Recycling yeast

Discuss fermentation, different types of wash, etc

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby Mash » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:49 am

On the subject of Mr Green how rich do you have to be to give 300m back !!!!
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby Easydrinker » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:55 am

If you have to ask then you cannot afford it :D
Me, I do it 'cos I is a chump!

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby inspector gadget » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:49 am

Mash wrote:On the subject of Mr Green how rich do you have to be to give 300m back !!!!


You have to belong to the 'Forbes' richest 500 list...?
User avatar
inspector gadget
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:44 am
Location: South Holland Le Fens
Stills: SmartStill,T500

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby Icefever » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:12 am

inspector gadget wrote:
Mash wrote:On the subject of Mr Green how rich do you have to be to give 300m back !!!!


You have to belong to the 'Forbes' richest 500 list...?


That counts me out... ::) ::)
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
User avatar
Icefever
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Kingdom of Mercia

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby gaza the instructor » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:16 am

Would have to dig deep into my
piggy bank. That's £2999999 short ;D
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
User avatar
gaza the instructor
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: sunny surrey
Stills: s.s&t500 copper

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby inspector gadget » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:43 am

gaza the instructor wrote:Would have to dig deep into my
piggy bank. That's £2999999 short ;D


I think you left a few zero's off, if you are only that much short please send the copter up to bring me some lunch please...

I'm only £299,000,000 short but I can have a look in the man drawer for some loose change.

Gadget
User avatar
inspector gadget
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:44 am
Location: South Holland Le Fens
Stills: SmartStill,T500

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby spot » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:19 am

If I re-use the thread for a post or two - there's no mention on the site of freezing live yeast, not that I could find. A couple of side references in What I Did Today, that's all.

I've seen a few web pages on scrupulously pouring cryogenic glycerin round the cells before they get to the freezer but before I try that, has anyone just bunged a block of yeast in the freezer for a month and used it with no problem?
spot
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:17 pm

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby Mash » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Yes. Bunged. Yes. Works.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby Curmudgeon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:26 pm

Robert is Scottish and his antennae will twitch when saving is mentioned, however he does not in my experience do mornings

jesting aside, I'm sure from home brew background that any sort of freezing or chilling yeast is a good thing. I regularly fold packets of yeast over, tuck an elastic band round them and put them in the eggy part of door of fridge and I promise they are fine months later.
User avatar
Curmudgeon
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
Stills: pot head

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby spot » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:37 pm

That's good - I chopped a pack into several sandwich bags and it's now in the freezer, all but one portion to see how it does. It arrived today, smells wonderful, tastes right, I thought it was a nice price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381172919674

- and I want a stethoscope to hear how much bubbling is going on in my tub.
spot
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:17 pm

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby Anavrin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:58 pm

You could just re-use the lees, my UJSSM had a full tin of Allinsons added to the first 40 litre batch, it's now on its 4th 40 litre ferment, no more yeast was ever added, it just keeps on going :)
Last edited by Anavrin on Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby spot » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:27 am

I'd not considered that - I've now made a note to see how it compares.
spot
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:17 pm

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby Mash » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:46 am

spot wrote:If I re-use the thread for a post or two - there's no mention on the site of freezing live yeast.


Re reading this. What do you mean by live yeast. Baker's live yeast in a block or yeast taken during our after fermentation?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby spot » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:05 am

It was Baker's live yeast in a block that I'd found online, I was wondering how well it would stand the freezer. I'll give the remainder of a ferment a shot too - I'd originally thought it was an unlikely source if finings had been used. These are more like peripheral musings than essential core questions though, and they're easily answered by giving each a try.
spot
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:17 pm

Re: Recycling yeast

Postby Mash » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:36 pm

Righto - yes - it will 2 months ish live. Cut before freezing - clingfilm each block. Thaw in cold water to recover it gently to room temp. Pain in the arse.

Fermipan of a better bulk yeast and probably the same price.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests