Rising pH WTF?!!?
20 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Rising pH WTF?!!?
My last two washes (lentil wash, same thing I have been doing for months) have started to slow after about 3 days. I check the pH to see if it has crashed. And... what the... the pH is 7! It is going in the opposite direction. I add a couple tsp of citric acid, it goes back to around 5 and fomentation takes off again. I am using the same batch of lentils, the same batch of pH buffer (my washes consistently drop to 3 and stall), the same yeast, etc. The only thing that I can think of is that my water supply has changed or the sugar has changed (which seems more far fetched that the water). I did not check the pH when I started the washes. Googling did not find any infection that would cause this and the washes seem fine otherwise, no bad smells or slimy floating islands.


-

chill - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1660
- Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
- Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
- Stills: Easy Still
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
Strange that...
never checked my wash when their fermenting...but will keep an eye on them.
never checked my wash when their fermenting...but will keep an eye on them.I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
-

Icefever - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 2407
- Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am
- Location: Kingdom of Mercia
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
This is a yeast issue. What quantity of yeast are you adding to what vol of water and how please.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
Temp can do strange things to yeast. What was the temp when you started and what did you maintain?
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
It was DADY yeast, I used about 1 Tbsp in 25L of wash. Temperature is controlled by an aquarium heater set to about 28c. None of this changed but the yeast might be getting old and I have my doubts about the thermostat in the heater.
Chuck
Chuck
-

chill - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1660
- Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
- Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
- Stills: Easy Still
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
given the acuracy of the stat,is probably 2 degrees is it worth setting it a bit lower.
Also we are coming into summer and the ambient air temp in rising.
Also we are coming into summer and the ambient air temp in rising.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
I've been pondering this prob over the last few days because I've had lots of time waiting around with nothing else to do. I've racked through the few remaining brain cells I have and haven't come up with any experience that might help with this.
I have never come across a rising pH in a wash - ever! The only thing I can think might create such a phenomenon is some kind of infection but I'm clutching at straws
AidanMac
I have never come across a rising pH in a wash - ever! The only thing I can think might create such a phenomenon is some kind of infection but I'm clutching at straws
AidanMac
Almanac
- Almanac
- Senior Distiller

- Posts: 1847
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 am
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
Given this dose the yeast is probably just exiting the lag stage. I have never seen it - but I have not been looking. How many of us just make sure it is started and then just keep an eye on the temps.??
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
Last week,I had two buckets of the same wash,started as three,in an effort to control the yeast monster.After initial vigorous ferment I recombined to two buckets as usual,so some commonality there.
One I racked off,left a day and then racked to still,two days ago,at.990 and stripped.
The other,three days later,I have given up on at 1.000,and racked off.
The OP of this topic,drove me to check pH on it- 3.1.
The temperature of the wash when checked agreed with the aquarium heater too.
Yeast Gremlins me thinks.
Robert.
One I racked off,left a day and then racked to still,two days ago,at.990 and stripped.
The other,three days later,I have given up on at 1.000,and racked off.
The OP of this topic,drove me to check pH on it- 3.1.
The temperature of the wash when checked agreed with the aquarium heater too.
Yeast Gremlins me thinks.
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
I've been thinking about this also,
Is it possible the PH was 7 in the first place and the yeast you added just didn't get going?
Maybe you got some action as the yeast was initially multiying but the ph being to high stopped it in its tracks until you dropped it to 5 with some citric acid.
Is it possible the PH was 7 in the first place and the yeast you added just didn't get going?
Maybe you got some action as the yeast was initially multiying but the ph being to high stopped it in its tracks until you dropped it to 5 with some citric acid.
- Anavrin
- Master Distiller

- Posts: 1468
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm
- Location: By the Sea
- Stills: 4” StillDragon Dash
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
It started with a good, bubbling crust on it. I don't think that was just the initial multiplication phase, but I could be wrong.
-

chill - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1660
- Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
- Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
- Stills: Easy Still
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
Ph will swing in a wash. PH is a complex subject and certainly not linear. This is more likely to be the symptom and not the cause. Did you stir in the citric acid well?
Last edited by Mash on Tue May 19, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
I would not say well. I sprinkled it on top and gave it a couple of stirs with a small spoon. A couple hours laters it was fizzing again.
-

chill - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1660
- Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
- Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
- Stills: Easy Still
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
if the PH is around 3 what can we use to bring it back upto 5.2 ?
-

Jaggie - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 110
- Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:07 pm
- Location: Northumberland
- Stills: T500
Re: Rising pH WTF?!!?
Baking soda. Start slow with around 2-3 tsp. Measure and adjust. It will likely dive again. There are some threads on here about pH buffers which I find needed for my local conditions.
-

chill - Master Distiller

- Posts: 1660
- Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 am
- Location: We(s)t Coast of Canada
- Stills: Easy Still
20 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest
