Cost per bottle?
7 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Cost per bottle?
I wish to introduce myself as a newbie to this site.
I\'m thinking of getting a still for xmas and I was wondering roughly how much per 75cl bottle of 40%ish alcohol would cost to produce?
I love making red wine and i\'ve been looking for something else to try and I think this would be the perfect next step.
I appologise if this has been asked before, but I\'ve not found it on the site yet!
Thanks for any replies.
I\'m thinking of getting a still for xmas and I was wondering roughly how much per 75cl bottle of 40%ish alcohol would cost to produce?
I love making red wine and i\'ve been looking for something else to try and I think this would be the perfect next step.
I appologise if this has been asked before, but I\'ve not found it on the site yet!
Thanks for any replies.
-

v4mpy - Regular

- Posts: 64
- Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:02 am
- Stills: T500 & Airstill
Cost per bottle?
Depends on the wash you use, whether you use clearing agents, carbon in the wash, etc.
As a rough guide, I get about 4 - 5 litres of good stuff from 5 bags of sugar, a tin of tomato paste, bit of lemon juice and half a tin of bakers yeast - total cost about four quid.
As a rough guide, I get about 4 - 5 litres of good stuff from 5 bags of sugar, a tin of tomato paste, bit of lemon juice and half a tin of bakers yeast - total cost about four quid.
-

Jimmy - Site Owner

- Posts: 736
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:18 pm
- Location: People's Republic of West Yorkshire
- Stills: T500
Cost per bottle?
Thanks for the prompt reply Jimmy.
Using the Easystill how much wash is needed to make a 75cl bottle at about 40%?
Using the Easystill how much wash is needed to make a 75cl bottle at about 40%?
-

v4mpy - Regular

- Posts: 64
- Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:02 am
- Stills: T500 & Airstill
Cost per bottle?
Hi v4mpy
At the moment using my pot still i am throwing the first 20ml from the spout and getting 800ml at 60% from using 4 litres of wash this is then cut with 400ml of water to make 1200ml of 40% ready for filtering and flavouring.I usually get 5 still fills from a wash.I am using the still spirits yeast etc.Others on here will advise you on different washes yeasts etc which will possibly give you a higher yield but i too am a relative newbie but have got the bug and am at the stage where i am ready to improve/experiment with different methods etc.
Good luck with your brews
trelliS
At the moment using my pot still i am throwing the first 20ml from the spout and getting 800ml at 60% from using 4 litres of wash this is then cut with 400ml of water to make 1200ml of 40% ready for filtering and flavouring.I usually get 5 still fills from a wash.I am using the still spirits yeast etc.Others on here will advise you on different washes yeasts etc which will possibly give you a higher yield but i too am a relative newbie but have got the bug and am at the stage where i am ready to improve/experiment with different methods etc.
Good luck with your brews
trelliS
-

trelliS - Regular

- Posts: 76
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:39 pm
- Location: Leeds
- Stills: Air still and T500
Cost per bottle?
trelliS
next time you do a run try collecting the usual 800ml @ 60ish% carry on collecting in another jug you should get another 500ml around the 30% mark put this in a DJ,then do the same on the rest of your runs then put what you have got at 30% through collecting until it drops bellow 60%,then if you like call it a day or better still cut all you have got back to 40% and run it again you will get a couple of litres at 80-82% per run its well worth the effort as you end up with a far more pure alcohol.
cheers
Optic
next time you do a run try collecting the usual 800ml @ 60ish% carry on collecting in another jug you should get another 500ml around the 30% mark put this in a DJ,then do the same on the rest of your runs then put what you have got at 30% through collecting until it drops bellow 60%,then if you like call it a day or better still cut all you have got back to 40% and run it again you will get a couple of litres at 80-82% per run its well worth the effort as you end up with a far more pure alcohol.
cheers
Optic
I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me-Winston Churchill
-

optic - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 356
- Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:37 am
- Location: grotty old GB
- Stills: Super Reflux
Cost per bottle?
Hi optic
Many thanks for the advise seems im using the good bits but throwing the better bits.Am just a little puzzled because it says to put four litres in the pot still and 5x500ml is 2 1/2 litres is this to be retained until i do my next wash until i get the full 4 litres.
Cheers trelliS
Many thanks for the advise seems im using the good bits but throwing the better bits.Am just a little puzzled because it says to put four litres in the pot still and 5x500ml is 2 1/2 litres is this to be retained until i do my next wash until i get the full 4 litres.
Cheers trelliS
-

trelliS - Regular

- Posts: 76
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:39 pm
- Location: Leeds
- Stills: Air still and T500
Cost per bottle?
Many thanks for the advise seems im using the good bits but throwing the better bits.Am just a little puzzled because it says to put four litres in the pot still and 5x500ml is 2 1/2 litres is this to be retained until i do my next wash until i get the full 4 litres.
Cheers trelliS
its up to you,you can just run the 2 1/2 ltrs if you want or just keep saving it till you have 4ltrs
cheers optic
Cheers trelliS
its up to you,you can just run the 2 1/2 ltrs if you want or just keep saving it till you have 4ltrs
cheers optic
I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me-Winston Churchill
-

optic - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 356
- Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:37 am
- Location: grotty old GB
- Stills: Super Reflux
7 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest