Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Discuss fermentation, different types of wash, etc

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby Mash » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:13 am

Copper. Bugger the butter. Copper.

PS did I mention... Copper
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby Anavrin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:47 am

In my experiance you’ll never get a clear wash made with Molasses so don’t worry about it, also with a mix of molasses and Demerara sugar you could have just used some bread yeast and saved yourself a lot of money on the turbo yeast and clearing agents.
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby Mash » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:08 pm

Good point. Probably could have had a bit less sugar/molasses too.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby Easydrinker » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:36 pm

IMHO less sugar and molasses should have been used, that was one sickly sweet brew, I hope all the sugars fermented for you.
But, yes run it, these days I seldom wait for a clear wash.

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5207
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby Myles » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:17 am

I am estimating that at 20%. Good luck fermenting that.
Honestly just taste a bit. I suspect it will still be sweet. I would double the volume and try to ferment it out. If you did actually manage to ferment it then just run it.
User avatar
Myles
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby WhiteVanMan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi all,

The tips and advice I have received on here has been fantastic so thank you to everyone!

I am currently running the wash in two batches (as still not big enough) and used the copper penny trick, adding a whole pack of ceramic beads, to be safe. I have experienced no issues so far.

The rum has came out very well IMO, little bit of a pink twinge and little flecks of something inside, but this should come out through a Brita filter.

Image
This is my wash before the run (the black dots aren't in the wash, they're on the roof of the conservatory!)



Image
After

I haven't took a FG yet, but I can safely say one thing, it is very strong. Am I able to estimate the proof of this? as even from tasting the drips off my finger it has got me a bit.. ::) unfortunately I did not take a reading during initial mixing.

Thanks again to everyone!
User avatar
WhiteVanMan
Newcomer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby Mash » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:49 pm

Well done. You can get spirit hydrometers and refractometers.

Both cheap as chips on ebay from China
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby Easydrinker » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Chirping in just to advise not filtering a Rum through anything better than a Brita filter.
It would be a shame to lose that worked for flavour,

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5207
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby WhiteVanMan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:57 pm

Would I be better suited to a refractometer as the all of the spirit hydrometers on ebay say that they are not suitable for sugar washes?


Chirping in just to advise not filtering a Rum through anything better than a Brita filter.
It would be a shame to lose that worked for flavour,
Do you mean that a Brita filter is ok to use but nothing else?

Thanks in advance

I have included a picture of final product if anyone is interested!

Image
User avatar
WhiteVanMan
Newcomer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby Mash » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:43 am

I prefer refractometers yes. Just soooo quick, easy & clean to use.
Once you have one you just won't use your hydrometers anyway.

... And they don't roll off the bench and smash.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby WhiteVanMan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:08 am

Thanks Mash

I'm presuming that I'd have to buy a 0-90brix refractometer? As the ones on ebay are mainly 0-32brix which I don't think would give me an accurate reading?

Thanks
User avatar
WhiteVanMan
Newcomer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby Mash » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:45 am

There is 2 different types. One for alcohol one for sugar.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby WhiteVanMan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:21 am

Thanks Mash

So this would suffice?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2208578555

I was working on the assumption that as it only goes to 32brix I would only be able to establish the proof up to 20.9% ABV?

Thanks
User avatar
WhiteVanMan
Newcomer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby Mash » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:41 am

There are also different scales.

This is for sugar content- Grapes / fruit / fruit juice etc. The scale here has a finished % guide which is really handy to double check your maths when you start a brew.

refractometer scale - grapes.jpg


This one is for finished spirit.

refractometer scale - 80 spirit .jpg
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Yeast in suspension - Can I still run it?

Postby WhiteVanMan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:35 pm

That's excellent, thanks for clarifying.

I have ordered this
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2788051191
As this should tell me?

I will post proof when it arrives

Thanks again
User avatar
WhiteVanMan
Newcomer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests