Phantom
2 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Phantom
Not yet, I\'ve just finished soldering the column extension this lunchtime and have just uploaded the photos to flickr and was going to post about it.
The only use I\'ve had for the raschig rings so far, is in the bottom of my smartstill, because I\'ve been running some wines and meads I\'ve made but didn\'t like the taste of, so I\'ve been chucking a hand full, and a capful of distillers conditioner in with the batch that\'s being run.
Damn it seems to work well, when it\'s up to temp and running, I can hear the larger bubbles rattling the rings in the bottom of the still and it hasn\'t \"burped\" or over boiled once, despite a fair amount of sediment thats dropped out of the wines/meads as they\'ve been ageing.
In fact, my 34ltr carboy is nearly full of my \"mixed fruit brandy\" now, and as I\'ve still got a few gallons to run, I might just transfer it into one of the 54ltr carboys I got from ebay.
I\'ll post about the column extension and when I get time to fire it up I\'ll post again about how I get on - the column extension has been filled with copper mesh and I\'ll be running the still with the raschig rings in the main condenser......
The only use I\'ve had for the raschig rings so far, is in the bottom of my smartstill, because I\'ve been running some wines and meads I\'ve made but didn\'t like the taste of, so I\'ve been chucking a hand full, and a capful of distillers conditioner in with the batch that\'s being run.
Damn it seems to work well, when it\'s up to temp and running, I can hear the larger bubbles rattling the rings in the bottom of the still and it hasn\'t \"burped\" or over boiled once, despite a fair amount of sediment thats dropped out of the wines/meads as they\'ve been ageing.
In fact, my 34ltr carboy is nearly full of my \"mixed fruit brandy\" now, and as I\'ve still got a few gallons to run, I might just transfer it into one of the 54ltr carboys I got from ebay.
I\'ll post about the column extension and when I get time to fire it up I\'ll post again about how I get on - the column extension has been filled with copper mesh and I\'ll be running the still with the raschig rings in the main condenser......
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
2 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
