Bicaronate of soda ?

The distillation process itself

Bicaronate of soda ?

Postby ninja_geezer » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:43 pm

Anyone used this method at all ?
was thinking of trying it with my kale washes .

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =15&t=5753
User avatar
ninja_geezer
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Re: Bicaronate of soda ?

Postby Easydrinker » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:34 pm

THAT described method no...
I routinely add about about 50g of Bicarb to every 25 litres of neutral ferment on day 3 to get the Ph back to something that sees it finish well.
Try a search, someone here mentioned this a couple of years ago, AFAICR.
It didn't seem to get much response.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Bicaronate of soda ?

Postby ninja_geezer » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:04 pm

Easydrinker wrote:THAT described method no...
I routinely add about about 50g of Bicarb to every 25 litres of neutral ferment on day 3 to get the Ph back to something that sees it finish well.
Try a search, someone here mentioned this a couple of years ago, AFAICR.
It didn't seem to get much response.

Robert.

Thanks Robert ,thats useful info ,maybe that will stop me having to pop the lid and give it a good stair as it really slows down after a week almost stalling .if i pop a teaspoon or 2 in at this time would it help or should i check the ph first ? i live in a very hard water area if this makes any difference.
User avatar
ninja_geezer
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Re: Bicaronate of soda ?

Postby hampk » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:30 pm

I used to reliably have slow wash problems; lentils, wheat and kale all seemed to take ages. I now routinely add 50g of sodium bicarbonate and 50g of citric acid when I kick off a wash - it buffers the pH and I now get a much more acceptable ferment time.

Cheers

Hampk
User avatar
hampk
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: A hill with a view
Stills: Airstill

Re: Bicaronate of soda ?

Postby ninja_geezer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:11 pm

hampk wrote:I used to reliably have slow wash problems; lentils, wheat and kale all seemed to take ages. I now routinely add 50g of sodium bicarbonate and 50g of citric acid when I kick off a wash - it buffers the pH and I now get a much more acceptable ferment time.

Cheers

Hampk


Great sounds just the job,,are you in a hard water area ? and any idea what the ph of your wash is,ive just checked a kale wash a week in and i was amazed its at 4.02 i thought it would be a bit higher than that ..
User avatar
ninja_geezer
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Re: Bicaronate of soda ?

Postby H12rpo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:41 pm

50g of alkaline and 50g of acid ?? I presume that didn't change the ph.......so what does it actually do ?
What is buffering ?
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: Bicaronate of soda ?

Postby Easydrinker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:09 pm

I will be totally honest, I have tried, but do not see/understand the "science" behind buffering. :o
However having the means; cheap Litmus strips or a cheap Yellow electric wand being two ways to get at least an approx. of your ph. seems good to me.
My washes usually start around 5.5.
When I add Sodium Bicarb. it is sub 4.
That seems good.
The wash then finishes sub 4.
And is only done the once.


Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Bicaronate of soda ?

Postby hampk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:19 pm

The Wikipedia entry on pH buffers is actually not a bad entry as Wikipedia entries go ::)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_solution

The acid/alkali mixture prevents rapid and large swings to either end of the pH scale. The usual example is maintaining pH during a large addition of acid (or alkali) to a buffered solution. If you consider a ferment, that's kind of what happens, only slowly - as a ferment progresses, the wash becomes increasingly acid, eventually resulting in very slow or stalled fermentation. A pH buffer resists this change, thus allowing the yeasties to continue doing their stuff effectively. This at least is how I uderstand it.

Eitehr way, it works for me, so I shall keep doing it.

Cheers

Hampk
User avatar
hampk
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: A hill with a view
Stills: Airstill

Re: Bicaronate of soda ?

Postby gaza the instructor » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:15 pm

A good old school winemaker said to me that
if there was a limescale build-up in the
kettle you shouldn't need to adjust the PH.
So I make from that hard water is good.
Rather have a full bottle in front of me
than a full frontal lobotomy
User avatar
gaza the instructor
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 pm
Location: sunny surrey
Stills: s.s&t500 copper

Re: Bicaronate of soda ?

Postby H12rpo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:29 pm

Got to say that the wiki entry is about as understandable as quantum physics . I'm none the wiser
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: Bicaronate of soda ?

Postby Mash » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:43 am

gaza the instructor wrote:A good old school winemaker said to me that
if there was a limescale build-up in the
kettle you shouldn't need to adjust the PH.
So I make from that hard water is good.



Never heard it put like that but BANG ON.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Bicaronate of soda ?

Postby Easydrinker » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:54 pm

For sure hard water is good for beer brewing.
My experience tells me that a good ph to start a brew is 5.5.
Where mine usally start without fiddling with them.
I add Bi-carb to get it finished fast somewhere sub 4.
We all have our own methods.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly


Return to Distillation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests