Pressure reducing valve.
7 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Pressure reducing valve.
I have a PRV on my setup. Yes it reduces the pressure but I thought it would maintain the reduced pressure when other outlets are used in the house. It doesn't.
Is it meant to do this or not?
Regards, Marc.
Is it meant to do this or not?
Regards, Marc.
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: Pressure reducing valve.
No it won't. Pressure and flow rate are two different things. It has no buffering capacity.
This is the reason people go on to use a tank and a pump. Ice did something with a standard 'gate valve' <search that.
This is the reason people go on to use a tank and a pump. Ice did something with a standard 'gate valve' <search that.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Pressure reducing valve.
Some people live in places where so much water is used that mains pressure is very high, and turning on a second (mains) tap will not affect flow rate from the first, think inner city.
There a PRV may be all that you need.
Some people live in locations where flushing the toilet burns/freezes the person in the electric shower.
I am one of those.
Until I get my lazy/busy ass sorted, and work out a pumped recirculation system with the large pond just outside, I am sticking with air cooling.
That way I just have to worry about the slowly changing seasons and Global warming
Robert.
There a PRV may be all that you need.
Some people live in locations where flushing the toilet burns/freezes the person in the electric shower.
I am one of those.
Until I get my lazy/busy ass sorted, and work out a pumped recirculation system with the large pond just outside, I am sticking with air cooling.
That way I just have to worry about the slowly changing seasons and Global warming
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Pressure reducing valve.
Very good, case closed.
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: Pressure reducing valve.
Not necessarily, some of us have flow/pressure issues because of amateurish plumbing.
Water should, in theory, be supplied to the top of a building (normalish house in this example) in 22mm pipe, so that only spurs off that are in 15mm pipe.
That way, it should (again, in theory) be less vulnerable to mains pressure fluctuation. So "normal" kit, like combi boilers, power showers, etc don't cause a fluctuation when turned on.
Older set ups, that include loft level water tanks also help.
Pumped set ups help because if it's just condenser cooling, it's much easier to make use of recycled rain where the property is on a water meter. It's what I'm trying to motivate myself to set up for my T500.
Something in my head suggests about using a caravan stabilising valve helps when mains pressure fluctuation occurs and you can see temperature swings on any measuring/monitoring kit you may use (when I had unlimited/unmetered water, the mains supply direct to the T500 did work ok, but even the smallest movements of the control valve would create wide temp swings of up to 5C)........
Water should, in theory, be supplied to the top of a building (normalish house in this example) in 22mm pipe, so that only spurs off that are in 15mm pipe.
That way, it should (again, in theory) be less vulnerable to mains pressure fluctuation. So "normal" kit, like combi boilers, power showers, etc don't cause a fluctuation when turned on.
Older set ups, that include loft level water tanks also help.
Pumped set ups help because if it's just condenser cooling, it's much easier to make use of recycled rain where the property is on a water meter. It's what I'm trying to motivate myself to set up for my T500.
Something in my head suggests about using a caravan stabilising valve helps when mains pressure fluctuation occurs and you can see temperature swings on any measuring/monitoring kit you may use (when I had unlimited/unmetered water, the mains supply direct to the T500 did work ok, but even the smallest movements of the control valve would create wide temp swings of up to 5C)........
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: Pressure reducing valve.
tried the PRV couldn't get used to it then bought a water flow regulator. Problem sorted
-

Jaggie - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 110
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:07 pm
- Location: Northumberland
- Stills: T500
Re: Pressure reducing valve.
Ta da. Great news.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
7 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Easydrinker and 0 guests