Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Discuss fermentation, different types of wash, etc

Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby Still Brewing » Sat May 09, 2015 12:42 pm

Afternoon all

I think my wash has now finished fermenting. No more bubbles rising and an SG of 1010. Do you think its ready for the next stage.

Cheers
User avatar
Still Brewing
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby Almanac » Sat May 09, 2015 12:56 pm

What's in it? 1.010 does seem a little high unless it's All Grain and even then....

AidanMac Image
Almanac
Almanac
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 1847
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby Still Brewing » Sat May 09, 2015 1:25 pm

I thought it was a little high tbh. Its made with 6kg of sugar and the last of my Still Spirits turbo yeast and carbon pack.
User avatar
Still Brewing
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby GrunthosTheFlatulent » Sat May 09, 2015 5:15 pm

There's still quite a bit if sugar left in that, I expect my sugar washes to finish below 0.990

Are you using any form of temperature control? I use a thermostatic aquarium heater to keep vodka star at 26C and lentil washes at 28-30C.
User avatar
GrunthosTheFlatulent
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:44 am
Location: English Midlands

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby Mash » Sat May 09, 2015 5:36 pm

Yup that's a bit high .. is it bubbling through the airlock?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby GrunthosTheFlatulent » Sat May 09, 2015 7:34 pm

If it's in a bucket then airlocks are rarely a good indicator. I have only ever had one which sealed properly, if there's any pressure leak around the lid then bubblers won't bubble,
User avatar
GrunthosTheFlatulent
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:44 am
Location: English Midlands

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby RumJohn » Sun May 10, 2015 1:24 am

@Stillbrewing: It may indeed be still brewing. 1.010 would indicate there is still sugar remaining. The question is whether or not the wash has become stuck or not. If it has, run it and take the small loss. Next time will probably be better.
User avatar
RumJohn
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 am
Location: Sanya, China
Stills: Homegrown

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby Easydrinker » Sun May 10, 2015 10:31 pm

As you are stating "no more bubbles rising",my own indicator,(assuming no attempt at an airlock)I would declare this one ready to rack and run.
As others have stated,it is still high in sugar,for some reason.
Something to ponder upon.
But personally,I would run it.
The yeasties could have done better for you.
Ask them,and yourself why they didn't.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby Mash » Mon May 11, 2015 6:16 am

ED. Talking to yeasties ! ... and you ask Frank if he had been drinking :D :D :D
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby Almanac » Mon May 11, 2015 7:45 am

Hold off on the Doomsday solution a while ;D

The worthwhile principle of 'Exhaustion of Remedies' suggests you a should give it a mighty stir, re-seal the lid and airlock and leave it a couple of days to see if the gravity reading improves.

Often, little is learned by throwing in the towel too easily.

AidanMac Image
Almanac
Almanac
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 1847
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby Mr Four Square » Mon May 11, 2015 8:20 am

Agree with what the others have said.

I used to panic when the airlock stopped bubbling. What's gone wrong ? Is it stalled? How do you make a nutrient bomb? I have much more relaxed attitude now. If you used a decent amount of yeast to kick it off then it's likely just slowly chomping its way through the wash. Stick your head in the bucket and have a sniff. If it feels like someone's just jabbed a pencil up each nostril it's still fermenting.

Fruit ferments sitting in a bowl on the sideboard. No airlock. No Ph strips or dap. Yeast will triumph over us all in the end . O0
User avatar
Mr Four Square
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:57 pm
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Stills: Pot & T500Reflux

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby Mash » Mon May 11, 2015 2:01 pm

Mr Four Square wrote:Stick your head in the bucket and have a sniff. If it feels like someone's just jabbed a pencil up each nostril it's still fermenting.


LMAO

Mr Four Square wrote:Yeast will triumph over us all in the end


Not wrong there.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby Still Brewing » Tue May 12, 2015 6:53 pm

Cheers for all the help and info gents.

I gave it a right good stir and left it a few more days. The temperature was fine and it finally dropped a little more down to 1004, but no more.

I've now gone ahead and racked it off and started the clearing process as its been brewing for over two weeks now and I want to avoid any sort of infection. TBH, I have never managed to get the FG much below 1000 before. Don't know why, I have always kept the temperature right and have even used a stick thermostat when its been cold.

From now on I'm going to try the Vodka Star yeast like you guys do as I have been using Still Spirits packs from day one. Maybe that might make a difference.
User avatar
Still Brewing
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby chill » Tue May 12, 2015 7:08 pm

Have you checked the pH? It can really dive on a sugar wash and that will stall the yeast.
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation

Postby Still Brewing » Wed May 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi Chill

No, I didn't check the water PH, its something I never thought about. On this occasion its too late because I have already cleared it ready to go into the still but will grab a testing kit to add to my armoury.

When it comes to making spirits I'm a complete novice and have always made it the same way as shown in the vids by a UK supplier of Smart Stills. Now that I know a finer spirit can be made at home using this basic still I'm very eager to learn.

I don't think I will ever be able to upgrade from the Smart Still so I hope I will get the best from it.
User avatar
Still Brewing
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 6:29 pm

Next

Return to Fermentation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests