re-distilling after cuts
12 posts
• Page 1 of 1
re-distilling after cuts
Something another member mentioned has me pondering.
Distillation does not create anything.
Most of us double distill and make cuts after the second distillation.
What (if any) are the advantages of distilling again after cuts have been made?
(this primarily applies to a pot still without bubblers/thumper etc, I assume?)
Distillation does not create anything.
Most of us double distill and make cuts after the second distillation.
What (if any) are the advantages of distilling again after cuts have been made?
(this primarily applies to a pot still without bubblers/thumper etc, I assume?)
-

Curmudgeon - Master Distiller

- Posts: 521
- Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
- Stills: pot head
Re: re-distilling after cuts
If you screw your cuts up you could redistil again, also I guess if you wanted to increase the ABV or wasn't happy with the cleaness of the hearts cut from a pot still you could also run it again.
- Anavrin
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 1468
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
- Location: By the Sea
- Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash
Re: re-distilling after cuts
IMHO, if you make good cuts after a second distillation, you will gain nothing from a further distillation, if chasing a neutral spirit.
I think Anavrin said the same thing using different words.
Robert.
I think Anavrin said the same thing using different words.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: re-distilling after cuts
Thanks. This concurs with my own thoughts. Just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything.
-

Curmudgeon - Master Distiller

- Posts: 521
- Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
- Stills: pot head
Re: re-distilling after cuts
I once had a cunning plan that I would make more neutral than I needed, and after each new batch, keep all my leftover good drinking Neutral from my last batch and save it up in a cornie keg, then once it was full I was going to run it though my reflux still again, make cuts again and filter it again, to make a super pure premium version.
Unfortunately such a surplus has never existed, maybe one day.
Unfortunately such a surplus has never existed, maybe one day.
- Anavrin
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 1468
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
- Location: By the Sea
- Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash
Re: re-distilling after cuts
You cannae improve upon perfection laddie!
Robert.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: re-distilling after cuts
I kinda found an odd answer to this after I posted.
Navy rum used to be made in wooden stills (really!) and bacardi is oaked after distillation then filtered at least, so there's a lot of room for re-pot distilling rums later in their development.
Navy rum used to be made in wooden stills (really!) and bacardi is oaked after distillation then filtered at least, so there's a lot of room for re-pot distilling rums later in their development.
-

Curmudgeon - Master Distiller

- Posts: 521
- Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
- Stills: pot head
Re: re-distilling after cuts
Not so sure on the last 14 words here, not disputing the comments before them.
Robert.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: re-distilling after cuts
I really don't know.
Navy rum was 57%+? and produced in wooden stills?
Bacardi is a rum that is matured and then filtered back to clear/white (and most of us can replicate to a degree without long aging)
Navy rum was 57%+? and produced in wooden stills?
Bacardi is a rum that is matured and then filtered back to clear/white (and most of us can replicate to a degree without long aging)
-

Curmudgeon - Master Distiller

- Posts: 521
- Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
- Stills: pot head
Re: re-distilling after cuts
It was your comment about re-pot distilling is where I was coming from.
Not disputing what came before.
Robert.
Not disputing what came before.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: re-distilling after cuts
I started the topic full of cynical scepticism, but am now thinking about it as a layer of blending, especially after microwave oven type acceleration of traditional processes.
-

Curmudgeon - Master Distiller

- Posts: 521
- Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 pm
- Stills: pot head
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
12 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
