cane sugar prices
11 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Re: cane sugar prices
Hyperama (Cash & carry) do T&L for about £12/ 25kg
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: cane sugar prices
59p at aldi today - eek. And not sure if cane.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: cane sugar prices
This was always going to happen once the crude oil price recovered.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: cane sugar prices
Get yer asses down to Morrisons.
A good friend staggered out with 12Kg in her basket for me last weekend at 88p a 2Kg bag.
Sure to be beet, but with Lidl sugar going from 39p/Kg to 59p/Kg in a few weeks I wll take what I can get.
Robert.
A good friend staggered out with 12Kg in her basket for me last weekend at 88p a 2Kg bag.
Sure to be beet, but with Lidl sugar going from 39p/Kg to 59p/Kg in a few weeks I wll take what I can get.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: cane sugar prices
I always think you can taste an earthy note.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: cane sugar prices
Mash wrote:I always think you can taste an earthy note.
Yup, that's my view - though it might be in my head from reading it somewhere
Either way, the nearest place who does the 25kg bags is never cheaper (it's an "ingredients supplier"). So I just do a quick run round the local lidl, Aldi, Tesco and Poundstretcher and get what I need from whoever is cheapest - for the last few purchases it's been Poundstretcher.........
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: cane sugar prices
needmorstuff wrote:that is a good price, but is that cane or beet?
I've only done 1 beet wash and it had an aniseed flavour when run through my t500.
Do you have carbon filter ? Cos I find generally that any spirit I'm not happy with gets smoothed out by putting it through my "Z" filter.
If you don't, I can likely email you a copy of Gert Strands ebook about Carbon Filtering (there's plans to make your own one, if I remember correctly)..........
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: cane sugar prices
needmorstuff wrote:I don't own a filter, I was under the impression that they were mainly a requirement of a turbo yeast wash...
I do detect earthy flavours in neutral of a lesser degree now I am getting more accustomed to making cuts. I have no issue with filtering if my end product is better though providing the cost isn't prohibitive.
To date I have done plenty of birdwatchers, just done a bran flakes wash (yet to taste and wont be doing it again unless it's amazing - what a mess!) and have just put on 3x25l of kale wash.
Good on yer chap. There's many "pearls of wisdom" hereabouts. Have a try of whatever is within your price range and you'll likely develop your own that works to your taste.
Between Birdwatchers, TPW and any other variations, there's likely one to suit........ Just happens that with me, I'm happy with cane sugar using vodka star and after the double distill, carbon filter (oh, and I use RO water to make the wash and to let it down to filtering/drinking strength)........
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: cane sugar prices
I carbon filter my lentil wash spirit.
I don't have to,it is OK, but I have the filter from my Turbo days, and it gives a final something,(or takes it away!)
Robert.
I don't have to,it is OK, but I have the filter from my Turbo days, and it gives a final something,(or takes it away!)
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: cane sugar prices
Some do, some don't filter.
I am the latter.
I didn't think there was enough difference.
I am the latter.
I didn't think there was enough difference.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: cane sugar prices
That's where i got to. Certainly once you are non-turbo and have a good natural recipe, with good cuts.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
11 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests