Rising pH WTF?!!?

Discuss fermentation, different types of wash, etc

Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby chill » Fri May 15, 2015 4:57 am

My last two washes (lentil wash, same thing I have been doing for months) have started to slow after about 3 days. I check the pH to see if it has crashed. And... what the... the pH is 7! It is going in the opposite direction. I add a couple tsp of citric acid, it goes back to around 5 and fomentation takes off again. I am using the same batch of lentils, the same batch of pH buffer (my washes consistently drop to 3 and stall), the same yeast, etc. The only thing that I can think of is that my water supply has changed or the sugar has changed (which seems more far fetched that the water). I did not check the pH when I started the washes. Googling did not find any infection that would cause this and the washes seem fine otherwise, no bad smells or slimy floating islands.

???
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby Icefever » Fri May 15, 2015 5:57 am

Strange that... ??? never checked my wash when their fermenting...but will keep an eye on them.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
User avatar
Icefever
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
Location: Kingdom of Mercia

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby Mash » Fri May 15, 2015 6:45 am

This is a yeast issue. What quantity of yeast are you adding to what vol of water and how please.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby Mash » Fri May 15, 2015 6:47 am

Temp can do strange things to yeast. What was the temp when you started and what did you maintain?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby chill » Fri May 15, 2015 3:29 pm

It was DADY yeast, I used about 1 Tbsp in 25L of wash. Temperature is controlled by an aquarium heater set to about 28c. None of this changed but the yeast might be getting old and I have my doubts about the thermostat in the heater.

Chuck
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby Mash » Sat May 16, 2015 6:42 am

given the acuracy of the stat,is probably 2 degrees is it worth setting it a bit lower.

Also we are coming into summer and the ambient air temp in rising.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby Almanac » Sat May 16, 2015 6:58 am

I've been pondering this prob over the last few days because I've had lots of time waiting around with nothing else to do. I've racked through the few remaining brain cells I have and haven't come up with any experience that might help with this.

I have never come across a rising pH in a wash - ever! The only thing I can think might create such a phenomenon is some kind of infection but I'm clutching at straws ???

AidanMac Image
Almanac
Almanac
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 1847
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby Mash » Sat May 16, 2015 7:45 am

Given this dose the yeast is probably just exiting the lag stage. I have never seen it - but I have not been looking. How many of us just make sure it is started and then just keep an eye on the temps.??
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby Easydrinker » Sun May 17, 2015 1:16 am

Last week,I had two buckets of the same wash,started as three,in an effort to control the yeast monster.After initial vigorous ferment I recombined to two buckets as usual,so some commonality there.
One I racked off,left a day and then racked to still,two days ago,at.990 and stripped.
The other,three days later,I have given up on at 1.000,and racked off.
The OP of this topic,drove me to check pH on it- 3.1.
The temperature of the wash when checked agreed with the aquarium heater too.
Yeast Gremlins me thinks.


Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby Anavrin » Sun May 17, 2015 8:16 am

I've been thinking about this also,

Is it possible the PH was 7 in the first place and the yeast you added just didn't get going?

Maybe you got some action as the yeast was initially multiying but the ph being to high stopped it in its tracks until you dropped it to 5 with some citric acid.
Image
Anavrin
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: By the Sea
Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby chill » Sun May 17, 2015 4:13 pm

It started with a good, bubbling crust on it. I don't think that was just the initial multiplication phase, but I could be wrong.
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby Mash » Sun May 17, 2015 4:30 pm

Ph will swing in a wash. PH is a complex subject and certainly not linear. This is more likely to be the symptom and not the cause. Did you stir in the citric acid well?
Last edited by Mash on Tue May 19, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby chill » Sun May 17, 2015 5:16 pm

I would not say well. I sprinkled it on top and gave it a couple of stirs with a small spoon. A couple hours laters it was fizzing again.
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby Jaggie » Tue May 19, 2015 2:32 pm

if the PH is around 3 what can we use to bring it back upto 5.2 ?
User avatar
Jaggie
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:07 pm
Location: Northumberland
Stills: T500

Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?

Postby chill » Tue May 19, 2015 4:00 pm

Baking soda. Start slow with around 2-3 tsp. Measure and adjust. It will likely dive again. There are some threads on here about pH buffers which I find needed for my local conditions.
User avatar
chill
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
Stills: Easy Still

Next

Return to Fermentation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest