Still gasket / seal
9 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Still gasket / seal
Hi lads and lasses is it safe to use silicone sealant for your gasket/seal on your still lid
Many thanks Billmcc
Many thanks Billmcc
-

billmcc - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 358
- Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:36 pm
Re: Still gasket / seal
There is a very good one - Robert recommended it to me.
I am sure he will be along soon.
I am sure he will be along soon.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Still gasket / seal
Billmcc.
Found the thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3725&p=29007&hilit=braumeister+lid#p29007
Its HA6 sealant.
Found the thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3725&p=29007&hilit=braumeister+lid#p29007
Its HA6 sealant.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Still gasket / seal
Yup,
Although sold as an automotive gasket sealant, it is considered 100% safe for use in aquaria.
I downloaded and read its spec. sheet.
I extruded some into high % heads, and left it months.
I then started using it in stilling applications.
I am happy that there is no safer product of it's kind out there.
But if someone knows different, share it, I am happy to learn.
Robert.
Although sold as an automotive gasket sealant, it is considered 100% safe for use in aquaria.
I downloaded and read its spec. sheet.
I extruded some into high % heads, and left it months.
I then started using it in stilling applications.
I am happy that there is no safer product of it's kind out there.
But if someone knows different, share it, I am happy to learn.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Still gasket / seal
This is a bit of a pet subject of mine.
Is teflon safer than silicon? Yes.
Is silicon safer than drinking alcohol? Yes.
Is lead or asbestos safe in your still? No.
Is having several girlfriends with their phone numbers tattooed on your wife's ass safe? No, her ass is wrinkly and the numbers got smudged
Is teflon safer than silicon? Yes.
Is silicon safer than drinking alcohol? Yes.
Is lead or asbestos safe in your still? No.
Is having several girlfriends with their phone numbers tattooed on your wife's ass safe? No, her ass is wrinkly and the numbers got smudged
-

Curmudgeon - Master Distiller

- Posts: 521
- Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
- Stills: pot head
Re: Still gasket / seal
That did make me LOL, but I am unsure of the point?
Still very funny.
Thanks.
Robert.
Still very funny.
Thanks.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Still gasket / seal
I guess the point or lack of it is that in the last 100 years average life expectancy has doubled and while drinking and smoking are both bad for you, lead or plastic or whatever in our stills is a very small part of our life expectancy/lifestyle problems.
-

Curmudgeon - Master Distiller

- Posts: 521
- Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
- Stills: pot head
Re: Still gasket / seal
Many thanks
Cheers
Cheers
-

billmcc - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 358
- Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:36 pm
Re: Still gasket / seal
Curmudgeon wrote:I guess the point or lack of it is that in the last 100 years average life expectancy has doubled and while drinking and smoking are both bad for you, lead or plastic or whatever in our stills is a very small part of our life expectancy/lifestyle problems.
You have hit a very salient point on the head!
If I had my thinking head on, I could not have bettered that.
Our colleagues (?) on other stilling sites would no doubt put you up against a wall for saying so.
Have no fear, the sane of us will come riding to your rescue.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
9 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests