limoncello
31 posts
• Page 2 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
Re: limoncello
I've recently moved house and one of the neighbours has a huge Walnut tree in their garden. This overhangs into my garden (blocking out a lot of sun). May as well make use and see if I can get enough fruit to soak in a bottle of neutral.
Not sure how I'll get anything down. May have to throw the cat up there or something.....
Not sure how I'll get anything down. May have to throw the cat up there or something.....
-

PieOPah - Regular

- Posts: 87
- Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:03 pm
Re: limoncello
"THIS RESPONSE IS SPONSORED BY THE CATS PROTECTION LEAGUE"
Don't forget that UK law allows you to cut trees and branches that overhang your property boundary.
In theory you then have to offer the cut portions back to the owner of said overhanging thing.
If the tree is huge, they prolly won't want it.
You may even find a use for the Walnut wood?
Robert.
PieOPah wrote:I've recently moved house and one of the neighbours has a huge Walnut tree in their garden. This overhangs into my garden (blocking out a lot of sun). May as well make use and see if I can get enough fruit to soak in a bottle of neutral.
Not sure how I'll get anything down. May have to throw the cat up there or something.....
Don't forget that UK law allows you to cut trees and branches that overhang your property boundary.
In theory you then have to offer the cut portions back to the owner of said overhanging thing.
If the tree is huge, they prolly won't want it.
You may even find a use for the Walnut wood?
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: limoncello
I've considered getting it cut back, but my main worry is that if I cut back everything over my property, it will kill the tree - I don't want to do that!
This is my first year, so will see how bad it is and consider things from there.
And if this drink is nice enough then I may put up with the tree :-)
This is my first year, so will see how bad it is and consider things from there.
And if this drink is nice enough then I may put up with the tree :-)
-

PieOPah - Regular

- Posts: 87
- Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:03 pm
Re: limoncello
Here's hoping the tree produces some good product then.
If it doesn't, falling out with the neighbours may not matter.
Robert.
If it doesn't, falling out with the neighbours may not matter.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: limoncello
Reporting back, I had a wee taste of my one year old Nocino today. Well worth the effort, very interesting dram! I have a couple of liters started this week and did a little additional harvesting today. I hope to be able to harvest enough green walnuts this year to make at least ten liters. I will make more if I can before the shells harden within the husks. My goal is to put enough back to allow it to age for several years.
Now is the limited window to harvest some nuts! I missed it year after year...Just Sayin''
Now is the limited window to harvest some nuts! I missed it year after year...Just Sayin''
Last edited by just sayin' on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
-

just sayin' - Regular

- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:18 pm
Re: limoncello
There was a post on FB yesterday/day before about a quicker way of producing limoncello.
Apparently, if you zest the amount of lemons and mix with the right quantity of alcohol, place it in a sealed bag (ziplock or similar), then put it in a Sous Vide boiler at 165F for a couple out hours, the result is for a pretty good infusion that can be sweetened as desired.
Seems that process speeds up the extraction of the flavour and colour elements considerably. Obviously, it seems some experimentation must have been done as the author of the post mentioned about zest only, no pith (like when using citrus in booze making) so there's no bitter notes picked up in the infusion/extraction).
Let's just say, that the person who posted this suggested method DOES know his way around normal booze making......... No names, no pack drill
Apparently, if you zest the amount of lemons and mix with the right quantity of alcohol, place it in a sealed bag (ziplock or similar), then put it in a Sous Vide boiler at 165F for a couple out hours, the result is for a pretty good infusion that can be sweetened as desired.
Seems that process speeds up the extraction of the flavour and colour elements considerably. Obviously, it seems some experimentation must have been done as the author of the post mentioned about zest only, no pith (like when using citrus in booze making) so there's no bitter notes picked up in the infusion/extraction).
Let's just say, that the person who posted this suggested method DOES know his way around normal booze making......... No names, no pack drill

-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: limoncello
Oooo. Was there any quantities or ratios.
I can my BM as a sous vide.
I can my BM as a sous vide.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: limoncello
Mash wrote:Oooo. Was there any quantities or ratios.
I can my BM as a sous vide.
Dunno, will have a look later and post any detail I can find.....
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: limoncello
ta.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: limoncello
Mash wrote:ta.
This is what was posted..........
Zest ten lemons, put 'em in a sous vide bag with a litre of vodka. Two hours at 135. Pull out and cool.
Simple syrup to taste. Ready to drink immediately.
-

Phantom - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1460
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:31 pm
- Location: Land of Nod (South)
- Stills: smart still and T500
Re: limoncello
That'll do nicely. Thank you.
When you think about it that's a very good idea which could be applied to a few things.
Been musing over an ultrasonic heater cleaner for fruit extraction in gin. I might try sous vide gin first. Should be different to boiling bots or sputnik.
SVJD anyone?
When you think about it that's a very good idea which could be applied to a few things.
Been musing over an ultrasonic heater cleaner for fruit extraction in gin. I might try sous vide gin first. Should be different to boiling bots or sputnik.
SVJD anyone?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: limoncello
What kind of plastic are sous vide bags made from?
Hot vodka and plastic sound like a recipe for leaching from plastic to me...
Robert.
Hot vodka and plastic sound like a recipe for leaching from plastic to me...
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: limoncello
Good grade vaccy bags. But good point.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: limoncello
You can easily bypass the plastics concern by popping your lemons and vodka in a jar.
-

just sayin' - Regular

- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:18 pm
Re: limoncello
Sous Vide.
Don't ask my opinion.
I may use expletives.
Blummen Twat.
Robert.
Don't ask my opinion.
I may use expletives.
Blummen Twat.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
31 posts
• Page 2 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests