A good problem to have, hopefully

A place for general discussion

A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Maker » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:22 am

I picked up a couple of fermenting barrels today, nice and cheap off facebook, turned up at the chaps house and was offered another for free as it was in his way, quite happy at this point, he asked what I was brewing so I said whiskey to see what his reaction would be, instead of looking puzzled he said he had a keg in the garden that would make a good boiler, did I want it? ;) Slightly took a back I said I would have a look, he had a rummage and returned with a 50L cider barrel in stainless, handed it to me and I said thats heavy, he replied it still has cider in it, I thanked him and drove away giggling. I have compared it with an empty keg and I think there is a couple of gallons still inside, I don't wish to buy a tap to fit it but I want whats inside, is there a way to get it out?


Image
User avatar
Maker
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
Stills: KEG

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Myles » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:32 am

What is inside it may be really bad if it has been half empty for a long time.

Either way you need to release the pressure before you do anything with it. Put it on its side and sit on it. Point it away from you and use something blunt and a hammer to tap the centre disk. Be prepared for a lot of mess. Keep bumping that centre until all the pressure has gone and then you can think about removing the Sanke G type fitting.
User avatar
Myles
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Icefever » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:12 am

There are videos on you tube...be very careful.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
User avatar
Icefever
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Kingdom of Mercia

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Myles » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 am

Icefever wrote:There are videos on you tube...be very careful.


+1 on that. You don`t want any pressure in there when you try to take out the spear.
User avatar
Myles
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Easydrinker » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:52 pm

The first keg that I broke into with a hammer, maybe 30 years ago, shot its clever bits about 20 feet into the air. ;D
Take care.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby just sayin' » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:49 am

Great score, Marker! You had a great day!
User avatar
just sayin'
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby packapoo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:20 pm

I found a large economy sized crow bar worked wonders ;D

Very quick, spear succumbed immediately, no risk 8)
I seldom take myself seriously....
User avatar
packapoo
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
Location: Marton, New Zealand
Stills: Amphora PDA-1

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby H12rpo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:00 pm

My keg has turned up and has exactly the same fitting........how the f did you get it off Maker?
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Easydrinker » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:31 pm

Maker has been absent from this thread for a few days.
I hope that he didn't blow his head off using a hammer or crowbar.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby H12rpo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:55 pm

He hasn’t joined the ranks of those thatve pi$$ed off the porridge gobbler has he???
:)
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby H12rpo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:03 am

Anyone else with any advice on this specific keg fitting then please ?
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Mash » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:18 am

Which one have you got ?

There are spanners for these, but there are a couple of different types.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby H12rpo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Exactly the same as the op with 3 flat sides
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Mash » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:54 pm

Its a G-type. Not hard - here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XglWWvIe9js

make sure the pressure is out before you start AND do it outside.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby H12rpo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Ta very much......looks easy enough.

As an aside. I’m intending a build which will have a column which I can change bits of in a modular approach, so for eg a packed section which by undoing a few clamps can be swapped out for a straight through pipe for whisky and maybe a head which includes a reflux coil which again could be swapped out for a plain pot head top/lyne arm.

Anyone done this ? Or is there a link I can go to for different still designs
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Easydrinker, Google [Bot] and 0 guests

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: Easydrinker, Google [Bot] and 0 guests