Alcotech Turbo Express 24

Discuss fermentation, different types of wash, etc
Mash
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Re: Alcotech Turbo Express 24

Post by Mash »

borntobewild wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:07 pm
Hmmm copper? As in putting copper in the airstill?
If so how will that help it compared to the ceramic beads I normally use?

I used a full bag of kale to try to give it extra nutrient
You want copper.
Copper helps many-fold. The flat bits rattle and tell you wants going on inside. It also prevents boil over. Assists with degassing. But must importantly it reacts with the wash and reduces the sulphur. You particularly need this bit if you have eggy smells in the wash.
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Hill Rise Hooch

Post by Hill Rise Hooch »

Well.

Thanks for all the comments.

Here's what actually happened.

It was placed in a "cool room" the first 24-36 hours were amazing, it was like piranhas eating raw meat, then is slowed down, temp dropped and I put an airlock on. It gently bubbled until 18th December wheh I added the 24 Turbo Clear.

Put it through the T500 yesterday and got 3.5lt of 93%, heads were not unusually different neither were the rest.

Filtered through the Spiritworks - Granular Carbon Filter and its as good as anything I've had in the past.

Ditched the carbon in the wash ages ago, does nowt apart form make a mess.

Mixed now with SS Classic Single Whiskey, Icon Cafe Maria and a few others.

Overall, it took just as long as I would normally do 9kg with Double Snake.

Thanks for your comments guys, Ive just started another thread on the Fermenting board.

Also about to pay £20 to keep this forum going

Merry Christmas everyone.

HRH
Rossendale

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

I'm glad that you got a good result.
And I thank you for your donation,
and I, in turn wish you a festive season that you would hope for!

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Mash

Post by Mash »

Curmudgeon wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:12 am
(I only had an airstill at the time, perhaps it's OK with a T500 or better.)
If you produce shite that clearly has known fermentation issues, the "shite in shite out" rule applies.

An airstill is a cracking tool, but not miracle worker.

The best alcohol is produced from a good ferment. If you don't allow off flavours to be created in the first place, you do not have to remove them later.

gaza the instructor

Post by gaza the instructor »

100% Mash well said.
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.

Maker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Maker »

You could try not using the turbo clear, it's another chemical added in to an already challenging brew.
Instead try setting your fermenter somewhere cold and miserable like Wales, failing that just outside this time of the year, it will stop completely and clear quite quickly too.
Hopefully now you have run a 'questionable short cut yeast' you will be able to pick up any off notes on your improved brews from now on, you could try Roberts lentil recipe or Kale, both very clean although the first time I fermented a kale wash it was in my bedroom and it smelled of FART for a week, the missus was not amused.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am...

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

These days, for neutral I use a bastard wash of lentils, sultanas and Tomato paste.
After Carbon filtering it is like drinking alcoholic water. :D

Robert.
There is no ONE way.

Mash

Post by Mash »

Hmm. Fresh tomato wash? With smallest drop of olive oil. Keep meaning to try it.

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

D'yer know, I bet just about anything you can think of would work.
We prolly need a section for the stuff that doesn't, it may be smaller!

Robert.
There is no ONE way.

phantom

Post by phantom »

well I'm gonna disagree (yes, I can be a contrary git).

Proper handling/use of turbos, can indeed produce perfectly acceptable neutral. Ability to taste is relative to the individual and little to do with the sweeping generalisations here.

The turbo's never state what strain of yeast they contain, and equally, while it's obvious that they're stuffed full of the appropriate amount of nutrients to make them ferment quickly, even the use of the term "turbo's" isn't helpful. After all, what actually is "turbo" in this context? apart from alluding to an analogy to an engineered turbo charger (the device that connects via the exhaust, to make the fuel/air mix get into the ignition chamber more quickly).

In this context, using the term "turbo" alludes to something that is faster than routine. What exactly would be the "routine" in the first place. There's plenty of info out there, where people quote pretty standard recipes/methods/tests and readings, yet that mix still ferments to dryness in a matter of days.

Yes, there's many that moan about the taste after one distillation i.e. just one run, with or without making cuts (making cuts being the thing that's done routinely in the "flavoured spirits" world).

I mean, are proprietary brands of vodka (in this example) made any differently ? I'd say not, just that the kind of kit that can be scaled up, while allowing the product to be produced pretty much without manual input from "staff", for a product that's good enough (as different from "perfect" - everyones idea of "perfect" will be different).

There are far too many variables. There is no set "standard" for good, bad or indifferent.

I'd prefer to see and read points from single perspective i.e. I tried the XXX product, used YYY yeast, it fermented as expected i.e. 7 or however many days the pack said, I didn't use any temperature control. I distilled it as a strip, which gave me AAA quantity at BBB strength. I reduced the strength down to CCC and did a "spirit" run and got DDD quantity at EEE strength.

I didn't like the flavour from the resulting strength spirit.

Trying to form a standard that we all agree with, to report the results in a way that's clearly understood by all, is in itself a difficult thing to do.

Because we all have different kit, we all have different ideas of what we like and would suggest is good.

This is why I'm happy that I just mix my water and sugar, let it cool to ambient overnight, then add the yeast/nutrient pack (I've now settled on Vodka star), and let the ferment do it's thing. Apart from when I tried to do a few concurrent batches that got chilled and stuck (they were in the shed when we got a cold spell), all my other batches have done "what it said on the tin" i.e. finished fermenting in 7 days - then I've left them for a further 7 days to drop almost as clear as happens when fining products are used.

Hence, it's more "horses for courses" and less "this is the right way to do that"!

And no, not being contrary per sé, just being devils advocate etc.........

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

Nothing wrong with playing the role of devils advocate. :)
And nothing wrong with Vodka Star, I moved away from it for financial reasons.
I started by using half a packet per wash.
The ingredients for my neutral washes these days cost around £1 for 50 litres, and they taste as good or better.
And I like ability to use store cupboard items.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.

Maker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Maker »

The winner winner chicken dinner for me comparing vodka star to store bought is the fact it reaches 14% rather than 10% so the yeild is far greater.
They both taste perfectly clean.

Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

Phantom, vodka star is a known well received "compromise" here and is not a turbo imo.

My definition of a not good "turbo" is super fast fermenting yeast and nutrient combo (see my sig).

My definition of OK that some people include in their definition of turbos is the like of vodka star which is a reasonably balanced mix of yeast and nutrients. It may be a bit more chemically (is that a word?) than is to some people's taste, but in my opinion, anything that ferments to 10%+ should take at least 7 days.
Slowly slowly, catchy funky

Don't stress the yeast

Maker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Maker »

What I'm finding with Vodka star is that if the temp is not constant throughout you can get a less pleasant product, I some times end up with more tails than I should for recycling but I'm not really bothered anymore. I brew 40L with 9 bags of sugar and 1 packet of VS, fits nicely in a 50L still and I get 2 demijohns of strip. I am also finding that after it has finished fermenting and settling for a week or 2 it needs stripping, leave it longer and I get less hearts, cant explain this, maybe bacterial, don't know so I just try to get it stripped on time.

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

And this is the magic of what we do.
Many different ways.
Many happy results.
But sharing is caring. :)

Robert.
There is no ONE way.

Mash

Post by Mash »

Maker wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:30 pm
What I'm finding with Vodka star is that if the temp is not constant throughout you can get a less pleasant product..
+1 all this type of yeast are on the edge of what you can achieve. Temp is always important.

I some times end up with more tails than I should for recycling but I'm not really bothered anymore. I brew 40L with 9 bags of sugar and 1 packet of VS, fits nicely in a 50L still and I get 2 demijohns of strip. I am also finding that after it has finished fermenting and settling for a week or 2 it needs stripping, leave it longer and I get less hearts..
Again spot on. Primary fermentation is just that. Primary. Although there is no co2 being produced the brew is still working on many levels. And you will lose alcohol.