Bicaronate of soda ?
12 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Bicaronate of soda ?
Anyone used this method at all ?
was thinking of trying it with my kale washes .
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =15&t=5753
was thinking of trying it with my kale washes .
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =15&t=5753
-

ninja_geezer - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
- Location: Planet Earth
Re: Bicaronate of soda ?
THAT described method no...
I routinely add about about 50g of Bicarb to every 25 litres of neutral ferment on day 3 to get the Ph back to something that sees it finish well.
Try a search, someone here mentioned this a couple of years ago, AFAICR.
It didn't seem to get much response.
Robert.
I routinely add about about 50g of Bicarb to every 25 litres of neutral ferment on day 3 to get the Ph back to something that sees it finish well.
Try a search, someone here mentioned this a couple of years ago, AFAICR.
It didn't seem to get much response.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Bicaronate of soda ?
Easydrinker wrote:THAT described method no...
I routinely add about about 50g of Bicarb to every 25 litres of neutral ferment on day 3 to get the Ph back to something that sees it finish well.
Try a search, someone here mentioned this a couple of years ago, AFAICR.
It didn't seem to get much response.
Robert.
Thanks Robert ,thats useful info ,maybe that will stop me having to pop the lid and give it a good stair as it really slows down after a week almost stalling .if i pop a teaspoon or 2 in at this time would it help or should i check the ph first ? i live in a very hard water area if this makes any difference.
-

ninja_geezer - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
- Location: Planet Earth
Re: Bicaronate of soda ?
I used to reliably have slow wash problems; lentils, wheat and kale all seemed to take ages. I now routinely add 50g of sodium bicarbonate and 50g of citric acid when I kick off a wash - it buffers the pH and I now get a much more acceptable ferment time.
Cheers
Hampk
Cheers
Hampk
-

hampk - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 369
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
- Location: A hill with a view
- Stills: Airstill
Re: Bicaronate of soda ?
hampk wrote:I used to reliably have slow wash problems; lentils, wheat and kale all seemed to take ages. I now routinely add 50g of sodium bicarbonate and 50g of citric acid when I kick off a wash - it buffers the pH and I now get a much more acceptable ferment time.
Cheers
Hampk
Great sounds just the job,,are you in a hard water area ? and any idea what the ph of your wash is,ive just checked a kale wash a week in and i was amazed its at 4.02 i thought it would be a bit higher than that ..
-

ninja_geezer - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
- Location: Planet Earth
Re: Bicaronate of soda ?
50g of alkaline and 50g of acid ?? I presume that didn't change the ph.......so what does it actually do ?
What is buffering ?
What is buffering ?
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: Bicaronate of soda ?
I will be totally honest, I have tried, but do not see/understand the "science" behind buffering.
However having the means; cheap Litmus strips or a cheap Yellow electric wand being two ways to get at least an approx. of your ph. seems good to me.
My washes usually start around 5.5.
When I add Sodium Bicarb. it is sub 4.
That seems good.
The wash then finishes sub 4.
And is only done the once.
Robert.
However having the means; cheap Litmus strips or a cheap Yellow electric wand being two ways to get at least an approx. of your ph. seems good to me.
My washes usually start around 5.5.
When I add Sodium Bicarb. it is sub 4.
That seems good.
The wash then finishes sub 4.
And is only done the once.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Bicaronate of soda ?
The Wikipedia entry on pH buffers is actually not a bad entry as Wikipedia entries go
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_solution
The acid/alkali mixture prevents rapid and large swings to either end of the pH scale. The usual example is maintaining pH during a large addition of acid (or alkali) to a buffered solution. If you consider a ferment, that's kind of what happens, only slowly - as a ferment progresses, the wash becomes increasingly acid, eventually resulting in very slow or stalled fermentation. A pH buffer resists this change, thus allowing the yeasties to continue doing their stuff effectively. This at least is how I uderstand it.
Eitehr way, it works for me, so I shall keep doing it.
Cheers
Hampk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_solution
The acid/alkali mixture prevents rapid and large swings to either end of the pH scale. The usual example is maintaining pH during a large addition of acid (or alkali) to a buffered solution. If you consider a ferment, that's kind of what happens, only slowly - as a ferment progresses, the wash becomes increasingly acid, eventually resulting in very slow or stalled fermentation. A pH buffer resists this change, thus allowing the yeasties to continue doing their stuff effectively. This at least is how I uderstand it.
Eitehr way, it works for me, so I shall keep doing it.
Cheers
Hampk
-

hampk - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 369
- Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
- Location: A hill with a view
- Stills: Airstill
Re: Bicaronate of soda ?
A good old school winemaker said to me that
if there was a limescale build-up in the
kettle you shouldn't need to adjust the PH.
So I make from that hard water is good.
if there was a limescale build-up in the
kettle you shouldn't need to adjust the PH.
So I make from that hard water is good.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
than a full frontal lobotomy
-

gaza the instructor - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1595
- Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
- Location: sunny surrey
- Stills: s.s&t500 copper
Re: Bicaronate of soda ?
Got to say that the wiki entry is about as understandable as quantum physics . I'm none the wiser
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: Bicaronate of soda ?
gaza the instructor wrote:A good old school winemaker said to me that
if there was a limescale build-up in the
kettle you shouldn't need to adjust the PH.
So I make from that hard water is good.
Never heard it put like that but BANG ON.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Bicaronate of soda ?
For sure hard water is good for beer brewing.
My experience tells me that a good ph to start a brew is 5.5.
Where mine usally start without fiddling with them.
I add Bi-carb to get it finished fast somewhere sub 4.
We all have our own methods.
Robert.
My experience tells me that a good ph to start a brew is 5.5.
Where mine usally start without fiddling with them.
I add Bi-carb to get it finished fast somewhere sub 4.
We all have our own methods.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
12 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest