A good problem to have, hopefully

A place for general discussion

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Maker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:13 am

I'm still working up to the deed rather than 'dead'... I pointed it out of my workshop door, straddled it like a cowboy and gave it a fair whack with a blunt drift, a few times, no joy so far, bigger hammer is needed, I will report back when I have it open with a picture.
I spoke with a chap who worked in a pub and he said he would be suprised if the cider was still any good, I am still full of hope at this point, if it turns out to be 'questionable' I will of course offer it to the wife so it is not wasted, although she might be.
User avatar
Maker
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
Stills: KEG

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Mash » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:32 am

Not hard - here you go. Stop whacking it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XglWWvIe9js
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Mash » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:01 am

As long as it isn't vinegar it's still-able :)
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby H12rpo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:02 am

Well I’ve vented all the gas (an amazing amount by simply depressing the black ring. I’ll need to get a lend of some adjustable wrench big enough now and I’ll be sorted
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Mash » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:15 am

Stilsons or a filter wrench might work.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Easydrinker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:58 pm

I thought that vinegar was stillable.
Some of my best red vinegar is high %.
Just use it as a wash and not a still cleaner.
It may need some serious cuts ;)


Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Maker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:27 pm

So to release the pressure you just poke the rubber seal with a screwdriver, then follow the video as posted, easy peasy, when you know how.

Image

The free booze, now released was keenly sampled.
Cloudy, floaty bits and not as expected, I drank a pint (after filtering) to be sure but not an enjoyable drink so I'll add it to the next run.

Image
User avatar
Maker
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
Stills: KEG

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby H12rpo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:50 pm

Ive managed to get the spear out with the spring and all, but the bastardy bloody tri top will not unscrew, and I have the same stillsons as you.
Get the hot spanner on it tomorrow I reckon
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Maker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 am

I know whats going wrong, make sure your stilsons are only grabbing the tri top, the ferrule below is the same size in places so you can grab both, I have chewed my ferrule a little.
The tri top has very little resistance when you get it just right, it's just the pinch of the rubber seal.
User avatar
Maker
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
Stills: KEG

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby H12rpo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:11 am

Rubber seal is out as is the spring and the spear .
I know what your saying though ill check that tomorrow when I’m less pissed
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby H12rpo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Nope it ain’t moving. Had the heat on it today to..... I’ve really given it some stick with the stilsons. But nothing! It’s got me thinking there’s something else locking it ....weird
Image
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Mash » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:25 am

Di you Watch the YouTube link above.

I don't think it needs mechanical force, there is a interlock inside on the spear. Has that released?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby H12rpo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:25 pm

The spear is out
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Maker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:57 pm

There is no other locking mech on mine just screwed in with a rubber seal at the bottom, maybe the seal had failed on yours and it's just locked up due to something beery getting in the threads.

More heat and put a scaffold bar on the end of your stilsons, put another bar through the handle so the barrel wont spin on the floor.

If that fails I guess you should buy another barrel or have a new ferrule welded on the one you have, a bigger one.
User avatar
Maker
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
Stills: KEG

Re: A good problem to have, hopefully

Postby Mash » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:57 pm

If the spear is out, the pressure is out. Cut it out.

Then weld on a 4" tri-clamp adaptor. Bingo.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests