First run

The distillation process itself

First run

Postby Maker » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:20 am

Just finished my first run with the home made still so I'd like some input if I'm way off the mark or not.

Wash was 25L turdbo48, started at 1.110 and finished at 0.985

After settling and waste there was 4.5 gallons of clearish wash added to the still, heated up to over 60c and dripping started so turned on the condensor, started collecting as the temp rises and got about 150ml of nasty tasting solvent that measured 85%, balenced the still at about 82C and started collecting 75% that tasted yeasty but not nasty, kept collecting until 95C (42%) and stopped.
I have 4 litres of 60%.

Does this sound anywhere near I shoud be?
I'm guessing the yeasty smell is the turdbo yeast.
User avatar
Maker
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
Stills: KEG

Re: First run

Postby RumJohn » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:54 am

@Maker. It is Xmas eve and i am responding to your post. Not sure what that says about me.

When you run a wash, you should be able to calculate what you will finish with at the end of the ferment, end of stripping run and end of spirit run. Do the math all the way trough. You will kmow where you are and where you should be.

Your wash was at the extremes. I assume the numbers are accurate.

Not turning on the condenser cooling until you have steam coming out is a good way to blow things up. At least when you use gas as a heat source.

Hope it helps a bit.

Cheers.
User avatar
RumJohn
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 am
Location: Sanya, China
Stills: Homegrown

Re: First run

Postby Icefever » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:25 am

Maker wrote:Just finished my first run with the home made still so I'd like some input if I'm way off the mark or not.

You say home made?..do you have a photo??..have you built a T 500 clone? this will help the guys to see if you have the still setup ok.


I'm guessing the yeasty smell is the turbo yeast.


It stands a good chance, I'm not a great lover of turbo...it's too easy to stress yeast..maybe hense the smell.

Stay safe with those vapours like RJ said it's a BIG NO-NO
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
User avatar
Icefever
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Kingdom of Mercia

Re: First run

Postby Mash » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:15 am

4 litres is about right. But that might be les when you clean it up.
Let it air before tasting and making decisions.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: First run

Postby Maker » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Rum John, I'm glad you answered, may have averted a big bang, I have now extended the output further from the gas and the condensor now goes on at the start.

Icefever, if you check the start of this post there is a picture, it's not a clone of anything it's just what I had available in my workshop.

Mash, thanks for confirming, everything is more difficult the first go round!

Have started the spirit run tonight but had to cut it short as apparently I should be with my family and not buggering about in my workshop on crimo eve..
The yeasty smell has pretty much gone now and the first 100mm that smelt alright and tasted good was after 400mm, seems a lot to waste so I have left it to air tonight, the rest was good and I got 1.5L before turning it off that measured 85%.
I made some gin with the first bit from a top shelf flavour, I'm not a gin drinker but her indoors is, compared it to tesco gin and mine was as good, I thought it was smoother!

I'm sure it's not the done thing to turn off a still half way through but I had little choice, will it just carry on from where I left off with no problems?
User avatar
Maker
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
Stills: KEG

Re: First run

Postby H12rpo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:42 pm

Yes you can carry on where you left off.

There’s no pictur3 that I can see????

Happy Xmas
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: First run

Postby Easydrinker » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:48 pm

+1 on both of the above points.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: First run

Postby Maker » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:52 pm

Brilliant

The pictures are in another post, my mistake.
New one attached, the wires are to thermo couples and the temperatures are all on screen, I can monitor the top of the column, the water bath and the output to be collected.
Image
User avatar
Maker
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
Stills: KEG

Re: First run

Postby Easydrinker » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Nice pic,
I'll save comment on the still, water cooling not being something I do.
That lathe in the background caught my eye though!

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: First run

Postby Maker » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:12 pm

I have hugely changed opinion on cooling, I now realise that trying to keep a stable temp on a waterbath is pretty much futile, it's ok for a stripping run I guess but for spirit run it is difficult, each time I topped up the bath the temp at the top of the column dropped so you adjust the gas to compensate but that just warms the bath up quicker... tap it is from now on, lesson learned.

Got the lathe years ago off fleabay for only 400 quid, one of my better buys, theres a bridgeport mill to the left out of shot, I like making things!
User avatar
Maker
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
Stills: KEG

Re: First run

Postby H12rpo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:11 pm

Bloody hell, that’s a massive lathe for 400 squid
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: First run

Postby Icefever » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:13 am

I thought I was losing the plot when I didn't see any photo, now I can....that's a workshop & half.
You say you made the still from what you had lying around, but where did the boiler come from???.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
User avatar
Icefever
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Kingdom of Mercia

Re: First run

Postby packapoo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Nice looking boat anchor on the bench at the back too ;D
I seldom take myself seriously....
User avatar
packapoo
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
Location: Marton, New Zealand
Stills: Amphora PDA-1

Re: First run

Postby Easydrinker » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:28 pm

With My Little Eye I spy Something Beginning With ##### :D

You just earned massive engineering respect.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: First run

Postby Maker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:09 am

Icefever - I got the keg from a rubbish dump many years ago and had it kicking around since as I figured it would be good for a still. I have googled it and it looks like it's a soda keg 'firestone steel products co' 'Model challenger V1'.
User avatar
Maker
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
Stills: KEG


Return to Distillation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests