Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
37 posts
• Page 2 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
Copper. Bugger the butter. Copper.
PS did I mention... Copper
PS did I mention... Copper
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
In my experiance you’ll never get a clear wash made with Molasses so don’t worry about it, also with a mix of molasses and Demerara sugar you could have just used some bread yeast and saved yourself a lot of money on the turbo yeast and clearing agents.
- Anavrin
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 1468
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
- Location: By the Sea
- Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
Good point. Probably could have had a bit less sugar/molasses too.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
IMHO less sugar and molasses should have been used, that was one sickly sweet brew, I hope all the sugars fermented for you.
But, yes run it, these days I seldom wait for a clear wash.
Robert.
But, yes run it, these days I seldom wait for a clear wash.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5207
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
I am estimating that at 20%. Good luck fermenting that.
Honestly just taste a bit. I suspect it will still be sweet. I would double the volume and try to ferment it out. If you did actually manage to ferment it then just run it.
Honestly just taste a bit. I suspect it will still be sweet. I would double the volume and try to ferment it out. If you did actually manage to ferment it then just run it.
-

Myles - Master Distiller

- Posts: 692
- Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
Hi all,
The tips and advice I have received on here has been fantastic so thank you to everyone!
I am currently running the wash in two batches (as still not big enough) and used the copper penny trick, adding a whole pack of ceramic beads, to be safe. I have experienced no issues so far.
The rum has came out very well IMO, little bit of a pink twinge and little flecks of something inside, but this should come out through a Brita filter.

This is my wash before the run (the black dots aren't in the wash, they're on the roof of the conservatory!)

After
I haven't took a FG yet, but I can safely say one thing, it is very strong. Am I able to estimate the proof of this? as even from tasting the drips off my finger it has got me a bit..
unfortunately I did not take a reading during initial mixing.
Thanks again to everyone!
The tips and advice I have received on here has been fantastic so thank you to everyone!
I am currently running the wash in two batches (as still not big enough) and used the copper penny trick, adding a whole pack of ceramic beads, to be safe. I have experienced no issues so far.
The rum has came out very well IMO, little bit of a pink twinge and little flecks of something inside, but this should come out through a Brita filter.

This is my wash before the run (the black dots aren't in the wash, they're on the roof of the conservatory!)

After
I haven't took a FG yet, but I can safely say one thing, it is very strong. Am I able to estimate the proof of this? as even from tasting the drips off my finger it has got me a bit..
unfortunately I did not take a reading during initial mixing.Thanks again to everyone!
-

WhiteVanMan - Newcomer
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
Well done. You can get spirit hydrometers and refractometers.
Both cheap as chips on ebay from China
Both cheap as chips on ebay from China
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
Chirping in just to advise not filtering a Rum through anything better than a Brita filter.
It would be a shame to lose that worked for flavour,
Robert.
It would be a shame to lose that worked for flavour,
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5207
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
Would I be better suited to a refractometer as the all of the spirit hydrometers on ebay say that they are not suitable for sugar washes?
Chirping in just to advise not filtering a Rum through anything better than a Brita filter.
It would be a shame to lose that worked for flavour,
Do you mean that a Brita filter is ok to use but nothing else?
Thanks in advance
I have included a picture of final product if anyone is interested!

Chirping in just to advise not filtering a Rum through anything better than a Brita filter.
It would be a shame to lose that worked for flavour,
Do you mean that a Brita filter is ok to use but nothing else?
Thanks in advance
I have included a picture of final product if anyone is interested!

-

WhiteVanMan - Newcomer
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
I prefer refractometers yes. Just soooo quick, easy & clean to use.
Once you have one you just won't use your hydrometers anyway.
... And they don't roll off the bench and smash.
Once you have one you just won't use your hydrometers anyway.
... And they don't roll off the bench and smash.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
Thanks Mash
I'm presuming that I'd have to buy a 0-90brix refractometer? As the ones on ebay are mainly 0-32brix which I don't think would give me an accurate reading?
Thanks
I'm presuming that I'd have to buy a 0-90brix refractometer? As the ones on ebay are mainly 0-32brix which I don't think would give me an accurate reading?
Thanks
-

WhiteVanMan - Newcomer
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
There is 2 different types. One for alcohol one for sugar.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
Thanks Mash
So this would suffice?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2208578555
I was working on the assumption that as it only goes to 32brix I would only be able to establish the proof up to 20.9% ABV?
Thanks
So this would suffice?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2208578555
I was working on the assumption that as it only goes to 32brix I would only be able to establish the proof up to 20.9% ABV?
Thanks
-

WhiteVanMan - Newcomer
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
There are also different scales.
This is for sugar content- Grapes / fruit / fruit juice etc. The scale here has a finished % guide which is really handy to double check your maths when you start a brew.
This one is for finished spirit.
This is for sugar content- Grapes / fruit / fruit juice etc. The scale here has a finished % guide which is really handy to double check your maths when you start a brew.
This one is for finished spirit.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4594
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?
That's excellent, thanks for clarifying.
I have ordered this
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2788051191
As this should tell me?
I will post proof when it arrives
Thanks again
I have ordered this
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2788051191
As this should tell me?
I will post proof when it arrives
Thanks again
-

WhiteVanMan - Newcomer
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm
37 posts
• Page 2 of 3 • 1, 2, 3
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


