First run
15 posts
• Page 1 of 1
First run
Just finished my first run with the home made still so I'd like some input if I'm way off the mark or not.
Wash was 25L turdbo48, started at 1.110 and finished at 0.985
After settling and waste there was 4.5 gallons of clearish wash added to the still, heated up to over 60c and dripping started so turned on the condensor, started collecting as the temp rises and got about 150ml of nasty tasting solvent that measured 85%, balenced the still at about 82C and started collecting 75% that tasted yeasty but not nasty, kept collecting until 95C (42%) and stopped.
I have 4 litres of 60%.
Does this sound anywhere near I shoud be?
I'm guessing the yeasty smell is the turdbo yeast.
Wash was 25L turdbo48, started at 1.110 and finished at 0.985
After settling and waste there was 4.5 gallons of clearish wash added to the still, heated up to over 60c and dripping started so turned on the condensor, started collecting as the temp rises and got about 150ml of nasty tasting solvent that measured 85%, balenced the still at about 82C and started collecting 75% that tasted yeasty but not nasty, kept collecting until 95C (42%) and stopped.
I have 4 litres of 60%.
Does this sound anywhere near I shoud be?
I'm guessing the yeasty smell is the turdbo yeast.
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
Re: First run
@Maker. It is Xmas eve and i am responding to your post. Not sure what that says about me.
When you run a wash, you should be able to calculate what you will finish with at the end of the ferment, end of stripping run and end of spirit run. Do the math all the way trough. You will kmow where you are and where you should be.
Your wash was at the extremes. I assume the numbers are accurate.
Not turning on the condenser cooling until you have steam coming out is a good way to blow things up. At least when you use gas as a heat source.
Hope it helps a bit.
Cheers.
When you run a wash, you should be able to calculate what you will finish with at the end of the ferment, end of stripping run and end of spirit run. Do the math all the way trough. You will kmow where you are and where you should be.
Your wash was at the extremes. I assume the numbers are accurate.
Not turning on the condenser cooling until you have steam coming out is a good way to blow things up. At least when you use gas as a heat source.
Hope it helps a bit.
Cheers.
-

RumJohn - Master Distiller

- Posts: 606
- Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 am
- Location: Sanya, China
- Stills: Homegrown
Re: First run
Maker wrote:Just finished my first run with the home made still so I'd like some input if I'm way off the mark or not.
You say home made?..do you have a photo??..have you built a T 500 clone? this will help the guys to see if you have the still setup ok.
I'm guessing the yeasty smell is the turbo yeast.
It stands a good chance, I'm not a great lover of turbo...it's too easy to stress yeast..maybe hense the smell.
Stay safe with those vapours like RJ said it's a BIG NO-NO
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
-

Icefever - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 2407
- Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
- Location: Kingdom of Mercia
Re: First run
4 litres is about right. But that might be les when you clean it up.
Let it air before tasting and making decisions.
Let it air before tasting and making decisions.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: First run
Rum John, I'm glad you answered, may have averted a big bang, I have now extended the output further from the gas and the condensor now goes on at the start.
Icefever, if you check the start of this post there is a picture, it's not a clone of anything it's just what I had available in my workshop.
Mash, thanks for confirming, everything is more difficult the first go round!
Have started the spirit run tonight but had to cut it short as apparently I should be with my family and not buggering about in my workshop on crimo eve..
The yeasty smell has pretty much gone now and the first 100mm that smelt alright and tasted good was after 400mm, seems a lot to waste so I have left it to air tonight, the rest was good and I got 1.5L before turning it off that measured 85%.
I made some gin with the first bit from a top shelf flavour, I'm not a gin drinker but her indoors is, compared it to tesco gin and mine was as good, I thought it was smoother!
I'm sure it's not the done thing to turn off a still half way through but I had little choice, will it just carry on from where I left off with no problems?
Icefever, if you check the start of this post there is a picture, it's not a clone of anything it's just what I had available in my workshop.
Mash, thanks for confirming, everything is more difficult the first go round!
Have started the spirit run tonight but had to cut it short as apparently I should be with my family and not buggering about in my workshop on crimo eve..
The yeasty smell has pretty much gone now and the first 100mm that smelt alright and tasted good was after 400mm, seems a lot to waste so I have left it to air tonight, the rest was good and I got 1.5L before turning it off that measured 85%.
I made some gin with the first bit from a top shelf flavour, I'm not a gin drinker but her indoors is, compared it to tesco gin and mine was as good, I thought it was smoother!
I'm sure it's not the done thing to turn off a still half way through but I had little choice, will it just carry on from where I left off with no problems?
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
Re: First run
Yes you can carry on where you left off.
There’s no pictur3 that I can see????
Happy Xmas
There’s no pictur3 that I can see????
Happy Xmas
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: First run
Nice pic,
I'll save comment on the still, water cooling not being something I do.
That lathe in the background caught my eye though!
Robert.
I'll save comment on the still, water cooling not being something I do.
That lathe in the background caught my eye though!
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: First run
I have hugely changed opinion on cooling, I now realise that trying to keep a stable temp on a waterbath is pretty much futile, it's ok for a stripping run I guess but for spirit run it is difficult, each time I topped up the bath the temp at the top of the column dropped so you adjust the gas to compensate but that just warms the bath up quicker... tap it is from now on, lesson learned.
Got the lathe years ago off fleabay for only 400 quid, one of my better buys, theres a bridgeport mill to the left out of shot, I like making things!
Got the lathe years ago off fleabay for only 400 quid, one of my better buys, theres a bridgeport mill to the left out of shot, I like making things!
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
Re: First run
Bloody hell, that’s a massive lathe for 400 squid
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: First run
I thought I was losing the plot when I didn't see any photo, now I can....that's a workshop & half.
You say you made the still from what you had lying around, but where did the boiler come from???.
You say you made the still from what you had lying around, but where did the boiler come from???.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
-

Icefever - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 2407
- Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
- Location: Kingdom of Mercia
Re: First run
Nice looking boat anchor on the bench at the back too 

I seldom take myself seriously....
-

packapoo - Master Distiller

- Posts: 690
- Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
- Location: Marton, New Zealand
- Stills: Amphora PDA-1
Re: First run
With My Little Eye I spy Something Beginning With #####
You just earned massive engineering respect.
Robert.
You just earned massive engineering respect.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5206
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: First run
Icefever - I got the keg from a rubbish dump many years ago and had it kicking around since as I figured it would be good for a still. I have googled it and it looks like it's a soda keg 'firestone steel products co' 'Model challenger V1'.
-

Maker - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 am
- Stills: KEG
15 posts
• Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
