I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.

A place for general discussion

I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.

Postby optic » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:09 am

That is what i have started doing now umpa,i set the timer to start 2 1/2 hours before i get home from work,just hope it dont blow its top while its left unattended,that way i can get two runs in quite easily in the evening.When i do pre heat the wash in the electric kettle it only takes a couple of minutes to warm up to 60.
I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me-Winston Churchill
User avatar
optic
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:37 am
Location: grotty old GB
Stills: Super Reflux

I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.

Postby umpa » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:55 pm

I put a cap of conditioner in just to make sure. - I have to be honest tho and say I am using my Reflux more than my smart, its just that I dont have to use it as often.
User avatar
umpa
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:33 pm
Location: Planet Earth

I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.

Postby HangOver » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:28 pm

apart from one time when i first got my air still i never had it pop the top.

BUT i leave the wash to ferment 1 week at least and left to clear again at LEAST 1 week but usually 2 and sometimes more if im busy.

Before distilation i half fill a 10L container and shake the hell out of it, crack the top to let out any gas then do it one or more times.

Its suprising the first time you shake it how much POP you get when taking the lid off after its shaken.

Anyhow thats what i do no conditioner.

I also put two good quality stainless steel forks, (bent at odd angles) in the still.

Then turn it on! :)
User avatar
HangOver
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:03 am

I think I have stopped the still blowing its top.

Postby optic » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:54 pm

I have not had a boil over yet,now i have done quite a few runs im not in such a rush to get it done im the same hangover it gets about 10 to 14 days fermenting and another week or so clearing and i rack it of once and it gets a bloody good shake up before it goes in the still,it certainly makes a difference from the first few i done fermenting 7 days 1 day clearing then running,those ones you could notice the still was a lot more noisy,it seemed to be working harder to do the run.
I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me-Winston Churchill
User avatar
optic
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:37 am
Location: grotty old GB
Stills: Super Reflux

Previous

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Easydrinker and 1 guest

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: Easydrinker and 1 guest