T500 first run

The distillation process itself

T500 first run

Postby H12rpo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Used my first kale wash which fermentied for 2.weeks and 2 days and was made with 4 kg of sugar . A bit disappointed that I only got just shy of 1.5 litres of distillate albeit that it's over 90 %

If I used 5 kings of sugar would I get a better yield ?
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: T500 first run

Postby H12rpo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:32 pm

I think I maybe should've left it another 4 or 5 days fermenting (but I couldn't wait

Ah well
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: T500 first run

Postby packapoo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:40 pm

There seems to be an element of doubt in your starting - finishing points, so maybe extra time would have yielded a little more potential.
Having said that what you achieved shouldn't be dissed.

Keep in mind Mash's (I think it was him) words of wisdom....1 kg sugar per 5 litres of wash.
Apologies to whoever if I got the wrong guy...
I seldom take myself seriously....
User avatar
packapoo
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
Location: Marton, New Zealand
Stills: Amphora PDA-1

Re: T500 first run

Postby Easydrinker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:51 pm

Around 5Kg of sugar to 25 litres of water seems to be the maxim used by regulars here.
Using more sugar may lead to strong tasting neutrals.
You got some result.
And you are just starting.
It can only get better.

Dilute what you have to sub 30% and do a spirit run.
Make some cuts and learn what you are doing.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly


Return to Distillation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests