Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

The distillation process itself

Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby Rifty01 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:42 pm

I have a T500 with the reflux column still and get 3.5 l of 93/4 from a 21 Ltr 6kg sugar mash, discarding the first 150-200ml of aceton-y distillate.

I then put my gin botanicals in it, dilute it down to +-35% and run it through with a copper dome and alembic condenser. Apart from the ABV changing from start to finish, I can't really notice any taste difference at all. Is there any need to discard anything from heads or tails when my starting spirit is the output from a reflux still? I can't tell any difference between a diluted 40% including heads and tails and a hearts-only.
User avatar
Rifty01
Newcomer
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby hampk » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Can I ask whether you suffer from hangovers after a session on your gin? Or worse, issues at the 'other end'?

If yes, then you are at the point of needing to learn the lesson we all learn - how to make cuts. There are excellent guides here.

If no, then I wish I had your metabolism..!!

Maybe try a run without the botanicals, and collecting in small quantities. You'll get it then, honest

Cheers

Hampk
User avatar
hampk
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: A hill with a view
Stills: Airstill

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby Easydrinker » Mon May 01, 2017 12:00 am

We all choose the way that we operate.
I will not say that you are wrong, but I would also be throwing out the first small measure of distillate after adding botanicals and re-running.
Maybe I have miss understood your post?
Other than that, I think that hampk's response mirrors any that I would make.
We don't try and enforce unenforceable rules here, we do try and help, educate and keep people safe.
If it is just yourself drinking your product, then I believe that you should just do as you wish.
IF you share it with other people, then I believe you have a duty of care to them.

Here endeth the sermon.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby Curmudgeon » Wed May 03, 2017 2:07 am

hampk said largely what I would have and Robert clarified the remaining.

If you like your produce and wake up feeling fresh then great.

I know a lot of people that prefer commercial booze that has a bite and a headache next day as they know they are drinking.

Tails are harder to figure, but even vaguely rough guts next day say you went there.

The experiment/art you are now able to play with is replacing £10 supermarket booze with £1 self distilled or £25 premiumish shop bought or £3 awesome self distilled with practice.

edit : I don't drink gin, but I'd happily bet a thousand pounds that any of the local gin makers near me would prefer a neutral one of us made over commercial vodka/neutral
User avatar
Curmudgeon
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
Stills: pot head

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby gaza the instructor » Wed May 03, 2017 6:49 am

Went to a restarant a few weeks back. One of our groups
sons is a senior chef there.Turns out they make gin too.
So armed with a couple of my Gins, by request, we go.
I think one of the Gins was called Sipsmiths about £40
a go.Prof Gin Whos name is Alan, was very surprised and
complimentary about my Gin and said he really wanted to
try my Teagin. The kit they use is very impressive.
Very much like the big stuff from SD.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
User avatar
gaza the instructor
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: sunny surrey
Stills: s.s&t500 copper

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby Mash » Wed May 03, 2017 9:09 am

Rifty01. Great first post. Welcome to the board. We are a friendly bunch and you will find us a bit unlike other sites you may have visited. Stick around there as plenty of reading and plenty of questions.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby Mash » Wed May 03, 2017 9:11 am

gaza the instructor wrote:... Prof Gin Whos name is Alan, was very surprised and
complimentary about my Gin and said he really wanted to
try my Teagin. The kit they use is very impressive.
Very much like the big stuff from SD.


Well done. Did you do it in the T500 or the AS?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby gaza the instructor » Thu May 04, 2017 6:10 am

Used the AS and Sputnik.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
User avatar
gaza the instructor
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: sunny surrey
Stills: s.s&t500 copper

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby Mash » Thu May 04, 2017 6:19 am

Nice one.

I tried a razor blade called "sputnik" today. Had to be be done.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby gaza the instructor » Thu May 04, 2017 7:57 pm

Does it give you a closer shave on reentry.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
User avatar
gaza the instructor
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: sunny surrey
Stills: s.s&t500 copper

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby Easydrinker » Thu May 04, 2017 11:39 pm

Does zero gravity slow bristle growth?

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby Mash » Fri May 05, 2017 6:21 am

Hmmm not really, but it does... go like a rocket.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby H12rpo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:56 pm

The T500 manual states that the still doesn't produce tails.........I'm going to have a go at the double distill and cutting with my next wash just to see if that's true.
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby Easydrinker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Here is some reading from this sites history.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=670
There is a wealth of information here already.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Heads, tails needed if the first run is a T500 reflux?

Postby gaza the instructor » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:45 pm

I have a T500 and the copperware. It is an awesome
piece of mass produced kit.I must have over 200 runs
under my belt. I do all stripping runs with the
copper on.Spirit runs Vodka and the like on the Reflux
the rest in copper. Gin all made in my AS.
H12rpo sorry to tell you but yes the T500 does produce
heads and tails.
Please dont take this as a guide.
I have 25ltrs ( 3 Kale washes }stripped and watered at 38% ABV. So I should
harvest 8.5 ltrs at 94% on the spirit run,
200ml Jars to take off the undrinkable (fores)
1000 ml Jars to the end so 8 or 9 jars to
smell and taste the next day mate.
jars one and two def heads and the last full and part tails.
Last edited by gaza the instructor on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
User avatar
gaza the instructor
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: sunny surrey
Stills: s.s&t500 copper

Next

Return to Distillation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests