Apple brandy wash

Discuss fermentation, different types of wash, etc
jacquie
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Apple brandy wash

Post by jacquie »

Hi guys, I want to start an apple wash to make brandy/calvados, I have apple concentrate (1ltr), 1kg of dried apple powder, and was thinking to mix it in with a load of cheap apple juice, sugar and wine yeast to make a wash. Couple of questions firstly do I need to add a nutrient, and secondly what do you reckon a good starting sg should be?

cheers

Jack
am pickled tink to yeet mou.....

myles

Re: Apple brandy wash

Post by myles »

You may not need any additional sugar. Taste the wash once mixed up before you add any yeast.

If you intend to strip it to low wines, and then either run those or mix 50:50 with fermented wash (only strip 1/2 of your wash) you want your stripped low wines to be 28% to 30%.

Using a pot still for the strip run, that normally means a fermented wash of about 8%. So SG of about 1.050 to 1.060.

jacquie

Post by jacquie »

great help, thank you myles - jack

myles

Post by myles »

Jacquie two other things to think about.

Increasing the fruit flavour in the distilled product.
There are basically 2 ways to do this that are fairly commonly used.

1. You infuse the final product with fruit.This usually colours - or makes cloudy - the final product. Sometimes they filter to get the product clear again.

2. You infuse the low wines. The advantage of this is you still get a clear distillate. I personally think this is where the 1.5 run method (strip 1/2 the wash - add the low wines to the other half of the wash, then do a spirit run) came from. It is fairly common practice to put the low wines back onto the fruit pulp for a month or so before doing a spirit run.

I am a big fan of the Alsace style clear fruit brandies, however, calvados is aged in oak, and distilled from cider. It may be worth your while to add in some still, dry, cider before you distill your wash, to get some more flavour into the wash. Crab apples will also help if you can get some.

phantom

Post by phantom »

I "think" I've got a book about calvados, but will have to wait till the weekend to see if I still have it.

I do recall that it has AOC status, but also that there's 3 variants. From memory, each one has itsy own listing for the apples (not relevant here of course), but there's at least 2 variations of distilling method/technique.

Can't promise that I'll find it but I'll have a check once the last 12-13 hour day is done on Friday..........

If I do find it, I'll see about any relevant points that may help.........

jacquie

Post by jacquie »

myles wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:33 pm
Jacquie two other things to think about.

2. You infuse the low wines. The advantage of this is you still get a clear distillate. I personally think this is where the 1.5 run method (strip 1/2 the wash - add the low wines to the other half of the wash, then do a spirit run) came from. It is fairly common practice to put the low wines back onto the fruit pulp for a month or so before doing a spirit run.

I am a big fan of the Alsace style clear fruit brandies, however, calvados is aged in oak, and distilled from cider. It may be worth your while to add in some still, dry, cider before you distill your wash, to get some more flavour into the wash. Crab apples will also help if you can get some.
Hi myles, thank you, couple of questions, using method 2, does this mean that some of the wash only gets distilled once, or do you mean to use leftover still content as a backset? Would adding dry cider be an instead of mixing with low wines or backset or as well as? And do you have recipe quantities/method for crab apple wash/wine?

Thanks

Jack

myles

Post by myles »

Hi Jacquie,
One of the disadvantages of the strip / spirit run "double run" technique is that you loose some flavour - although a lot carries through.

In the 1.5 run method, you strip 1/2 the wash, then add those low wines to the other half of the wash - fortifying it - and go straight into a spirit run. So yes part of the wash is only single distilled, part double distilled - hence 1.5 x distilled.

I think the most flavour intense method (without adding colour) is to infuse the low wines with fresh fruit prior to a strip run. Infuse then strain before doing the spirit run.

For cider you can mix as many types of apple as you can get your hands on to end up with 8lb to 10 lb fruit per gallon

Here are some links
http://www.cjoliprsf.ca/ciderhandbook.htm
http://www.cider.org.uk/

jacquie

Post by jacquie »

thanks miles, we have an old orchard nearby sadly most of the fruit just drops and rots, hopefuly can put a few of the apples and pears to good use - cheers - jack

Mash

Post by Mash »

For apples "falls" consider freezing and squashing or pressing rather than scratting. Much better product.
To Gin-finity and beyond !

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

Respect mate, for banging on your drum.
Results are qualitative, even subjective IMHO.
You may have to try all methods, and decide for yourself.
I would, but then I am an ornery old bugger. :)

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Mash

Post by Mash »

Agreed, but I only had to try this once.
To Gin-finity and beyond !

phantom

Post by phantom »

Concur with Mash. Much less particulate matter as well.

Only downside is having enough freezing space, but I suppose it can be done in batches etc.........

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

Mash wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:02 am
Agreed, but I only had to try this once.
Agreeing that I am an ornery old bugger. :) ?

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D