed as to how well this goes.
So far not that well!

Ele.

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Re: Rice Wine : More like Wallpaper Glue!

Post by Easydrinker »

If it doesn't make you sweat, it ain't worth the effort, as my Grandpappy used to say.
Along with,"Looking at the furrows, you can't tell how many horses pulled the plow"!

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Mash
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

This sounds like it needs enzymes next time?
To Gin-finity and beyond !

wormwood
Valued Member

Post by wormwood »

It's always alarmingly thick at first, but should thin out after a few hours as the enzymes do their thing.

Elecrafter

Post by Elecrafter »

Today, it has started to bubble in the airlock, but very very slowly. So something is happening.
As said will keep you posted.
Ele.

wormwood
Valued Member

Post by wormwood »

How much rice and how much starter did you use? My ferments with this stuff have all pretty vigorous within a few hours.

Elecrafter

Post by Elecrafter »

1.6kg of Jasmine Rice. Put thru my flour grinder as coarse and gritty.
22gm of Angel Yellow.
25l water.
Nothing else.
Possibly the rice, but it was very glutinous.

What rice do you use?

Ele.

wormwood
Valued Member

Post by wormwood »

That's a tiny amount of rice for that amount of water. I've not watched any of the YouTube videos, so I don't know what they are recommending. I've just been following the instructions from the maker. They recommend 2.5 to 3 liters of water for each kilo of grain, with 5 to 8 grams of starter.

So far, I've done only one batch of rice and I used glutinous rice, but I can't imagine jasmine wouldn't work just as well. I've also done multiple batches of corn, barley, wheat, rye and oats, all following the same method and they've all been very successful.

Elecrafter

Post by Elecrafter »

Hmm.. 1.6kg, with about 5 or 6 litres of water gave me a 10 litre bucket of glue right to the top! It's why I topped up into the 30l fermenter.

So I feel there is room for experimentation.

Today, its a steady bubble.

Now thinking of putting in another Kg of rice. Although I think it's best to leave it alone to see what happens.
It's smelling nice.

Ele.

wormwood
Valued Member

Post by wormwood »

My glutinous rice ferment smelled absolutely vile for the first 24 hours or so, then suddenly turned very pleasantly fragrant.

Elecrafter

Post by Elecrafter »

wormwood wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:50 pm
So far, I've done only one batch of rice and I used glutinous rice, but I can't imagine jasmine wouldn't work just as well. I've also done multiple batches of corn, barley, wheat, rye and oats, all following the same method and they've all been very successful.
Interesting things happening.
The OG was 1012, and now 4 days later its fizzing away steadily, and the OG is now UP to 1035 despite fermenting for 3 ish days! I think the enzymes are doing their thing converting the sugars.
it seems like its working, and its an interesting brew. Keen to see what its like as plain fermented, if its nice, it may not ever get into the still!

@Wormwood, I take it you have used Angel Yellow yeast on the grains mentioned above? Is that what you did, and it all turned out OK?

Ele.

wormwood
Valued Member

Post by wormwood »

Yes, I did all those grains with the Angel starter, following the maker's instructions and they have all turned out well.

The glutinous rice seemed to have the best yield of all the grains I've tried so far, even giving me a little bit of leftover to enjoy as a wine.

Elecrafter

Post by Elecrafter »

Wormwood, Thanks for confirming. I thought that's what you meant. I have had similar thoughts, so will give it a try over the coming weeks.

Much appreciated

Ele.

Elecrafter

Post by Elecrafter »

It's now down to 1000sg. Lost its sweet smell, tastes slightly bitter.

I don't think it will be kept as wine.
Not sure there will be a high yield at all.

@Wormwood.. What make / type of rice did you use, and its source please?

Ele.

wormwood
Valued Member

Post by wormwood »

Young Elephant brand glutinous rice from Walmart. Not sure it you can get that in the UK, but I doubt the brand makes a lot of difference. The key thing would be to use a lot less water than you used.

Elecrafter

Post by Elecrafter »

Well, I was going to use a lot less water. It was meant to be a 10L trial batch, but at 10L of water, it was a bucket of paste!
It looks like its just about bottomed out, so I will check in the morning and may run it.

Did you use a Reflux or a Pot Still?
Sorry fo all the SBQ's.

Ele.

wormwood
Valued Member

Post by wormwood »

No worries with the questions.

I'm just using my trusty Airstill. Every batch I've done with this stuff has started out as an impossibly thick porridge, but by the next day has thinned out nicely. You've just got to let those enzymes do their thing.

Elecrafter

Post by Elecrafter »

Yes... And thanks. I ran it today, and it came out foul smelling an foul tasting. I really have never had anything like it before, as in really not good type of bad! So it all went down the drain, not even into the feints jar.
I wont give up, just leave it a while and try again later.

Ele.

Elecrafter

Post by Elecrafter »

Today, I found the reason for the bad taste.
The cause was believing what I was told! The New (to me) Pot-still I got was supposedly new and hardly used. And on the outside it looked that way.
But after the bad taste, I drilled out the rivets and found the answer. It had been used, and was very dirty inside. So a boiling Citric Acid soak and a good scrub out and its nice an clean.
A Rookie mistake, and I should have known better.

So may attempt the Rice wine again when I get the beer that's in the fermenter fished!

Ele.

Mash
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Mash »

Good news. I personally hate a problem you can't get to the bottom of!

Have you still got some of the original low wines or did you run it all?
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Elecrafter

Post by Elecrafter »

I tried to run it all. Fermenter is full of a Doombar Beer Clone, made from Grains. My 1st attempt at anything like that, and its smelling very good. As soon as that's out then I will possibly do another rice in the 10L bucket and use the AS, to see how it goes. Its a space problem. I could do with a Brew shed, but its full of other junk!