limoncello

A place for general discussion

limoncello

Postby stout » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:51 pm

i have made quarts of lovely limoncello using the recipes from here

yum yum big pigs bum


why does the lemoncello bla persist ?


it's feckin l"i"mon


oy


*relaxes under duress*
User avatar
stout
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: ireland

Re: limoncello

Postby chill » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:10 am

Try Arancello. It is made the same but with the peel of Navel oranges (or other fragrant oranges). My mate was over last week and spent the night cradling the bottle in his arms like an infant. It is pretty nice with Cocoa Nib Vodka as well. I am going to try some with bitter orange peel and brown sugar syrup to see if I can get near an Cointreau.

Chuck
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Re: limoncello

Postby stout » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:18 am

i just may have to give you a big hug , Chuck , for those ideas

*gets poked in the ribs and pushed forward*

and the wife thanks you too

8)
User avatar
stout
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: ireland

Re: limoncello

Postby metalmickey » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:02 am

On a similar note, why not try "Noccino" which is made from wet walnuts steeped in neutral, youd need to pick em in July so thyre big enough.

mm
User avatar
metalmickey
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: limoncello

Postby chill » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:29 pm

I have had Nocino in my mind, but I have no idea where I would find green walnuts around here.

Chuck
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Re: limoncello

Postby metalmickey » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:12 pm

theres a huge walnut tree round the corner from me, but too big to climb so ill have to get the big stick out with a rope tied to it.
User avatar
metalmickey
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: limoncello

Postby metalmickey » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:15 pm

or for that minty fresh breath try a creme de meths i mean menthe

http://www.grouprecipes.com/58403/homem ... queur.html
User avatar
metalmickey
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: limoncello

Postby chill » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:13 am

It has been a cool, wet spring here so I just happen to have an over abundance of mint. And neutral. Cheers!

Chuck
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Re: limoncello

Postby Phantom » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:25 am

Hum ? I keep forgetting to try these, but I wonder if a mix of lemon and lime, or rather than walnut, whether fresh almond would work, as the outlaws have a tree in their garden.....
User avatar
Phantom
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Land of Nod (South)
Stills: smart still and T500

Re: limoncello

Postby just sayin' » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:47 pm

Chill, did you ever find the green walnuts? Yesterday was St. John the Baptist day, the traditional date to harvest walnuts for Nocino in northern Italy or the evening before. I have wanted to try this for years, but this is the first time I remembered before the shells hardened.
Just Sayin'
User avatar
just sayin'
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Re: limoncello

Postby Mash » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:15 pm

I wasn't aware they needed to be green just fresh. Nocino is very nice. I will get the recipe from my Italian friends.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: limoncello

Postby just sayin' » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Nocino's flavor comes from immature walnuts harvested before the shells have hardened and while the nut "meat" is still jelly like. Nuts are quartered and macerated in 50-95 ABV spirits for forty days, lemon peel, orange and spices like wholes cloves, cinnamon sticks, whole nutmeg and allspice may also be used. After forty days the liquid is drain, filtered, sweetened with simple syrup and deluted to taste. Bottle and wait until at least Christmas, two or three years would be even better.
Just an outline. There are many, many recipes on line. I have been reading about Nocino for years, this year I remembered before the shells harden. I have newly picked green whole walnuts in the frig ready to cut...
User avatar
just sayin'
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Re: limoncello

Postby Easydrinker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:23 pm

That is neat, and precise, thanks for sharing.
May yours be as good as you would hope.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: limoncello

Postby packapoo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:35 am

Echo that, Robert.
I seldom take myself seriously....
User avatar
packapoo
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
Location: Marton, New Zealand
Stills: Amphora PDA-1

Re: limoncello

Postby Easydrinker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:00 am

No Walnuts growing anywhere near me, nor expected to be.
I can only spectate.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests