LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
26 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
I WANT MY AIR STILL BACK!!!!!
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
Lol. Sorry probably not the right response.
I am sure it will come good.
I am sure it will come good.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
It is refluxing but how do I know when to stop stripping?
I have a parrot......sort of.
I have a parrot......sort of.
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
When I was setting out I used to strip everything except the fores, off in 250ml quantities,
smell and taste, set aside to air and cool overnight, then get started with hydrometer.
Smell and/or taste will tell you when to quit. Failing, when temp starts to nudge 99 degrees you're getting close to distilling water.
smell and taste, set aside to air and cool overnight, then get started with hydrometer.
Smell and/or taste will tell you when to quit. Failing, when temp starts to nudge 99 degrees you're getting close to distilling water.
I seldom take myself seriously....
-

packapoo - Master Distiller

- Posts: 690
- Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am
- Location: Marton, New Zealand
- Stills: Amphora PDA-1
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
It's life Jim, but not as we know it. Not as we know it.
It's worse than that, he's dead Jim, dead Jim, dead.
There's Clingons on the Starboard bow, shake 'em off Jim!
You are Star-Trecking across the universe.
Maybe not so helpful,but it made me smile while tapping it,
Robert.
It's worse than that, he's dead Jim, dead Jim, dead.
There's Clingons on the Starboard bow, shake 'em off Jim!
You are Star-Trecking across the universe.
Maybe not so helpful,but it made me smile while tapping it,
Robert.
There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
@Duffer26. Why would you reflux and strip in the same run???
-

RumJohn - Master Distiller

- Posts: 606
- Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 am
- Location: Sanya, China
- Stills: Homegrown
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
Because I wanted to see if it would reflux. It did. I wouldn't do it this way again.
It was a kind of brilliant nightmare, but I learned a helova lot on this first attempt.
It was a kind of brilliant nightmare, but I learned a helova lot on this first attempt.
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
Live a little, learn a lot.
I am sure that there are posts on this forum, that speak of running a T500 on a combined run, no separate strip and spirit run.
Forget the nut-jobs that think you can do it with a basic air still/Smart still.
I have never considered myself a health and safety kind of person, but do possess some intelligence, am able to filter some internet gleaned advice, and try and keep myself alive.
Robert.
Oh, and FUN at you Duffer. Play while you can.
I am sure that there are posts on this forum, that speak of running a T500 on a combined run, no separate strip and spirit run.
Forget the nut-jobs that think you can do it with a basic air still/Smart still.
I have never considered myself a health and safety kind of person, but do possess some intelligence, am able to filter some internet gleaned advice, and try and keep myself alive.
Robert.
Oh, and FUN at you Duffer. Play while you can.

There is no ONE way.
-

Easydrinker - Donated to StillSmart

- Posts: 5208
- Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:09 pm
- Location: The hills of lowland Scotland
- Stills: Smart & Silly
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
Thanks Robert.
I actually had this little still producing 95% at one lucky point.
I was constantly juggling the water and the heat. The water by the tap outside which was a ridiculous idea. I couldn't fine tune it at all. I had water all over the place at the beginning.
I had a powerful single gas burner under the boiler, but no delineations on the dial, I guess I'll learn where the sweet spot is.
So back to the drawing board with relation to the water and I'll try again next weekend, a second strip with the still in 'pot mode'
You don't learn a thing when everything goes right. You learn a lot when everything go's wrong.
I actually had this little still producing 95% at one lucky point.
I was constantly juggling the water and the heat. The water by the tap outside which was a ridiculous idea. I couldn't fine tune it at all. I had water all over the place at the beginning.
I had a powerful single gas burner under the boiler, but no delineations on the dial, I guess I'll learn where the sweet spot is.
So back to the drawing board with relation to the water and I'll try again next weekend, a second strip with the still in 'pot mode'
You don't learn a thing when everything goes right. You learn a lot when everything go's wrong.
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
Is you pressure cooker induction capable? - or put another way does a magnet stick to the bottom.
IF SO a single induction hob would REALLY give you some control of the input.
IF SO a single induction hob would REALLY give you some control of the input.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
I have one but it cycles on and of to maintain temperature. I think they all do this.
I don't think an erratic heat source would be any good for distilling.
I think hot plates do this as well.
I don't think an erratic heat source would be any good for distilling.
I think hot plates do this as well.
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
it does but it is very quick and it is 'buffered' by the saucepan bottom.
email still_smart@yahoo.com and stay in touch. More details viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4947
-

Mash - Master Distiller

- Posts: 4595
- Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
- Location: Right here.
- Stills: SSSS
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
Perhaps perhaps perhaps. I can but try it.
Ill see if I can get it to maintain a steady but gentle boil with water first.
It would indeed be the ultimate way to heat a boiler.
Water is my main worry at the moment. PRV's, Ball valves, needle valves etc etc...
Ill see if I can get it to maintain a steady but gentle boil with water first.
It would indeed be the ultimate way to heat a boiler.
Water is my main worry at the moment. PRV's, Ball valves, needle valves etc etc...
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
Ah, don’t forget that if you’re boiling water, then you will be too hot. Alcohol is evaporated at a lot less temp than water boils!
I would d3ffo say a needle valve is a great way to control your water. The still spirits one that comes with the T500 does a great job and they can be bought separately
I would d3ffo say a needle valve is a great way to control your water. The still spirits one that comes with the T500 does a great job and they can be bought separately
-

H12rpo - Senior Distiller

- Posts: 440
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:06 pm
- Location: Wales somewhere
- Stills: T500
Re: LIVE ALAN MANNING FIRST STRIPPING RUN
H12rpo wrote:Ah, don’t forget that if you’re boiling water, then you will be too hot. Alcohol is evaporated at a lot less temp than water boils!
Yes, I just mean simply boiling water without the still head on. I could also cook some pasta for tea then.
I'll check out that needle valve, thanks.
-

Duffer26 - Experienced Distiller

- Posts: 126
- Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am
- Location: South West England.
- Stills: Manning Gin Still
26 posts
• Page 1 of 2 • 1, 2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests