Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
25 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
Afternoon all
I think my wash has now finished fermenting. No more bubbles rising and an SG of 1010. Do you think its ready for the next stage.
Cheers
I think my wash has now finished fermenting. No more bubbles rising and an SG of 1010. Do you think its ready for the next stage.
Cheers
-

Still Brewing - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 113
- Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 6:29 pm
- Almanac
- Senior Distiller

- Posts: 1847
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am
Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
I thought it was a little high tbh. Its made with 6kg of sugar and the last of my Still Spirits turbo yeast and carbon pack.
-

Still Brewing - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 113
- Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 6:29 pm
Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
There's still quite a bit if sugar left in that, I expect my sugar washes to finish below 0.990
Are you using any form of temperature control? I use a thermostatic aquarium heater to keep vodka star at 26C and lentil washes at 28-30C.
Are you using any form of temperature control? I use a thermostatic aquarium heater to keep vodka star at 26C and lentil washes at 28-30C.
-

GrunthosTheFlatulent - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 166
- Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:44 am
- Location: English Midlands
Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
Yup that's a bit high .. is it bubbling through the airlock?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
If it's in a bucket then airlocks are rarely a good indicator. I have only ever had one which sealed properly, if there's any pressure leak around the lid then bubblers won't bubble,
-

GrunthosTheFlatulent - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 166
- Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:44 am
- Location: English Midlands
Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
@Stillbrewing: It may indeed be still brewing. 1.010 would indicate there is still sugar remaining. The question is whether or not the wash has become stuck or not. If it has, run it and take the small loss. Next time will probably be better.
-

RumJohn - Master Distiller

- Posts: 606
- Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 am
- Location: Sanya, China
- Stills: Homegrown
Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
As you are stating "no more bubbles rising",my own indicator,(assuming no attempt at an airlock)I would declare this one ready to rack and run.
As others have stated,it is still high in sugar,for some reason.
Something to ponder upon.
But personally,I would run it.
The yeasties could have done better for you.
Ask them,and yourself why they didn't.
Robert.
As others have stated,it is still high in sugar,for some reason.
Something to ponder upon.
But personally,I would run it.
The yeasties could have done better for you.
Ask them,and yourself why they didn't.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
ED. Talking to yeasties ! ... and you ask Frank if he had been drinking


email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
Hold off on the Doomsday solution a while
The worthwhile principle of 'Exhaustion of Remedies' suggests you a should give it a mighty stir, re-seal the lid and airlock and leave it a couple of days to see if the gravity reading improves.
Often, little is learned by throwing in the towel too easily.
AidanMac
The worthwhile principle of 'Exhaustion of Remedies' suggests you a should give it a mighty stir, re-seal the lid and airlock and leave it a couple of days to see if the gravity reading improves.
Often, little is learned by throwing in the towel too easily.
AidanMac
Almanac
- Almanac
- Senior Distiller

- Posts: 1847
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am
Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
Agree with what the others have said.
I used to panic when the airlock stopped bubbling. What's gone wrong ? Is it stalled? How do you make a nutrient bomb? I have much more relaxed attitude now. If you used a decent amount of yeast to kick it off then it's likely just slowly chomping its way through the wash. Stick your head in the bucket and have a sniff. If it feels like someone's just jabbed a pencil up each nostril it's still fermenting.
Fruit ferments sitting in a bowl on the sideboard. No airlock. No Ph strips or dap. Yeast will triumph over us all in the end .
I used to panic when the airlock stopped bubbling. What's gone wrong ? Is it stalled? How do you make a nutrient bomb? I have much more relaxed attitude now. If you used a decent amount of yeast to kick it off then it's likely just slowly chomping its way through the wash. Stick your head in the bucket and have a sniff. If it feels like someone's just jabbed a pencil up each nostril it's still fermenting.
Fruit ferments sitting in a bowl on the sideboard. No airlock. No Ph strips or dap. Yeast will triumph over us all in the end .

-

Mr Four Square - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 269
- Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:57 pm
- Location: Wellington New Zealand
- Stills: Pot & T500Reflux
Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
Mr Four Square wrote:Stick your head in the bucket and have a sniff. If it feels like someone's just jabbed a pencil up each nostril it's still fermenting.
LMAO
Mr Four Square wrote:Yeast will triumph over us all in the end
Not wrong there.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
Cheers for all the help and info gents.
I gave it a right good stir and left it a few more days. The temperature was fine and it finally dropped a little more down to 1004, but no more.
I've now gone ahead and racked it off and started the clearing process as its been brewing for over two weeks now and I want to avoid any sort of infection. TBH, I have never managed to get the FG much below 1000 before. Don't know why, I have always kept the temperature right and have even used a stick thermostat when its been cold.
From now on I'm going to try the Vodka Star yeast like you guys do as I have been using Still Spirits packs from day one. Maybe that might make a difference.
I gave it a right good stir and left it a few more days. The temperature was fine and it finally dropped a little more down to 1004, but no more.
I've now gone ahead and racked it off and started the clearing process as its been brewing for over two weeks now and I want to avoid any sort of infection. TBH, I have never managed to get the FG much below 1000 before. Don't know why, I have always kept the temperature right and have even used a stick thermostat when its been cold.
From now on I'm going to try the Vodka Star yeast like you guys do as I have been using Still Spirits packs from day one. Maybe that might make a difference.
-

Still Brewing - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 113
- Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 6:29 pm
Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
Have you checked the pH? It can really dive on a sugar wash and that will stall the yeast.
-

chill - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1660
- Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
- Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
- Stills: Easy Still
Re: Final SG Of Finished Fermentation
Hi Chill
No, I didn't check the water PH, its something I never thought about. On this occasion its too late because I have already cleared it ready to go into the still but will grab a testing kit to add to my armoury.
When it comes to making spirits I'm a complete novice and have always made it the same way as shown in the vids by a UK supplier of Smart Stills. Now that I know a finer spirit can be made at home using this basic still I'm very eager to learn.
I don't think I will ever be able to upgrade from the Smart Still so I hope I will get the best from it.
No, I didn't check the water PH, its something I never thought about. On this occasion its too late because I have already cleared it ready to go into the still but will grab a testing kit to add to my armoury.
When it comes to making spirits I'm a complete novice and have always made it the same way as shown in the vids by a UK supplier of Smart Stills. Now that I know a finer spirit can be made at home using this basic still I'm very eager to learn.
I don't think I will ever be able to upgrade from the Smart Still so I hope I will get the best from it.
-

Still Brewing - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 113
- Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 6:29 pm
25 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests