Alcotec Vodka Star Turbo Yeast

Discuss fermentation, different types of wash, etc
StillBrewing
Valued Member / Donated to SS

Alcotec Vodka Star Turbo Yeast

Post by StillBrewing »

I always said I would never, ever create a Turbo yeast wash. That was until I did a yeast swap with a member of another online group a few months ago. I sent him up half a kilo of Mauripan high active bread yeast and he sent me four packs of the Vodka Star Turbo.

A friend mentioned that these yeasts are one of the best 'IF' not used the conventional way where they ferment out loads of sugar at a high temp in less than a week. Following his advice I doubled up on my normal 10%abv sugar wash to just under 50L and used this yeast. These yeasts are supposed to be used in a 23L batch so wasn't expecting much after doubling up and fermenting much lower at 25C.

Now on my third batch and these yeasts are fantastic. Literally ten minutes to make the sugar/water solution up and add the yeast. Aquarium heater in the bottom of the fermenter set to 25C and away it goes.

There is virtually no smell to these washes, much cleaner than anything I have ever made. Taste wise its the cleanest Vodka I have ever tried. I double distil all my neutrals, two fast strips and then all back in, proofed down and run low and slow for the spirit run.

Never thought I could better my Vodka using Mauripan yeast but I have now.

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Re: Alcotec Vodka Star Turbo Yeast

Post by Easydrinker »

It has long been proclaimed that VS is the best 'Turbo', even claimed NOT to be one,
And, if you don't overload it with sugar, it produces a neutral tasting wash.
I have used it, and concur.
I moved on to other neutral washes purely because they cost much less.
I am happy that you are happy. :)
Some folk stick with things that work, others 'speriment.
No-one is wrong.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

phantom

Post by phantom »

Easydrinker wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:59 am
It has long been proclaimed that VS is the best 'Turbo', even claimed NOT to be one,
And, if you don't overload it with sugar, it produces a neutral-tasting wash.
I have used it, and concur.
I moved on to other neutral washes purely because they cost much less.
I am happy that you are happy. :)
Some folk stick with things that work, others 'speriment.
No-one is wrong.
Well stated chap :D

I was trying different brands/types when I found it all them years back. It's my yeast of choice for sugar wash.

I'd be happy to try all the other suggested ones too, but time/money/motivation, etc.

VS does a fine job for me so more than happy to "sing it's praises"

Personally I don't bother with all the time and temp stuff. I just use "tap hot" water to dissolve the sugar, then leave it overnight to cool and the following morning just add the VS, stir it in and then blitz the whole batch with a leccy balloon whisk for 3 or 4 minutes. I've yet to have a batch that doesn't start and finish inside 7 days, so I don't bother with heaters etc.

Also, because it will last, untouched, in the bucket for a good few weeks, I just leave it for a second week and most of the crap drops out naturally and I just strip it from there. Nice, easy production to keep me in schlurp..........

Mash

Post by Mash »

I am just too tight...
To Gin-finity and beyond !

gaza the instructor

Post by gaza the instructor »

It does a job!
Mirror-signal-manoeuvre.

Easydrinker
Admin/Donated to SS

Post by Easydrinker »

phantom wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:22 am

Also, because it will last, untouched, in the bucket for a good few weeks, I just leave it for a second week and most of the crap drops out naturally and I just strip it from there.
Going off topic here
offtopic.gif
offtopic.gif (41.31 KiB) Viewed 172 times
The nettle wash that I started June 3rd was finally stripped 18th July, lack of stilling time being the only reason.
I checked it every few days but it was sitting happy.
Longest I have ever left a wash.
The strip smells inoffensive.
Hope to do the spirit run tomorrow.
Results will be posted in the correct thread. :)

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
"Everyone's happy. Everyone's smiling. No-One here is sad anymore" :D

Mash

Post by Mash »

Tut tut tut 😄
To Gin-finity and beyond !

DorsetScott

Post by DorsetScott »

StillBrewing wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:02 am
I always said I would never, ever create a Turbo yeast wash. That was until I did a yeast swap with a member of another online group a few months ago. I sent him up half a kilo of Mauripan high active bread yeast and he sent me four packs of the Vodka Star Turbo.

A friend mentioned that these yeasts are one of the best 'IF' not used the conventional way where they ferment out loads of sugar at a high temp in less than a week. Following his advice I doubled up on my normal 10%abv sugar wash to just under 50L and used this yeast. These yeasts are supposed to be used in a 23L batch so wasn't expecting much after doubling up and fermenting much lower at 25C.

Now on my third batch and these yeasts are fantastic. Literally ten minutes to make the sugar/water solution up and add the yeast. Aquarium heater in the bottom of the fermenter set to 25C and away it goes.

There is virtually no smell to these washes, much cleaner than anything I have ever made. Taste wise its the cleanest Vodka I have ever tried. I double distil all my neutrals, two fast strips and then all back in, proofed down and run low and slow for the spirit run.

I've just had a crossing of paths moment as I remembered reading this already..........Neil by any chance?
I'm not under the affluence of incahol, thinkle only peep I am. Its just the drunker I sit here the longer I get.

StillBrewing

Post by StillBrewing »

DorsetScott wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:22 pm
StillBrewing wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:02 am

I've just had a crossing of paths moment as I remembered reading this already..........Neil by any chance?

Its is mate. Been floating around the groups for a long time and this is still one of my favourites.

Great guys here who really know their stuff.

DorsetScott

Post by DorsetScott »

StillBrewing wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:43 pm
Its is mate. Been floating around the groups for a long time and this is still one of my favourites.

Great guys here who really know their stuff.
Well hello!

Very true. I've found that most everything I've learnt has been from this forum, those FB groups I feel I've actually been able to pay some of the learning forward.

This still appears to be the friendliest place I've found too.
I'm not under the affluence of incahol, thinkle only peep I am. Its just the drunker I sit here the longer I get.