Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
18 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
I have a T500 with the reflux column still and get 3.5 l of 93/4 from a 21 Ltr 6kg sugar mash, discarding the first 150-200ml of aceton-y distillate.
I then put my gin botanicals in it, dilute it down to +-35% and run it through with a copper dome and alembic condenser. Apart from the ABV changing from start to finish, I can't really notice any taste difference at all. Is there any need to discard anything from heads or tails when my starting spirit is the output from a reflux still? I can't tell any difference between a diluted 40% including heads and tails and a hearts-only.
I then put my gin botanicals in it, dilute it down to +-35% and run it through with a copper dome and alembic condenser. Apart from the ABV changing from start to finish, I can't really notice any taste difference at all. Is there any need to discard anything from heads or tails when my starting spirit is the output from a reflux still? I can't tell any difference between a diluted 40% including heads and tails and a hearts-only.
-

Rifty01 - Newcomer
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:29 pm
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
Can I ask whether you suffer from hangovers after a session on your gin? Or worse, issues at the 'other end'?
If yes, then you are at the point of needing to learn the lesson we all learn - how to make cuts. There are excellent guides here.
If no, then I wish I had your metabolism..!!
Maybe try a run without the botanicals, and collecting in small quantities. You'll get it then, honest
Cheers
Hampk
If yes, then you are at the point of needing to learn the lesson we all learn - how to make cuts. There are excellent guides here.
If no, then I wish I had your metabolism..!!
Maybe try a run without the botanicals, and collecting in small quantities. You'll get it then, honest
Cheers
Hampk
-

hampk - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 369
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
- Location: A hill with a view
- Stills: Airstill
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
We all choose the way that we operate.
I will not say that you are wrong, but I would also be throwing out the first small measure of distillate after adding botanicals and re-running.
Maybe I have miss understood your post?
Other than that, I think that hampk's response mirrors any that I would make.
We don't try and enforce unenforceable rules here, we do try and help, educate and keep people safe.
If it is just yourself drinking your product, then I believe that you should just do as you wish.
IF you share it with other people, then I believe you have a duty of care to them.
Here endeth the sermon.
Robert.
I will not say that you are wrong, but I would also be throwing out the first small measure of distillate after adding botanicals and re-running.
Maybe I have miss understood your post?
Other than that, I think that hampk's response mirrors any that I would make.
We don't try and enforce unenforceable rules here, we do try and help, educate and keep people safe.
If it is just yourself drinking your product, then I believe that you should just do as you wish.
IF you share it with other people, then I believe you have a duty of care to them.
Here endeth the sermon.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
hampk said largely what I would have and Robert clarified the remaining.
If you like your produce and wake up feeling fresh then great.
I know a lot of people that prefer commercial booze that has a bite and a headache next day as they know they are drinking.
Tails are harder to figure, but even vaguely rough guts next day say you went there.
The experiment/art you are now able to play with is replacing £10 supermarket booze with £1 self distilled or £25 premiumish shop bought or £3 awesome self distilled with practice.
edit : I don't drink gin, but I'd happily bet a thousand pounds that any of the local gin makers near me would prefer a neutral one of us made over commercial vodka/neutral
If you like your produce and wake up feeling fresh then great.
I know a lot of people that prefer commercial booze that has a bite and a headache next day as they know they are drinking.
Tails are harder to figure, but even vaguely rough guts next day say you went there.
The experiment/art you are now able to play with is replacing £10 supermarket booze with £1 self distilled or £25 premiumish shop bought or £3 awesome self distilled with practice.
edit : I don't drink gin, but I'd happily bet a thousand pounds that any of the local gin makers near me would prefer a neutral one of us made over commercial vodka/neutral
-

Curmudgeon - Master Distiller

- Posts: 521
- Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
- Stills: pot head
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
Went to a restarant a few weeks back. One of our groups
sons is a senior chef there.Turns out they make gin too.
So armed with a couple of my Gins, by request, we go.
I think one of the Gins was called Sipsmiths about £40
a go.Prof Gin Whos name is Alan, was very surprised and
complimentary about my Gin and said he really wanted to
try my Teagin. The kit they use is very impressive.
Very much like the big stuff from SD.
sons is a senior chef there.Turns out they make gin too.
So armed with a couple of my Gins, by request, we go.
I think one of the Gins was called Sipsmiths about £40
a go.Prof Gin Whos name is Alan, was very surprised and
complimentary about my Gin and said he really wanted to
try my Teagin. The kit they use is very impressive.
Very much like the big stuff from SD.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
Rifty01. Great first post. Welcome to the board. We are a friendly bunch and you will find us a bit unlike other sites you may have visited. Stick around there as plenty of reading and plenty of questions.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
gaza the instructor wrote:... Prof Gin Whos name is Alan, was very surprised and
complimentary about my Gin and said he really wanted to
try my Teagin. The kit they use is very impressive.
Very much like the big stuff from SD.
Well done. Did you do it in the T500 or the AS?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
Used the AS and Sputnik.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
Nice one.
I tried a razor blade called "sputnik" today. Had to be be done.
I tried a razor blade called "sputnik" today. Had to be be done.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
Does it give you a closer shave on reentry.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
Does zero gravity slow bristle growth?
Robert.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
Hmmm not really, but it does... go like a rocket.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
The T500 manual states that the still doesn't produce tails.........I'm going to have a go at the double distill and cutting with my next wash just to see if that's true.
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
Here is some reading from this sites history.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=670
There is a wealth of information here already.
Robert.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=670
There is a wealth of information here already.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?
I have a T500 and the copperware. It is an awesome
piece of mass produced kit.I must have over 200 runs
under my belt. I do all stripping runs with the
copper on.Spirit runs Vodka and the like on the Reflux
the rest in copper. Gin all made in my AS.
H12rpo sorry to tell you but yes the T500 does produce
heads and tails.
Please dont take this as a guide.
I have 25ltrs ( 3 Kale washes }stripped and watered at 38% ABV. So I should
harvest 8.5 ltrs at 94% on the spirit run,
200ml Jars to take off the undrinkable (fores)
1000 ml Jars to the end so 8 or 9 jars to
smell and taste the next day mate.
jars one and two def heads and the last full and part tails.
piece of mass produced kit.I must have over 200 runs
under my belt. I do all stripping runs with the
copper on.Spirit runs Vodka and the like on the Reflux
the rest in copper. Gin all made in my AS.
H12rpo sorry to tell you but yes the T500 does produce
heads and tails.
Please dont take this as a guide.
I have 25ltrs ( 3 Kale washes }stripped and watered at 38% ABV. So I should
harvest 8.5 ltrs at 94% on the spirit run,
200ml Jars to take off the undrinkable (fores)
1000 ml Jars to the end so 8 or 9 jars to
smell and taste the next day mate.
jars one and two def heads and the last full and part tails.
Last edited by gaza the instructor on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
18 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest