A good problem to have, hopefully
31 posts
• Page 2 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
I'm still working up to the deed rather than 'dead'... I pointed it out of my workshop door, straddled it like a cowboy and gave it a fair whack with a blunt drift, a few times, no joy so far, bigger hammer is needed, I will report back when I have it open with a picture.
I spoke with a chap who worked in a pub and he said he would be suprised if the cider was still any good, I am still full of hope at this point, if it turns out to be 'questionable' I will of course offer it to the wife so it is not wasted, although she might be.
I spoke with a chap who worked in a pub and he said he would be suprised if the cider was still any good, I am still full of hope at this point, if it turns out to be 'questionable' I will of course offer it to the wife so it is not wasted, although she might be.
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
As long as it isn't vinegar it's still-able 

email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
Well I’ve vented all the gas (an amazing amount by simply depressing the black ring. I’ll need to get a lend of some adjustable wrench big enough now and I’ll be sorted
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
Stilsons or a filter wrench might work.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
I thought that vinegar was stillable.
Some of my best red vinegar is high %.
Just use it as a wash and not a still cleaner.
It may need some serious cuts
Robert.
Some of my best red vinegar is high %.
Just use it as a wash and not a still cleaner.
It may need some serious cuts
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
So to release the pressure you just poke the rubber seal with a screwdriver, then follow the video as posted, easy peasy, when you know how.

The free booze, now released was keenly sampled.
Cloudy, floaty bits and not as expected, I drank a pint (after filtering) to be sure but not an enjoyable drink so I'll add it to the next run.


The free booze, now released was keenly sampled.
Cloudy, floaty bits and not as expected, I drank a pint (after filtering) to be sure but not an enjoyable drink so I'll add it to the next run.

-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
Ive managed to get the spear out with the spring and all, but the bastardy bloody tri top will not unscrew, and I have the same stillsons as you.
Get the hot spanner on it tomorrow I reckon
Get the hot spanner on it tomorrow I reckon
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
I know whats going wrong, make sure your stilsons are only grabbing the tri top, the ferrule below is the same size in places so you can grab both, I have chewed my ferrule a little.
The tri top has very little resistance when you get it just right, it's just the pinch of the rubber seal.
The tri top has very little resistance when you get it just right, it's just the pinch of the rubber seal.
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
Rubber seal is out as is the spring and the spear .
I know what your saying though ill check that tomorrow when I’m less pissed
I know what your saying though ill check that tomorrow when I’m less pissed
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
Di you Watch the YouTube link above.
I don't think it needs mechanical force, there is a interlock inside on the spear. Has that released?
I don't think it needs mechanical force, there is a interlock inside on the spear. Has that released?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
The spear is out
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
There is no other locking mech on mine just screwed in with a rubber seal at the bottom, maybe the seal had failed on yours and it's just locked up due to something beery getting in the threads.
More heat and put a scaffold bar on the end of your stilsons, put another bar through the handle so the barrel wont spin on the floor.
If that fails I guess you should buy another barrel or have a new ferrule welded on the one you have, a bigger one.
More heat and put a scaffold bar on the end of your stilsons, put another bar through the handle so the barrel wont spin on the floor.
If that fails I guess you should buy another barrel or have a new ferrule welded on the one you have, a bigger one.
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
If the spear is out, the pressure is out. Cut it out.
Then weld on a 4" tri-clamp adaptor. Bingo.
Then weld on a 4" tri-clamp adaptor. Bingo.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
31 posts
• Page 2 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
