Red lentils gone black
7 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Red lentils gone black
Hi All
Started another wash last night with red lentils and this morning its bubbling away nicely but some of the lentils have gone black and there is some black krausen ?
cheers all , Danny
Started another wash last night with red lentils and this morning its bubbling away nicely but some of the lentils have gone black and there is some black krausen ?
cheers all , Danny
-

D4nny74 - Regular

- Posts: 26
- Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:40 pm
- Stills: T500
Re: Red lentils gone black
How does it smell?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Red lentils gone black
ok lol
-

D4nny74 - Regular

- Posts: 26
- Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:40 pm
- Stills: T500
Re: Red lentils gone black
Normally if a fermentation has gone wrong, they get a bad smell.
I would let it continue.
...Later addition: There is nothing to stop you skimming them off if the Krausen is lifting them up. Some beer makers fiddle about skimming all the time (unnecessarily IMO)
I would let it continue.
...Later addition: There is nothing to stop you skimming them off if the Krausen is lifting them up. Some beer makers fiddle about skimming all the time (unnecessarily IMO)
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Red lentils gone black
Philistine that I am,I quite often/usually bash the crusty stuff back down into the wash and give it a good stir.
And usually do this for the first two days.
It works for me,and by the end of day four,I usually rack it off.
Two days after that it is racked into the still.
Maybe mine would also have black bits if I allowed it to rest.
I'm not posting advice here,just my experiences.
Best of Luck.
Robert.
And usually do this for the first two days.
It works for me,and by the end of day four,I usually rack it off.
Two days after that it is racked into the still.
Maybe mine would also have black bits if I allowed it to rest.
I'm not posting advice here,just my experiences.
Best of Luck.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Red lentils gone black
LOL - it's not often that I am truly speechless.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Red lentils gone black
I am missing which bit of my methodology messes with Mashy's mind here.
Maybe it's just that "You've got me spinning around.."?
Long live Kylie.
Robert.
Maybe it's just that "You've got me spinning around.."?
Long live Kylie.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
7 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest