A good problem to have, hopefully
31 posts
• Page 1 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
A good problem to have, hopefully
I picked up a couple of fermenting barrels today, nice and cheap off facebook, turned up at the chaps house and was offered another for free as it was in his way, quite happy at this point, he asked what I was brewing so I said whiskey to see what his reaction would be, instead of looking puzzled he said he had a keg in the garden that would make a good boiler, did I want it?
Slightly took a back I said I would have a look, he had a rummage and returned with a 50L cider barrel in stainless, handed it to me and I said thats heavy, he replied it still has cider in it, I thanked him and drove away giggling. I have compared it with an empty keg and I think there is a couple of gallons still inside, I don't wish to buy a tap to fit it but I want whats inside, is there a way to get it out?

Slightly took a back I said I would have a look, he had a rummage and returned with a 50L cider barrel in stainless, handed it to me and I said thats heavy, he replied it still has cider in it, I thanked him and drove away giggling. I have compared it with an empty keg and I think there is a couple of gallons still inside, I don't wish to buy a tap to fit it but I want whats inside, is there a way to get it out?
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
What is inside it may be really bad if it has been half empty for a long time.
Either way you need to release the pressure before you do anything with it. Put it on its side and sit on it. Point it away from you and use something blunt and a hammer to tap the centre disk. Be prepared for a lot of mess. Keep bumping that centre until all the pressure has gone and then you can think about removing the Sanke G type fitting.
Either way you need to release the pressure before you do anything with it. Put it on its side and sit on it. Point it away from you and use something blunt and a hammer to tap the centre disk. Be prepared for a lot of mess. Keep bumping that centre until all the pressure has gone and then you can think about removing the Sanke G type fitting.
-

Myles - Master Distiller

- Posts: 692
- Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
There are videos on you tube...be very careful.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
-

Icefever - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 2407
- Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
- Location: Kingdom of Mercia
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
Icefever wrote:There are videos on you tube...be very careful.
+1 on that. You don`t want any pressure in there when you try to take out the spear.
-

Myles - Master Distiller

- Posts: 692
- Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
The first keg that I broke into with a hammer, maybe 30 years ago, shot its clever bits about 20 feet into the air.
Take care.
Robert.
Take care.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
Great score, Marker! You had a great day!
-

just sayin' - Regular

- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:18 pm
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
I found a large economy sized crow bar worked wonders
Very quick, spear succumbed immediately, no risk
Very quick, spear succumbed immediately, no risk

I seldom take myself seriously....
-

packapoo - Master Distiller

- Posts: 690
- Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
- Location: Marton, New Zealand
- Stills: Amphora PDA-1
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
My keg has turned up and has exactly the same fitting........how the f did you get it off Maker?
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
Maker has been absent from this thread for a few days.
I hope that he didn't blow his head off using a hammer or crowbar.
Robert.
I hope that he didn't blow his head off using a hammer or crowbar.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
He hasn’t joined the ranks of those thatve pi$$ed off the porridge gobbler has he???


-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
Anyone else with any advice on this specific keg fitting then please ?
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
Which one have you got ?
There are spanners for these, but there are a couple of different types.
There are spanners for these, but there are a couple of different types.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
Exactly the same as the op with 3 flat sides
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
Its a G-type. Not hard - here you go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XglWWvIe9js
make sure the pressure is out before you start AND do it outside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XglWWvIe9js
make sure the pressure is out before you start AND do it outside.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: A good problem to have, hopefully
Ta very much......looks easy enough.
As an aside. I’m intending a build which will have a column which I can change bits of in a modular approach, so for eg a packed section which by undoing a few clamps can be swapped out for a straight through pipe for whisky and maybe a head which includes a reflux coil which again could be swapped out for a plain pot head top/lyne arm.
Anyone done this ? Or is there a link I can go to for different still designs
As an aside. I’m intending a build which will have a column which I can change bits of in a modular approach, so for eg a packed section which by undoing a few clamps can be swapped out for a straight through pipe for whisky and maybe a head which includes a reflux coil which again could be swapped out for a plain pot head top/lyne arm.
Anyone done this ? Or is there a link I can go to for different still designs
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
31 posts
• Page 1 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest