LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

The distillation process itself

LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby Duffer26 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:39 pm

I WANT MY AIR STILL BACK!!!!!
User avatar
Duffer26
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
Location: South West England.
Stills: Manning Gin Still

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby Mash » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:42 pm

Lol. Sorry probably not the right response.

I am sure it will come good.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby Duffer26 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:49 pm

It is refluxing but how do I know when to stop stripping?

I have a parrot......sort of.
User avatar
Duffer26
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
Location: South West England.
Stills: Manning Gin Still

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby packapoo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:03 pm

When I was setting out I used to strip everything except the fores, off in 250ml quantities,
smell and taste, set aside to air and cool overnight, then get started with hydrometer.

Smell and/or taste will tell you when to quit. Failing, when temp starts to nudge 99 degrees you're getting close to distilling water.
I seldom take myself seriously....
User avatar
packapoo
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
Location: Marton, New Zealand
Stills: Amphora PDA-1

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby Easydrinker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:04 pm

It's life Jim, but not as we know it. Not as we know it.
It's worse than that, he's dead Jim, dead Jim, dead.
There's Clingons on the Starboard bow, shake 'em off Jim!

You are Star-Trecking across the universe. :)

Maybe not so helpful,but it made me smile while tapping it, :)

Robert.
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby RumJohn » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:05 am

@Duffer26. Why would you reflux and strip in the same run???
User avatar
RumJohn
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 am
Location: Sanya, China
Stills: Homegrown

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby Duffer26 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:19 am

Because I wanted to see if it would reflux. It did. I wouldn't do it this way again.

It was a kind of brilliant nightmare, but I learned a helova lot on this first attempt.
User avatar
Duffer26
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
Location: South West England.
Stills: Manning Gin Still

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby Easydrinker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Live a little, learn a lot.
I am sure that there are posts on this forum, that speak of running a T500 on a combined run, no separate strip and spirit run.
Forget the nut-jobs that think you can do it with a basic air still/Smart still.
I have never considered myself a health and safety kind of person, but do possess some intelligence, am able to filter some internet gleaned advice, and try and keep myself alive.

Robert.

Oh, and FUN at you Duffer. Play while you can. :)
There is no ONE way.
User avatar
Easydrinker
Donated to StillSmart
Donated to StillSmart
 
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
Stills: Smart & Silly

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby Duffer26 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:25 am

Thanks Robert.

I actually had this little still producing 95% at one lucky point.
I was constantly juggling the water and the heat. The water by the tap outside which was a ridiculous idea. I couldn't fine tune it at all. I had water all over the place at the beginning.

I had a powerful single gas burner under the boiler, but no delineations on the dial, I guess I'll learn where the sweet spot is.

So back to the drawing board with relation to the water and I'll try again next weekend, a second strip with the still in 'pot mode'

You don't learn a thing when everything goes right. You learn a lot when everything go's wrong.
User avatar
Duffer26
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
Location: South West England.
Stills: Manning Gin Still

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby Mash » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:36 am

Is you pressure cooker induction capable? - or put another way does a magnet stick to the bottom.

IF SO a single induction hob would REALLY give you some control of the input.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby Duffer26 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:55 am

I have one but it cycles on and of to maintain temperature. I think they all do this.

I don't think an erratic heat source would be any good for distilling.

I think hot plates do this as well.
User avatar
Duffer26
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
Location: South West England.
Stills: Manning Gin Still

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby Mash » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:09 pm

it does but it is very quick and it is 'buffered' by the saucepan bottom.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
User avatar
Mash
Master Distiller
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Right here.
Stills: SSSS

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby Duffer26 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Perhaps perhaps perhaps. I can but try it.

Ill see if I can get it to maintain a steady but gentle boil with water first.
It would indeed be the ultimate way to heat a boiler.

Water is my main worry at the moment. PRV's, Ball valves, needle valves etc etc...
User avatar
Duffer26
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
Location: South West England.
Stills: Manning Gin Still

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby H12rpo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Ah, don’t forget that if you’re boiling water, then you will be too hot. Alcohol is evaporated at a lot less temp than water boils!
I would d3ffo say a needle valve is a great way to control your water. The still spirits one that comes with the T500 does a great job and they can be bought separately
User avatar
H12rpo
Senior Distiller
Senior Distiller
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
Location: Wales somewhere
Stills: T500

Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN

Postby Duffer26 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:25 pm

H12rpo wrote:Ah, don’t forget that if you’re boiling water, then you will be too hot. Alcohol is evaporated at a lot less temp than water boils!


Yes, I just mean simply boiling water without the still head on. I could also cook some pasta for tea then.

I'll check out that needle valve, thanks.
User avatar
Duffer26
Experienced Distiller
Experienced Distiller
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
Location: South West England.
Stills: Manning Gin Still

Next

Return to Distillation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

User Menu

Login Form

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 72 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests