Converted back to SS

A place for general discussion

Converted back to SS

Postby Mickrick » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Well after trying to eschew any SS products after faffing about uneccesarily with carbon, filtering, and them expensive sachets..... i've found i'm converted back to them in part. I'm using the Pure Turbo yeast, seems to me to be everybit the same as VS. I just double distill. Then rather than boiling oak or even nuking it (i had no success doing that nuking), them esscences are the way foreward for me. That Caramel colouring is brilliant, and for me anyway i do drink with my eyes. I'm looking foreward to concocting my own recipies aside from their own Whiskey profiles.
And two random thoughts: [1] i've never actually tasted malt in a single malt. [2] if you could only make whiskeys one way then you wouldn't need a ream of legislation to ensure you only do it one way.
Gonna try a 48 hour turbo on next as i need to get a whizz on for xmas !!!!
:)
User avatar
Mickrick
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:00 pm
Location: NorthWest
Stills: AirStill

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Pyro » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 am

Sounds like you are starting to question things and experiment, that’s no bad thing. It’s part of the fun of distilling, and there are loads of recipes out there.

Have a look at “Air stones for airing spirits” on this site, will clean up your spirit and remove unwanted tastes.
User avatar
Pyro
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Galloway Hills Scotland
Stills: Twin Airstills,

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Mash » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:18 am

Have to ask why nuking failed?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Mickrick » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am

Mash wrote:Have to ask why nuking failed?

I found it a faff trying to get small amounts in glass containers. Also i was unsure just how hot to go being frightened of cracking the glass. I never got a deep colour at all from it. And i'd also question just oak in spirit being good enough as is.............
User avatar
Mickrick
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:00 pm
Location: NorthWest
Stills: AirStill

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Pyro » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:29 am

I use a 2Ltr food grade polythene measuring jug, no problem getting the wood chips in, and it will take the heat. I have a digital thermometer that I use to check the temperature; in my set up 6 Min in the micro will give me the high 60s, which is more than enough.

I then put the liquid in sealed Kilner jars to allow the spirit to get drawn into the wood by the vacuum as it cools down.

I use Jim Beam wood chips, gives colour no problem.

Repeat the process 3 times, it works for me.
Last edited by Pyro on Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pyro
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Galloway Hills Scotland
Stills: Twin Airstills,

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Mash » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:13 am

The trick is getting the right jar to fit in the microwave.

.....and some maple syrup (proper stuff) Aldi one is good.

I have to say the output is stunning. I have made to prefer it to proper Jack Daniels. If you do feel inclined to have another go shout up, we will get you through it. :D
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Easydrinker » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:40 pm

@ Mickrick , I am all for doing what suits your own taste.
I concurr that some essences are pretty good.
And I do use some.

The Whiskey Profile Kit?
There I have to disagree.
Back in my early days on this site I thought it the way to go, whiskey drinking friends told me to f off, and refused further free samples.
I now understand why.

I then produced better "Scotch" by nuking neutral.

These days I mash Barley as a starter.

Whatever floats your boat is fine by me.
Really I'm just trying to say, "keep it real" where you can, the end result is worth it.

I find that learning is something people need to want, you cannot hammer it into them. :)

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5206
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Mickrick » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Easydrinker wrote:@ Mickrick , I am all for doing what suits your own taste.

The Whiskey Profile Kit?
There I have to disagree.


You can't disagree with me as i havn't bought a whiskey profile kit and i'm not advocating anyone buying one.

Nowt wrong with a touch of vanilla esscence from the bakery isle in the supermarket... etc....
User avatar
Mickrick
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:00 pm
Location: NorthWest
Stills: AirStill

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Pyro » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:17 pm

Agree.
User avatar
Pyro
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Galloway Hills Scotland
Stills: Twin Airstills,

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Mickrick » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Pyro wrote:
I use Jim Beam wood chips, gives colour no problem.


Just roughly how many times can you use the JB Chips, you get one go or a few ? From boiling oak chips i can get two goes to get a bit of colour and oak essence. If they're dropped in alcohol after that then it appears its all gone/ spent however you want to term it.

I'm using the airstones too, between double distilling and using the air method production from the wash is of course down but it does make for a great product.

I've just bought a bottle of Glen Moray tonight to remind me what i'm after ! :)
User avatar
Mickrick
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:00 pm
Location: NorthWest
Stills: AirStill

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Pyro » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:23 am

I have never used maple syrup but will in future.
User avatar
Pyro
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Galloway Hills Scotland
Stills: Twin Airstills,

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Mash » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:56 am

I never boil oak and won't in the future.

Not sure why you would do this. The extraction will be completely different - most probably more floorboard and oak
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Pyro » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:05 pm

I once ordered up some ordinary whisky wood chips but they didn't smell of whisky, so they are still sitting on the shelf. I am quietly trying to get a contact at the Bladnoch for some wood from their used barrels, slowly slowly, I will get there.
User avatar
Pyro
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Location: Galloway Hills Scotland
Stills: Twin Airstills,

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Mickrick » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:16 pm

Mash wrote:
Not sure why you would do this. The extraction will be completely different - most probably more floorboard and oak


If i knew what i was doing then i wouldn't be on here posting. And neither would you.
User avatar
Mickrick
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:00 pm
Location: NorthWest
Stills: AirStill

Re: Converted back to SS

Postby Mickrick » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:20 pm

Pyro wrote:I once ordered up some ordinary whisky wood chips but they didn't smell of whisky, so they are still sitting on the shelf. I am quietly trying to get a contact at the Bladnoch for some wood from their used barrels, slowly slowly, I will get there.


Here's where i'm struggling with the concept. Liquor in wood gives a flavour and colour ? Then you're going to take that used wood and hope to impart exactly what to your liquor ? I'm assuming what was in the wood was imparted to the first batch in it ? You're just gonna get the dregs of whats in the wood , and thats enough ?
User avatar
Mickrick
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:00 pm
Location: NorthWest
Stills: AirStill

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest