Vodka star
40 posts
• Page 3 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
Re: Vodka star
I have been playing with UJSSM and buccaneer bobs rum recently, I wondered if VS trub is a worthwhile additive to these, if it can be frozen it seems a shame to keep throwing it away.
As it happens I am on a septic tank so it sounds like it's not been wasted so far!
As it happens I am on a septic tank so it sounds like it's not been wasted so far!
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
Re: Vodka star
Maker wrote:I have been playing with UJSSM and buccaneer bobs rum recently, I wondered if VS trub is a worthwhile additive to these, if it can be frozen it seems a shame to keep throwing it away.
As it happens I am on a septic tank so it sounds like it's not been wasted so far!
meh! VS is designed to do vodka/neutrals. Dunno about whats suggested for the sour mash, but it does seem that most "rum bashers" prefer bread yeast.........
RJ might have a better suggestion though.......
Equally, you could dry it out and use it for organic nutrients for something.........
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: Vodka star
I certainly will freeze.
Drying it out ...hmm. But you did make me think - perhaps it could be used in a bread recipe?
EDIT: A bit later.
Seems a lot of people bake bread with trub (beer brewing left overs) seems the hops add a bitterness, which can be overpowering. So as thats not a problem here ....
Drying it out ...hmm. But you did make me think - perhaps it could be used in a bread recipe?
EDIT: A bit later.
Seems a lot of people bake bread with trub (beer brewing left overs) seems the hops add a bitterness, which can be overpowering. So as thats not a problem here ....
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Vodka star
I am unsure of the sugar content of my septic tank, but my shit does smell of roses.
I don't think trub brings anything to the party, but suspect that it also taketh nothing away.
Robert.
I don't think trub brings anything to the party, but suspect that it also taketh nothing away.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Vodka star
I guess it depends which party you're going to 

email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Vodka star
@ Phantom. Although it is easier to get a lot of items these says as opposed to 5 or 10 years ago, I often have to make do with what is available. Many people think that because something is “Made In China“ , it is available here. Not the case. Most is made for export.
I use a Chinese bread yeast that is availabe in GB, I believe. Think I looked it up on Amazon a few years ago.
Angel Instant Dry Yeast. Sugar tolerant.
I use a Chinese bread yeast that is availabe in GB, I believe. Think I looked it up on Amazon a few years ago.
Angel Instant Dry Yeast. Sugar tolerant.
-

RumJohn - Master Distiller

- Posts: 606
- Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 am
- Location: Sanya, China
- Stills: Homegrown
Re: Vodka star
No doubt about that RJ, just suspected that if anyone would know of a "specific rum/molasses yeast" it'd be you.
But it seems that bread yeast does the trick........
But it seems that bread yeast does the trick........
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: Vodka star
Ive done quite a few VS washes now even tried 5kg sugar with half a pack of VS ,it works but takes weeks.so for the small saving not worth it to me.
i have tried still spirits turbo clear but to be honest i dont think it works that well on this .the one thing that works for me is sparkolloid powder i got it from the usa mail order ,amazon i think it was.1tbsp boiled for 5 mins in a cup of water then chuck it in give a really good stir then in 24 hours super clear ,worked on all the washes ive tried so far.
i have tried still spirits turbo clear but to be honest i dont think it works that well on this .the one thing that works for me is sparkolloid powder i got it from the usa mail order ,amazon i think it was.1tbsp boiled for 5 mins in a cup of water then chuck it in give a really good stir then in 24 hours super clear ,worked on all the washes ive tried so far.
-

ninja_geezer - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
- Location: Planet Earth
Re: Vodka star
ninja_geezer wrote:Ive done quite a few VS washes now even tried 5kg sugar with half a pack of VS ,it works but takes weeks.so for the small saving not worth it to me.
i have tried still spirits turbo clear but to be honest i dont think it works that well on this .the one thing that works for me is sparkolloid powder i got it from the usa mail order ,amazon i think it was.1tbsp boiled for 5 mins in a cup of water then chuck it in give a really good stir then in 24 hours super clear ,worked on all the washes ive tried so far.
Well I'd guess that if you made a decent sized "yeast starter" to build the colony into about a litre, then you'd get away with 1 pack in 2 buckets of wash - because using half from dry means that the lag phase takes longer but also the nutrients that come with the yeast in the pack are also halved.
Hence you may need to add a bit more for both the buckets to ferment in the normal 1 week period.
As for sparkolloid, there's both cold mix and hot mix - you obviously got hot mix. I'm wondering if just using bentonite in a batch of wash up front would have the same effect....
Good effort mind, if it works and tastes good then all power to you.......

-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
40 posts
• Page 3 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests